Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

700 miles...Needing new Synchros

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been reading a lot. I think i will just go wiht the flow for now.
I haven't beaten on it and the car was not a demo as far as i know. Only had 14 miles on it when i bought it.

In the event i do end up getting transmission work done, i would want to go all the way.

Get the longer 3rd, 4th, 5th, gears from the VIII and the HKS 4.11 final.

I figure with that i should be able to cruise around 80-90 mph on turnpike without revving close to 4k.

Plus it will give me more reason to add more power.

As Ricky Bobby said: GO FASTER......FASTERRRR! or something like that!
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
too early for synchro failure? do you time your shifting with clutch and de-clutching? that is the only reason I think why it would fail or you bought a demo car that was abused early on. the evo is loud to say the least and maybe you or the tech is confusing that for tranny grinding or whining

From a lot of the therads on this subject it seems that a few of the evo's left the factory with the synchros not lined up correctly (laymans terms). When people had their transmission fluid changed it would be full of metal specks. It would make sense that the longer you drove the less it would crunch if it's shaving off bits of metal.

Personally, I'd rather get my synchros changed under warranty now and keep the warranty for the next thing that fails rather than have to ship my transmission anywhere, even if shep is a wizard.

Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 5th gear was grinding since day one...

got it fixed for free...
Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by naiculnila
Most likely you are right....i'm just annoyed because i had a Cadillac CTS-V that i ended up trying to lemon after the transmission and differential blew up along with a slew of other problems.

My luck would really be horrible if this car started having big issues as well.

It was not a good experience going through the lemon process.
Are you the one with that hilarious vid on streetfire?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mitchubishi
Are you the one with that hilarious vid on streetfire?
no....i saw that too...hilarious!

There are plenty of us out there with problems like that ! ! ! ...which is why i wanted to get rid of it.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

I replaced my synchros about that same time. I haven't had a problem with the car as a whole since.

And just to let you know, chances are, if you blew your tranny and transfercase in your 4000 lb american steel car; your going to blow your tansfer case in your Evo too... And no, that doesn't make it another lemon; that makes YOU a lemon.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Mine is very notchy going into 2nd and my VIII was the same way but its only when its cold out. In the summer it shifts fine so I dont worry about it. Now that the IX gears are closer, I find myself just shifting from 1st to 3rd when I am not trying to drive fast and then it shifts great.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

the reason they feel notchy is bc its a new transmission... You have to give it time to break in.. Ive had 2 Evos and i had the same issue and now its smooth and i have 36k miles on it.. Ive always used Penzoil Syncromesh and it works like a charm... Been using it on both Evos and it was recomended by Jon fron TRE that builds Evo trannies and TCs... Theres nothing wrong with the your transmission!
Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KOEvo
I replaced my synchros about that same time. I haven't had a problem with the car as a whole since.

And just to let you know, chances are, if you blew your tranny and transfercase in your 4000 lb american steel car; your going to blow your tansfer case in your Evo too... And no, that doesn't make it another lemon; that makes YOU a lemon.
Not to sound rude, but your statement about blowing the tranny is a bit flawed.

Do some research and see that the CTS-V was shipped with an extremly underrated differential unit. The tranny blew up due to the dealer not wanting to fix the diff which in turn destroyed the tranny.

Sucks but that's how it was manufactured. 300 lb.ft differentiial in a car with 400 lb.ft
Old Mar 16, 2007, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2003 EVO with 30k miles. My 1->2 shift is now very rough. It doesn't grind but sometimes when I go to shift it wont and it feels like its pressed against spining bearings. I am a very aggressive driver but I dont abuses the car.

What is the warranty on a used 2003 EVO?

As third owner do I keep the 5yr/50k warranty? If the answer is yes then I'll be taking my car to the dealer for repair. All of my mods less the testpipe and camber plates are well hidden. I would put the converter back on before taking it in. I wonder if they would give me crap about the camber plates.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Do you think the sales guys at the dealer drive these cars to hard and then when people like us buy them, we wonder why things are messed up?
Old Mar 16, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

#25 I would just call a dealer with your VIn and see how much warranty is left...

#26 I know some dealers do beat them. First time i ever test drove an evo 8 a year back , the sales guy beat the ballz off it with me in the car...then he told me to get in the drivers seat and see what it can do...i did NOT buy anything form him.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zwampy
#25 I would just call a dealer with your VIn and see how much warranty is left...

#26 I know some dealers do beat them. First time i ever test drove an evo 8 a year back , the sales guy beat the ballz off it with me in the car...then he told me to get in the drivers seat and see what it can do...i did NOT buy anything form him.
I knew it!!!!!! Dirty Bast*&^$
Old Mar 24, 2007, 02:53 AM

How much did you get your scyncro for
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

got it under warranty....