Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help! Wedge collar will not click onto TOB

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2006, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Wedge collar will not click onto TOB

Did I f$ck up the wedge collar or what? I've pushed, slammed and pulled the clutch fork to the driver side over and over and the thing will not catch. I do not want to have to drop the tranny again to get this piece to work. Any suggestions? Does the collar have to be in a certain postion to hook up with the TOB? Would appreciate any help.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Scoot
Did I f$ck up the wedge collar or what? I've pushed, slammed and pulled the clutch fork to the driver side over and over and the thing will not catch. I do not want to have to drop the tranny again to get this piece to work. Any suggestions? Does the collar have to be in a certain postion to hook up with the TOB? Would appreciate any help.

I had to push pretty damn hard to get mine to pop into the collar...when you look through the inspection hole is the collar still springy and straight on the TOB???
Old Dec 27, 2006, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, still springy and straight on. I've tried a pry bar too and no luck. Thing is, even if I took the tranny off I wouldn't know what to do, short of getting a new wedge collar.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can you even get new wedge collars? i think you just have to get a pressure plate, but not sure. mine just snapped on nice and easy, no heavy pressure was needed.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Scoot
yeah, still springy and straight on. I've tried a pry bar too and no luck. Thing is, even if I took the tranny off I wouldn't know what to do, short of getting a new wedge collar.

Its an a matter of finding the balance of the right "tightness" of the ring on that holds the collar on the pressure plate. A little trick I learned when I used to work at one of the leading manufacturers for import clutches....

When you put the collar on the pressure plate -
1. slightly bend the longer "fingers" (the ones w/ little bends on the end) toward the outside of the collar from the base where it is already bent. key word SLIGHTLY
2. slip the 2 springs over the fingers onto the collar
3. take the collar w/ the springs installed and push the collar through the stationary portion (connected to the center of the diaphragm)...this may take some finageling (<--is that a word) if you bent the fingers to much.
4. now take the pressure plate and flip it upside down (surface that the disc contacts should be up) on something that will force the collar to bottom out and the fingers will protrude.
5. take the split ring and look at it...the section where its split should have NO gap. If there's a gap the ring might pop off when you try to "set" the TOB and you'll have to start over again. If there's a gap just squeeze the ring together til there's no gap - use your man hands...lol
6. install the split ring on the wedge collar. Do this by starting at an end closest to a split and work your way around to the other end. Each groove should have a "finger" in it from the wedge collar

Hope this helps, if you need more info or help PM me a contact # and Ill give you a call....Ive done this a few times...lol I used to actually assemble the pressure plates and installed a few on my evo and helped w/ a few others too. good luck
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:46 PM

the same thing happened to me. the problem was that on the install of the tranny i bumped the litte ring on the ring collar. if that is off at all it wont click in. i had to pull the tranny again. this time after installing the tranny just put in two bolt to hold the tranny and try to engage the clutch fork. that way you can find out before putting the whole thing back together.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dz4g63evo
the same thing happened to me. the problem was that on the install of the tranny i bumped the litte ring on the ring collar. if that is off at all it wont click in. i had to pull the tranny again. this time after installing the tranny just put in two bolt to hold the tranny and try to engage the clutch fork. that way you can find out before putting the whole thing back together.
That is exactly what happened!! Thanks alot RIES, sure enough after I ripped everything out again and the pressure plate I found that the ring that goes behind the plate had fallen off during installation and was sitting near the bottom of the clutch assembly.

It's 2AM and I just need to bolt up the t-case, axles, and wiring harnesses. I've been working on this since 4 in the afternoon. I'll be glad when it's all over. Havn't driven the Evo in about 2 months due to the tranny being rebuilt.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Happened to me too, need to pull it out angain..Try bending the tabs out a little bit to keep it in place better and try again..EVO clutches are good times huh
Old Sep 23, 2007, 09:09 PM

I will recomend to replace the wedge collar. That stupid piece on comes from a new factory pressure plate. You can not buy it separately. Only from the dealer. It cost me 219 at san antonio. Do not bend the tabs or anything from that thing. If it has play, just replace it. I hate that stupid part. Because of that I was without a car for a month. Till I figured out on how to get it.