Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

got my head back from being ported

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is it bad for a street car??
Old Dec 29, 2006, 06:22 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by xspsi4
Why is it bad for a street car??
Because of the shortened valve guides.Great for maximum flow,not so good for alot of mileage.I have found that with Motorcycle heads that I have ported for years,the 10-20% shorter guides will have a harder time keeping the valve seated perfectly after some miles are put on engine and do wear a considerable amount quicker.there is always tradeoffs and that is one of them when the guide is shortened.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

This car will get driven all of like 3000 miles per year and will prolly blow up in that time as well so I felt like it would not be a problem plus there was not that much taken off, I did check with a super reputable engine builder and he said not to worry that it was totaly safe. I will have to get chris (the guy who ported it) to chime in and tell why this was done this way. He could provide a lot more insight in to this.

Last edited by xspsi4; Dec 30, 2006 at 01:13 AM. Reason: sp
Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

I will post pics of the intake and exhaust manifolds as well.

Last edited by xspsi4; Dec 31, 2006 at 03:08 PM. Reason: gb
Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Velocity is greatly affected with that much flow. Flow bench is a must and you must be running one hell of a turbo.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Cnc is the best way to go......
Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

It would be interesting to see a comparison between this head and a buschur and ams head
Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly you prolly don't want those results, I am sure this is better. I have had an ams head as well as a buschur one on my 1g talon, I am not saying anything is wrong with their heads but you have to think how many heads their head port guy does (I know him personally) Quality gets sidelined to quanity,Basiclly what this guy does is take his time and taylor a head port for your level of mods and what you may have planned in the future, AMS or Buschur just has one generic port that works just not as well as one that is built for you. There is a flow bench onsite and each head is flowed. I will have to check with him and see if he wants me to post the numbers or not. I know he said he has hunderds of hours of r&d on 4g heads and has come up with some very useful ideas that are prooven to work.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG
Why Is that? This cost way less and is damn close to the same quality.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the kind replys guys, what xspsi is saying is true. I don't even want to think of the amount of hours in R&D I have in these heads. As for shaving the guides, it all depends on what the owner is doing with the car, but I will tell you this. I have had a head come back to me, to freshen up after 30,000 hard miles (wanted to upgrade his internals with better parts) and didn't see anything wrong with the guides or the valves. Before he took it apart I asked him to do a leak down test to see if it had any ill affects and I came back normal. The most I take out is between .190 and .200 which is next to nothing when it comes to the size of the vavle guides.

Motorcycles are not the same as 4g's, I compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. In this line of work you have to, or you will never excel at what you do. You will come out the same as everyone else. I didn't mind xspsi posting these pics because I have nothing to hide. I know there will be people out there coping my work and talking down on me and honestly, it really doesn't bother me. But I do have a design that I am working on, that there will be a writen contract with the buyer stating, that he will never show the port work and I will pick and choose who gets these heads, by what that person has done to prove themselves. I will see if I can dig up a picture of on the the guides I have cut down. As for anyone else that is interested in any port work PM me and I will get back to you asap.

You guys have a great new year, Chris

Last edited by HEAD DYNAMICS; Dec 31, 2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by xspsi4
This guy ports for some of the nopi guys so I don't question his actions.
I knew I was missing something on my resume.
Accomplishments:
-Ph.D. in Engineering
-MBA
-Walked on the Moon
-Ported a head for NOPI
Old Dec 31, 2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG
Do you have any reasoning behind this post? I have seen 5+ cnc port jobs leak coolant because the machine doesn't realize when it hits a coolant passage.(pin hole) These heads and expecially the older dsm heads have core shift where each head is not the same, and from one head to another have slightly different coolant passage locations.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Accomplishments:
-Ph.D. in Engineering
-MBA
-Walked on the Moon
-Ported a head for NOPI
If you need any work done on your RB26 head let me know. I have done a couple and have found some interesting things out on my flow bench.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 05:03 PM

Here is one of the guides. I pulled it from another site that im on all the time.
Attached Thumbnails got my head back from being ported-img.jpg  
Old Dec 31, 2006, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Accomplishments:
-Ph.D. in Engineering
-MBA
-Walked on the Moon
-Ported a head for NOPI
What is that supposed to mean? I didn't mean to turn this in to a pissing contest, I was just happy with my head and wanted to share.

Quick Reply: got my head back from being ported