Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

no oil

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no oil

2700 miles ago I changed the oil in the car, soon after the change I put a forge blow off valve and a turbo back exhaust using stock cat. I ran the BOV recirculated for awhile, but wanted to see what it compares like running VTA. I encountered the common problem associated with this (studdering, check engine).

When I got the check engine checked out just to be safe the guy told me too rich in bank one, I figured it might be the o2 sensor(turboback) or simply the BOV.

Yesterday I let the car sit outside the whole day without driving it, and then today while driving it to work I stayed under 3000rpm the whole time cause I didn't have much gas. After work and filling her up I step on it in first gear, but nothing happens. At first I thought I was in 3rd cause it wasn't pulling at all. At the next lights I make sure I'm in 1st and same thing, the car
does not take off like a beast, it just dragged it self up to about 3500rpm and would not go past it. At first I thought the turbo is not spooling, but why? I limp it back home and it never once went past 4000rpm. I checked everything today and all seems well, except oil. When I first pulled out the dip stick it was soaked in oil , after reinserting it a few times, it's bone dry I went and bought some oil
mobile 1 10w30 fully synthetic(which is what it had before). 4 quarts went in there
and the dip stick shows about 3/4" past top line, after ideling for about 15 minutes. I looked everywhere around the engine, turbo, drain plug, filter, but never noticed any stains from oil leaking. The check engine light goes away, but the car still does not accelerate past 3500rpm. I was tinking it had to burn all that oil up but how? tail pipe smoke always looked the same, another odd thing is that up to about two weeks ago it would backfire a cloud of black smoke, upon redline shift into 2nd, I thought it might have stopped due to the warmer temps.
Anyone have any suggestions? hopefully on friday I will get it checked out by a mechanic
Old Jan 3, 2007, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by riceclown
and the dip stick shows about 3/4" past top line, after ideling for about 15 minutes.

Best time to check oil quantity is on level ground after engine has fully cooled (overnight)
Old Jan 3, 2007, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

+1
Old Jan 3, 2007, 09:36 AM

I'm gonna do that right now, but do you guys have any ideas what might be causing this problem?
Old Jan 3, 2007, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Not sure about the oil part, but you might have a boost leak somewhere?
Old Jan 3, 2007, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

you messing with the stock parts like the bov and exhaust, usually bolt ons will not hurt but there is not resonable explanation for needing a aftermarket bov. take that crap off and if it still happens go to the dealer with your car completely stock.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Also, make sure your clips are on the intake snorkel and the check for blown off IC connections.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

change the spark plugs. also check the intake scoop on the air box to make sure that the clip are in if not it can lift up to the underside of the hood and cut off the air trying to get in the engine and not run good. this did happen to a friend car and it took for ever to find out what is was.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If air supply aint the problem

Check oil properly and then add accordingly, then go find the leak. It may be a loose coupler - when you boost it slides off venting all the air outside instead of into the throttle body.

Can you hit 5000rpm with light throttle [while still in inches Hg (vacume)] but when you boost you can't? Then loose coupler
Old Jan 3, 2007, 08:55 PM

I checked the oil after the car sat all day, and it seems to be an inch above top notch after adding 4 quarts.
In gear the car wont go past 3500rpm regardless of what gear. I did rev it once in neutral and it barely went up to about 4500-5000 without sounding really bad, it doesnt even sound as loud as it used to, its like.. there is no turbo "sound". Also, in first gear I held it at 3500rpm for about 3 seconds and the car got really jumpy and jerky.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

a inch above the full mark? i would drain the oil and put the correct amount back in. since the car drove correctly before the bov install, reinstall the stock bov and triple check all your connections are secure and correct
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by riceclown
I checked the oil after the car sat all day, and it seems to be an inch above top notch after adding 4 quarts.
In gear the car wont go past 3500rpm regardless of what gear. I did rev it once in neutral and it barely went up to about 4500-5000 without sounding really bad, it doesnt even sound as loud as it used to, its like.. there is no turbo "sound". Also, in first gear I held it at 3500rpm for about 3 seconds and the car got really jumpy and jerky.
Your oil level has nothing to do with this. Drain your oil and add the proper amount. An inch above the full line seems to be about 4qts over full

Check for boost leaks and also check to make sure the intake snorkel is secured to the radiator support. If that is loose and sealing on the hood you will not boost and your car will bog badly.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:50 PM

I had the BOV installed for about 2 months and it was all fine, until now. It might be over filled with oil but when I checked it with a warm engine it was showing nothing not even the tip of the dip stick was getting wet.
I just got back from tearing the whole air box, inter cooler piping and bov apart and nothing seems odd, although there was signs of oil on the turbo propeller and inside the intake tubing connecting the maf to turbo inlet. I also spun the turbo propeller with my finger and it would spin about 10 times around without much effort. Is the intake propeller seperate from the exhaust propeller cause it seemed to me like they were spinning independent of each other?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 12:14 AM

the compressor wheel and the exhaust wheel are connected by a solid shaft...
Old Jan 4, 2007, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

I hate internet diagnosis...

Hope you get it figured out....

Being that the check engine light was on. And would rev over 3500 rpm. Sounds like the ECM is trying to limit the car from hurting itself due to a malfunction it is sensing....

Quick Reply: no oil