Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Meth injection a band-aid?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2007, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bro
it sounds strange but some of the water actually gets burned up, heres a link to the explanation.

http://not2fast.wryday.com/thermo/wa..._chemistry.txt
Perhaps, but water doesn't burn as fuel and raise the octane rating like alky/meth.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesnt burn but it does evaporate and expand. So in a sense it aids in the total combustion process occurring in the cylinder.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 05:16 AM

thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. you know those guys that you just cant argue with, or your just to smart to start an argument with, cause their ***** are so large?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

either yo like it or you dont. I think the person you ask just didnt know enough about it to help you so he said to stay away. now it is up to you on do I run it or not.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
omg TTP, that made my dayyyy for that im going to you guys for an alky kit!
Old Jan 4, 2007, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Perhaps, but water doesn't burn as fuel and raise the octane rating like alky/meth.
Water is H2O Warrtalon. That is 33% Oxygen. That is over double the O content of air. Not only will water cool the temps but it raises the amount of Oxygen availible to burn in the combustion chamber. Primarily water is used to cool temps and prevent detonation but it promotes a cleaner burn as well.

In case you didn't know Oxygen in the air is what mixes with the gasoline and burns old chap.

Last edited by Evol.ved; Jan 4, 2007 at 05:55 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

the alcohol acts as a chemical intercooler.........one that could never be replicated by a standard intercooler.

as far as im concerned...........it's the sh_t.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Evol.ved
Water is H2O Warrtalon. That is 33% Oxygen. That is over double the O content of air. Not only will water cool the temps but it raises the amount of Oxygen availible to burn in the combustion chamber. Primarily water is used to cool temps and prevent detonation but it promotes a cleaner burn as well.

In case you didn't know Oxygen in the air is what mixes with the gasoline and burns old chap.
the oxygen in the waster does not get burn in the combution chamber, the water is merely turned into water vapor. the process of removing the oxygen from water is more complicated than just exposing H20 to extreme heat. if it was that easy, hydrogen powered car would be more rampid since it would be so easy to extract hydrogen from water, but that's not the case.

that being said, i wouldn't run an alky/water injection kit on my car because it adds another level liability to an already overly complicated engine (compared to NA) and i don't like the fact that you have to refill the system. i would rather add no maintenance parts like cams or upgrade turbo.

Last edited by honda-guy; Jan 4, 2007 at 06:34 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:29 AM
Former Sponsor

this makes no sense.... you never took a chemistry class did you?

first off, water (H2O) is not 33% oxygen. H atoms have an atomic mass of 1 while O atoms are 16. thus the atomic mass of H2O is 18, with 16/18 = oxygen content being 88.9% of the water.

next, you said that is more then double the content of air? that makes no sense as well. air, is a mixture of molecules. it is not a "set" value of oxygen. commonly oxygen is 30ish % of air, but air being a gas depends heavily on density for total oxygen "content". anotherwords, you cannot compare the amount of oxygen in water to air without knowing density, volumes, humidy, temp, etc etc etc...

you are correct in assuming water cools temps and prevents detonation... but that has already been said 5 times. why does it prevent detonation?

a good reason, auto ignition (a form of detonation), occurs when cylinder temps are higher then the auto-ignition temp of the fuel. this occurs when intake temps and pressures are high, then when the piston compresses the charge many times more you get temperature spikes, which can burn the fuel without even having a spark. this form of detonation can be reduced or eliminated by cooling the intake air by intercooler or chemically by using the energy absorption during vaporization of water and or methanol. the benefit of methanol over water is, methanol also acts as a fuel. water doesn't, and essentially just "Takes up space" in the combustion chamber that could be occupied by more air or gas/meth (i.e. more power).

of course! but its not the oxygen in the water thats burning, its the oxygen in the air!
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

I nominate this post as the early frontrunner for post of the year.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Bottom line meth/alky is a cheaper way then buying race gas. I recommend using 51% water and 49 meth or if you want just use e85 it's proven to my knowledge.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

OMFG! Post of the year for sure.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Seriously, that post makes me feel stick to my stomach..... water is 33 percent oxygen........

Scorke
Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Water does not split into H2 an free oxygen in the combustion chamber, it remains in the vapor form.

Even if it DID manage to split the molecules, no process is 100% loss free, so you would lose more energy spliting the water molecules than you gained by subsequently burning them.....

Keith
Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

oh dear.........anyways, here some good reading material

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/rich.php

Quick Reply: Meth injection a band-aid?