Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

!!The Best BOV For evo 9 Recommend!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2007 | 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

From: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Originally Posted by HOSTILE_EVO
good to know about the fact that the bov needs to open at idle. how does it achive this through the vacum?
Post 11 in that tread above.

Originally Posted by Mike@Forge
The OEM Evo valves, however, have the intercooler piping pressure enter the valve through the port on the side of the diagram above, and this is better for three reasons.

One, the spring tension in the valve is not so stiff that the valve won't be "pulled" open at idle/under vacuum, thus it CAN open at idle maintaining proper function of the closed loop system.

Secondly, since the positive pressure enters the OEM valves from the port directly opposed to the main chamber, under load, the only pressure required to hold the valve shut is a combination of the spring pressure and the pressure reference from the intake manifold.

Lastly, at throttle lift, not only will the valve immediately open from the residual charge pressure "pushing" the disk off of its seat, but the return of the intake manifold to vacuum will also "pull" the valve open releasing the residual charge pressure before any lag or compressor surging can take place.
Old Jan 26, 2007 | 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

No BOV should be open at idle (without any positive presure).... Electric ones may be (like AUDI A4 or VW ones - although I don't see any reason why they need to)... Not the mechanical one like we have in IX.....

I think you are talking about wastegate in turbo... Yes, diaphrame (Boost solenoid) should be opening the wastegate electronically when idleing.... NOT THE BOV!!!!!

If you like sound of BOV, go for the aftermarket one. But, make sure to tune it for it though... Stalling is mainly from rich AFR anyway.......

Fluttering is the cause of difference in gradual strength of spring between stock one VS aftermarket... Pretty much aftermarket springs is weaker on initial load pressure.... that's all.....

Originally Posted by HOSTILE_EVO
good to know about the fact that the bov needs to open at idle. how does it achive this through the vacum?
Old Jan 26, 2007 | 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Stock. Sounds Nasty, but just not as loud as aftermarkets.
Old Jan 26, 2007 | 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

My buddy let me try out his SARD R2D2 and it VTA and no stalling issues here on an 05 VIII...Sounds crazy also...
Old Jan 26, 2007 | 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

From: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Originally Posted by DanInPA
No BOV should be open at idle (without any positive presure).... Electric ones may be (like AUDI A4 or VW ones - although I don't see any reason why they need to)... Not the mechanical one like we have in IX.....

I think you are talking about wastegate in turbo... Yes, diaphrame (Boost solenoid) should be opening the wastegate electronically when idleing.... NOT THE BOV!!!!!
Wrong. The stock DV will open slightly at a low vac. level. They need to compensate by adding some pre-metered air at idle to mix with the fuel. Otherwise it, again, creates a rich condition (less air + fuel = rich).

Originally Posted by DanInPA
If you like sound of BOV, go for the aftermarket one. But, make sure to tune it for it though... Stalling is mainly from rich AFR anyway.......

Fluttering is the cause of difference in gradual strength of spring between stock one VS aftermarket... Pretty much aftermarket springs is weaker on initial load pressure.... that's all.....
Wrong again, you dont tune for a DV, its not a perf. adding part (in most conditions - not talking about high psi cars here - then its a perf. maintaining part...). Think about it this way our ECU is looking for the air at idle and between shifts. That air from the DV is pushed back into the intake (remember this air was already measured by the MAF) and mixes with the fuel already being sent there (based on MAF reading).

Fluttering at part. thrd. is caused by stiffer springs - they want to hold it the DV closed so they flutter a little. This is not an issue.

Please read that DV tech article.
Old Jan 26, 2007 | 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Wrong. The stock DV will open slightly at a low vac. level. They need to compensate by adding some pre-metered air at idle to mix with the fuel. Otherwise it, again, creates a rich condition (less air + fuel = rich).
That's why it is circulating but is pressure enough to open DV at idle... I don't think so... Adding back is air through circulation is after load drops each shift or change in pressure. Hence it is a diverter valve.... I don't see how it can add more air by opening DV when it's idleing....

Wrong again, you dont tune for a DV, its not a perf. adding part (in most conditions - not talking about high psi cars here - then its a perf. maintaining part...). Think about it this way our ECU is looking for the air at idle and between shifts. That air from the DV is pushed back into the intake (remember this air was already measured by the MAF) and mixes with the fuel already being sent there (based on MAF reading).

Fluttering at part. thrd. is caused by stiffer springs - they want to hold it the DV closed so they flutter a little. This is not an issue.

Please read that DV tech article.
Again, you are talking about change in loads not when idleing... Fyi! - your comments on MAF is correct.. You and I were talking about 2 different situations... By the way, you can compensate for the amount of fuel duty cycle in the higher than stock boost situation even with the MAF based fueling... That is because load zone is different between idleing and each shift of gear or change of pressure to a certain degree...