Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT carbon multi disc clutch.....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carbon on Carbon...

Are you saying that the intermediates plates are made of carbon too?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope they get it in around 2k. Theres plenty of other clutches out there that are proven performers in the carbon/carbon market that are in the 3k or lower price range.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

I would actually start to consider this clutch as an option at $2k.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Id buy one right now, the pics on socalevo.net are GORGEOUS. Apparently its going to be a contender to the tilton though, so Im thinking 3k is probly going to be about right. Bit out of my price range.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 05:07 PM
Former Sponsor

You have to remember that a true carbon on carbon twin takes five layers of carbon versus the two layers (discs only) from the carbon/steel clutches. The carbon is not cheap stuff and makes up for about 75% of the cost of this clutch.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so no plans for a cerametallic twin plate? i've always heard that carbon isn't that good on a daily driver because it needs to be pretty hot to work properly. is this false information i've been told?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hondafan
so no plans for a cerametallic twin plate? i've always heard that carbon isn't that good on a daily driver because it needs to be pretty hot to work properly. is this false information i've been told?
We are contemplating a metallic twin but in general I don't care for the tradeoffs for street cars. Price would be very good though compared to carbon materials of course. Our carbon doesn't have to heat up to perform, but it does get more aggressive as it gets hot as most carbon clutches do. A lot of the "heat up" requirement with carbon depends on the carbon being used. So is it false information? Yes and no.

The cold coefficient of friction is still pretty high with our material. How do we know? We continue to perform clutch and material testing (more like play time) on a 9 second alcohol injected SB Camaro (Jim's car). We estimate the car is making about 600ftlbs of torque. To give you an idea, with a 240mm single disc carbon/carbon clutch installed on the Camaro we have no slippage with only 2200lbs of clamp load. This is basically the stock size and clamp load of an EVO. We tried using only 1650 lbs of clamp load and it slipped the length of the track. We were all laughing to see the clutch afterward because it was fine.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:28 PM

I spoke with ACT regarding this clutch when I was at PRI and it seems like a nice piece, but the lack of a ceremetallic disk right now is going to make it cost prohibitive for a lot of people who can sometimes barely afford a twin disc as it is.

I have run only Exedy ceremetallic twins in my personal car since the single disc ACT's stopped holding, but I imagine this clutch will work quite well. If anything, it sure looks cool. I think a ceremetallic option would definitely be a hot seller.

Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much does the entire assembly weigh compared to stock?
Old Jan 5, 2007, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

If its for 2K that i am gonna go for it or else ATS twin carbon
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ACTman

The cold coefficient of friction is still pretty high with our material. How do we know? We continue to perform clutch and material testing (more like play time) on a 9 second alcohol injected SB Camaro (Jim's car). We estimate the car is making about 600ftlbs of torque. To give you an idea, with a 240mm single disc carbon/carbon clutch installed on the Camaro we have no slippage with only 2200lbs of clamp load. This is basically the stock size and clamp load of an EVO. We tried using only 1650 lbs of clamp load and it slipped the length of the track. We were all laughing to see the clutch afterward because it was fine.
Sounds like a single with spring center would be the ideal street clutch. When will that be available? If you need a tester for it let me know.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Sounds like a single with spring center would be the ideal street clutch. When will that be available? If you need a tester for it let me know.
I agree, and we almost went into production of such an animal (solid, not spring centered). From a peformance standpoint it makes sense but from a business standpoint it didn't. Keep in mind that it still takes three layers of carbon to make such a clutch or possibly four layers if you make a spring centered disc conventionally (lining on both sides). The most practical method is to use the stock stamped cover and modify it to try and save cost. But how many people do you think want to spend over $2000 on a single disc carbon clutch that looks like stock? Otherwise add another $200-400 for a lighter anodized billet cover, etc but you still have just a single disc. So we opted for the twin and as a result could reduce disc size, etc. BTW, spring centered might be quieter for the street, but now you defeat one of the chief benefits of using carbon which is the light weight of the disc(s) which ensures quick shifting regardless of rpm and less syncro wear.
Food for thought.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Is this available yet? Any updates
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

^^^+1
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

i m so excited to see this thread... I will be shopping for a new clutch this summer once i turn the boost up with alky. When will this be available?