Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

boost leak results..vid

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2006, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost leak results..vid

ok so my results are that i do have some sort of leak on my new ix.. my piping is good buuuut i hear a leak or air moving from what sounds like under the valve cover right above the lil diamond.. also when i was doing the test it seemed like i kept gettin a whiff of gas...maybe it was just me i dont know the boost would stop at about 18psi and drop fast. when i drive the car hits about 18-21 psi (new exhaust on stock evo) and drop suddenly to about 10 and taper.. heres the vid
help me out please my car is so slow cause of this

Last edited by ddubdb3; Dec 24, 2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

no suggestions alright
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can solve the "whiff of gas" by using Bean-o! jk

You pump up the system to 20psi. STOP THE COMPRESSOR, and LOOK/FEEL for leaks. If you find them, fix them. The video you posted is not helping. you should get it to 20psi, and see if the gauge HOLDS the pressure (20), or it starts to drop off. that is why you haven't gotten a reply yet. The vid shows nothing. Good luck, you will find your leaks!!
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

i had boost leaks and changes all the stock hose clamps to t-bolt clamps. recheck the pipes and the couplers. use hairspray in the coupler to help seal the couplers to the pipes.

if you have never opened up the valve cover or spark plugs, you shouldn't have boost leaking through the valve cover.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

the gauge never holds this is how fast it drops...
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

yea it just sounds like air is doin somethin under there or somewhere near the injectors
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddubdb3
yea it just sounds like air is doin somethin under there or somewhere near the injectors
Start the car when the engine is cold, (Or buy an eyebrow pencil first-if testing on a HOT engine) spray carb cleaner around the injectors. If the car "boggs down", you found a leak around the injectors.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

when driving the car and boosting, does the car feel noticebly slower than say before you noticed the boost leak?

have you checked the boost lines leading to the boost guage?
Old Dec 24, 2006, 08:26 PM

what are you testing it with? You are doing it with a pressure tester right? If you are filling the system with air and you hear a leak and smell fuel, I would check around the injectors/fuel rail. If you have an electronic smoker, you could fill your pressure tester with it and then charge the system. You should be able to see the smoke leaking. If you don't have a smoker, take a rubber hose (couple feet of length) and hold one end to your ear and then other end where you think you hear it....
Old Dec 25, 2006, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 41ants
what are you testing it with? You are doing it with a pressure tester right? If you are filling the system with air and you hear a leak and smell fuel, I would check around the injectors/fuel rail. If you have an electronic smoker, you could fill your pressure tester with it and then charge the system. You should be able to see the smoke leaking. If you don't have a smoker, take a rubber hose (couple feet of length) and hold one end to your ear and then other end where you think you hear it....
WOW! Great ideas! Where were you when I needed you?
Old Dec 25, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tirbolag9
when driving the car and boosting, does the car feel noticebly slower than say before you noticed the boost leak?

have you checked the boost lines leading to the boost guage?
yes the car is definatly slower boosting at tenpsi is a big difference from 18....i hate it my boost gauge is good i have the stock mr gauge as well and it did the same thing. has anyone herd of leaks from the injectors or anywhere around that area???
Old Dec 25, 2006, 07:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
A while back a guy mentioned that he was getting a boost leak at a fuel injector seal. The fuel injector o-ring was not installed properly at the factory.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but my SW gauge doesn't move that smootly, above vacuum the needle with move with "steps" and not a smooth continous movement. Anyone else with this problem?
Old Dec 25, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

if the car is pretty stock then just take it to your dealer
Old Dec 25, 2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by ddubdb3
yes the car is definatly slower boosting at tenpsi is a big difference from 18....i hate it my boost gauge is good i have the stock mr gauge as well and it did the same thing. has anyone herd of leaks from the injectors or anywhere around that area???
If you think it may be leaking past the injector o-rings and smell fuel, DON'T drive the car until you fix the problem. I've seen too many pictures of cars going up in flames because of fuel leaks in the engine bay. Just pressurize the system and listen closely to different spots to see where the leak is coming from.

You should check all the vacuum hoses and connections on and around your intake manifold. I would bet it's one of those leaking if it is coming from that area.