Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Meth injection a band-aid?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2007, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meth injection a band-aid?

Spoke to a tuner today that specializes in turboing 4 cylinder NA's. Make a long story shot, when I made mention of meth/water injection he cringed. Showed me a kit that he once had in a customers car that was now on the shelf where as far as he was concerned was where it belonged.

I didnt want to argue with him, so I kept comments to myself. Curious as to what you guys would have said? I did mention more aggressive timing being possible, and keeping things cool, but he argued that the heat the meth/water is suppressing is essentially being created by the aggressive timing, which is walking backwards according to him.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor

he doesn't know what hes talking about. the heat the meth/water take out is from compressing the air. and more correctly, inefficiently compressing the air.

edit: think of meth and or water as a hardcore intercooler. meth can actually cool the intake temp below ambient temps. no air/air intercooler in the world can do that
Old Jan 3, 2007, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
he doesn't know what hes talking about. the heat the meth/water take out is from compressing the air. and more correctly, inefficiently compressing the air.

edit: think of meth and or water as a hardcore intercooler. meth can actually cool the intake temp below ambient temps. no air/air intercooler in the world can do that
X2......
Old Jan 3, 2007, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of people will argue that water/meth injection is a patch for poor cooling. In my opinion, all you have to do is cool the charge. It doesn't matter how you do it.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

This guy is basically talking out of his ****...

Meth injection on the evo allows for basically the same tune as race gas at a fraction of the total cost since you only pay when you play. The HP increase is good but the real difference is in gained torque.

It's best to only talk about things that one really knows about first hand.

I've driven them both ways and the difference is VERY noticeable. Sure there are risks, but with the level of failsafes that are now available, the risks have become more tolerable.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 03:56 PM
Bro

water injection doesn't just cool the charge, the water actually takes part in the combustion process smoothing the burn and supressing detonation. There are some technical articles floating around on the web somewhere.

It really is the equivalent of running race gas but still need good intercooling and ignition timing.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
sounds like the guy u spoke with had a bad experience with meth

i had a bad experience with one of my ex gf's did i stop having sex and dating girls...no...move on and learn lol
Old Jan 3, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

using his logic, the turbo is a band-aid also then. That's just retarded.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bro
water injection doesn't just cool the charge, the water actually takes part in the combustion process smoothing the burn and supressing detonation. There are some technical articles floating around on the web somewhere.

It really is the equivalent of running race gas but still need good intercooling and ignition timing.
Well, water itself doesn't do much of that, but with alky or meth, it not only cools (doesn't cool as well as water, but that's ok), but it burns as fuel in the cylinder and raises the effective octane to race gas levels. The lesser cooling of alky vs water is more than overcome by the raising of octane.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 04:30 PM
Account Disabled

Response enters translation machine--->
Translated: We do not fully understand what meth injection is. Furthermore we do not know how to tune it, hook it up correctly or use it. We live our lives a 1/4 mile at a time bolting turbo kits on Civics and Neon Expresso's. Our motto is "fake it till you make it". You would be better off finding another shop. Thank you, please drive through.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Have to agree with that ^^^^^

I also have to laugh my *** off at the "Neon Espresso" reference. Holy crap, that was mint...
Old Jan 3, 2007, 04:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
TTP made a funny haha
Old Jan 3, 2007, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have about 10,000 hard miles on my SMC alky kit....almost 60k miles on the evo total, and I couldn't be happier. The Wideband still showing low 11s every day when the hammer is down.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Meth Injection is only a band aid to running race gas on a daily basis; I actually prefer to use meth injection as it allows me to save a ton of money running 93 octane on a daily basis and still run high boost when I need to drop the hammer
Old Jan 3, 2007, 09:22 PM
Bro

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Well, water itself doesn't do much of that, but with alky or meth, it not only cools (doesn't cool as well as water, but that's ok), but it burns as fuel in the cylinder and raises the effective octane to race gas levels. The lesser cooling of alky vs water is more than overcome by the raising of octane.
it sounds strange but some of the water actually gets burned up, heres a link to the explanation.

http://not2fast.wryday.com/thermo/wa..._chemistry.txt

Quick Reply: Meth injection a band-aid?