Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BAD lag after parts install

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2006, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
BAD lag after parts install

I just got done installing an AMS 3" TBE, eBay 02 housing, Forge Wastegate Actuator, Forge MBC, and an MR bov. Started the car and checked for exhaust leaks and didn't find any but I didn't notice a very annoying rattle coming from the front of the car. I thought maybe the downpipe was hitting somewhere, but it clears everything. I decided to take the car out and see how it runs. 1st and 2nd pull real hard hitting 20psi and holding firm. After that though, I noticed that it doesn't seem to spool until almost 4,000rpm and it takes quite some time for it to get back up to 20psi again.

So after doing a bit of searching, with my rattle issue and my long spool up time, I'm guessing that I have a wastegate issue. When I took off the stock WGA, I forgot to note what position the lever was in on the outside of the hotside. When I installed the Forge WGA, I attached it with the lever pushed all the way towards the driver's side (if looking from the front of the car into the engine bay). Anyone know if I accidentally installed it with the flapper in the open position?

I'll probably just put my stock WGA back on and see if that fixes the issues, but I thought I'd check here and get some more advice.

Thanks Guys
Old Dec 22, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterNater
I just got done installing an AMS 3" TBE, eBay 02 housing, Forge Wastegate Actuator, Forge MBC, and an MR bov. Started the car and checked for exhaust leaks and didn't find any but I didn't notice a very annoying rattle coming from the front of the car. I thought maybe the downpipe was hitting somewhere, but it clears everything. I decided to take the car out and see how it runs. 1st and 2nd pull real hard hitting 20psi and holding firm. After that though, I noticed that it doesn't seem to spool until almost 4,000rpm and it takes quite some time for it to get back up to 20psi again.

So after doing a bit of searching, with my rattle issue and my long spool up time, I'm guessing that I have a wastegate issue. When I took off the stock WGA, I forgot to note what position the lever was in on the outside of the hotside. When I installed the Forge WGA, I attached it with the lever pushed all the way towards the driver's side (if looking from the front of the car into the engine bay). Anyone know if I accidentally installed it with the flapper in the open position?

I'll probably just put my stock WGA back on and see if that fixes the issues, but I thought I'd check here and get some more advice.

Thanks Guys
Ive got mine in the same position, and still hit 26psi@3200rpm
Old Dec 22, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe you need to adjust WG preload on your actuator. Which spring does your Forge WGA come with?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Maybe you need to adjust WG preload on your actuator. Which spring does your Forge WGA come with?
Well, I wish I could expand on the subject but it only came with one spring. The boost controller came with two but only one with the WGA.

EVOLVEU - Thanks for the info. Although I'm kinda disappointed because I was hoping this was my problem. At least now I know.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

It sounds like your waste gate is open, you need to make sure it is closed when not in boost, and then adjust the waste gate rod.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:19 PM

Have to ask did you check for boost leaks? most of the time its overlooked
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evotico
Have to ask did you check for boost leaks? most of the time its overlooked
Definately not a boost leak. It was one of the other things I checked for first, after checking for exhaust leaks. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I just got back in from the garage and I got the stock WGA put back on. Man, that is such a PITA without removing the radiator. Happy to say the rattle is totally gone but it's almost midnight here and I don't want to wake up the whole neighborhood seeing if the spool is back to normal, if not much improved. I think the root of the problem was simply not having the arm of the Forge unit adjusted properly. When I put the stock WGA back on, I bolted the bracket down first and noticed the arm didn't even reach the peg on the flapper lever. I had to attach the arm first and then pull the unit into place, hold it firm, and thread the bolts through the bracket.

I'm pretty confident this will solve my problem but I'll know for sure on my way to work tomorrow and I'll post up whether all is good.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

alright keep us posted i'm interested in finding out if that was the problem
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whitersevo
It sounds like your waste gate is open, you need to make sure it is closed when not in boost, and then adjust the waste gate rod.

Old Dec 23, 2006, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

After driving the car with the stock WGA, everything is back to normal. Spool up time is much faster with the upgraded 02 housing and 3" exhaust. The car sounds awesome and accelerates like a beast. Ultimately I just needed to adjust the Forge unit. So, if I get the ambition to rip everything apart again, the Forge WGA will go back in

Now I just need to give AMS a call and see if I can get in on the January tuning special
Old Dec 23, 2006, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MasterNater
After driving the car with the stock WGA, everything is back to normal. Spool up time is much faster with the upgraded 02 housing and 3" exhaust. The car sounds awesome and accelerates like a beast. Ultimately I just needed to adjust the Forge unit. So, if I get the ambition to rip everything apart again, the Forge WGA will go back in

Now I just need to give AMS a call and see if I can get in on the January tuning special
Nice, it will be a REAL beast after the tune, lol. Glad to hear your issue is resolved!