Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Any stock clutches over 80K miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine went 58k.

I was stock. Just bought a new one yeseterday to put in during the 2.3 build. Stock is still looking pretty good
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Good input guys, thanks.

Bump for some more higher mileage EVOs.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I raped mine after the first month, maybe 2000 miles. I bought a Exedy stage 2 ceramic disk and it has been holding strong for 9 months and 18000 miles of HELL...
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Dude in all honesty, if the stock clutch treated you so well; why would you want anything else? I guarentee you that no aftermarket clutch is going to last 80k miles.

My clutch has also lasted 30k with plently or racing and launching; and i was thinking the other day, "why would i want any other clutch, when i am still under 400 hp and the stocker has treated me so well...?"

I mean, sure i can go spend $1200 on an Exedy and know it will easily hold my power level for 30,000 miles; but why in the world would i do that, when i can go spend half that and last just as long? If not longer...

Now if you plan on running over 400whp, which is pretty much a turbo upgrade; i would suggest getting an Exedy, otherwise... Why not go with the proven solution? I think the stock clutch has more than proven itself for you.

Last edited by KOEvo; Jan 5, 2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

I got my Exedy clutch for $650 and had it installed for $395.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

KO,

Good point about the stock clutch working well for me. I agree I am pretty pleased with it based on the mileage I see others getting from theirs. To have my local Mitsu shop replace my stocker, they quoted me $1425. If I were to go with the ACT or Exedy they are about $500-$600 and I could get it installed for $500-$600(?), I'd be a few hundred ahead (not a lot of money but still cheaper). My logic is that if EVO owner "A" got 20K miles on the stock and 30K miles on an ACT or Exedy I would see a similar trend in my car (a few more miles than the stock clutch maybe). I also thought that the increased clamp load on these clutches may help a bit down the road with launches and maybe some more (minor) power mods.

Originally Posted by KOEvo
... if the stock clutch treated you so well; why would you want anything else?
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GroundChuck
KO,

Good point about the stock clutch working well for me. I agree I am pretty pleased with it based on the mileage I see others getting from theirs. To have my local Mitsu shop replace my stocker, they quoted me $1425. If I were to go with the ACT or Exedy they are about $500-$600 and I could get it installed for $500-$600(?), I'd be a few hundred ahead (not a lot of money but still cheaper). My logic is that if EVO owner "A" got 20K miles on the stock and 30K miles on an ACT or Exedy I would see a similar trend in my car (a few more miles than the stock clutch maybe). I also thought that the increased clamp load on these clutches may help a bit down the road with launches and maybe some more (minor) power mods.
Don't go to the Mitsu dealer to have a clutch installed, they will rip you off $$$$.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

there are act cluthes that are crazy stiff and some that feel stock i had 4 clutches in my car 2 types of act ,and exedy and the stocker!
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Almost 55K on my stock clutch.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:14 AM
Former Sponsor

I would definitly go with stock unless you plan on changing your driving style or add a bunch of power. My 03 evo had 45k of many launches and every day commuter abuse. Installed the exedy twin disc after that.
The clutch was great, but was probably a bit of over kill for the mods I had. It obviously had a heavier pedal than stock and was a bit chattery when cold. Other wise no complaints. My mods where TB exhause, 272's, fuel pump and tuning.
My 05 still has the stock clutch at 30k with no signs of any problems. Granted I only have a TB and have only launched it once or twice. I Plan on getting as much out of the stock clutch as possible. When it comes to clutches, it all depends on what your doing with the car.

Last edited by sr20det91; Jan 5, 2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

76k and still looks great congrats my car has 28k on it !
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:27 PM

My Stocker is still at 69k going 70. I am pretty conservative on the HP. Its an 03 with 264's gears, fuel pump, DP, Cat Back (Stock Cat) and Hyperforce System. Last dyno was around 270whp on a Mustang Dyno. It chatters some time as I have botched some launches and started on hills. Also have track days on the clutch as well. Still holding.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Ya, I don't think I'd go to the dealership. I will probably go to AMS (I live in Kalamazoo so they are only a couple hour drive).

Originally Posted by EVO8904
Don't go to the Mitsu dealer to have a clutch installed, they will rip you off $$$$.
SR20,
I hear you guys on the stock clutch. I am just not feelin it though. I sort of look forward to my car parts wearing out, then it's chance to upgrade, I'd feel like I missed an opportunity . Not to mention the stock clutch is about $850 at Mitsu.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

^^ $850 !! That dealer is over charging you in parts.
Clutch disk----120
Pressure plate---180
Throw out bearing---45
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GroundChuck
I have a 2003 with 76K miles. The clutch is still working like a champ. At the rate I am going, I should be at 80K in late March and 85K in June(ish). I found a few threads on high mileage clutches but I only found a few folks who made it over 80K.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=211287&page=2
I am just trying to plan accordingly so I know when get the clutch replaced (and so I know when to have my research done to know which one to choose). I am currently looking at:
The ACT
http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...products_id=37
or the Exedy
http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...roducts_id=822

Any input from the high mileage folks would be appreciated (even more appreciated if you have high miles AND one of the above clutches ).

THANKS!!

Driving Style: Fairly spirited, no drag racing, been to Gingerman 3 times (plan to go once or twice a year), 82 miles a day commute.

Mods (nothing major): AMS flash, AMS TBE, fuel pump, MR BOV, HKS drop in filter

Future Mods: Forge Unos MBC, Cams?, probably not much more (I plan to drive this thing until the wheels fall off).

Desire: A clutch that will out last the stock one (85K? 90K?) and bite a bit more (I burnt mine bad twice screwing around )

My baby resting in the garage (old summer shot):

I have 61200 miles with your same mods give or take a few. I don't baby it and I don't drop it at every light at the same time either (but have to on some occasions heck its an Evo ) On my last trip to dealer for 60k timing belt change I brought up the same question to the mechanic as to why it has lasted so long.

His answer seemed logical: He said he has replaced 2 clutches on a single 05 Evo and he said the customer flat out said he beats on it. He summed it up by saying most people either don't know how to drive stick (sarcasticly) by either beating on it, riding it, and all the other ways to lessen the longevity of the stock clutch.
After reading all the forms about the stock clutch faliling with so many people with such low mileage, I told him I felt like mine was like a time bomb. But he said it felt fine and there is no reason for it to go out under 60k miles or longer. Just like anything, if you were to slam on the brakes at every light at the last second, sure your going to need new pads faster. Same holds true with the oem clutch. My clutch now: I have no slippage etc. And I change trans fluid every 6k with Mitsu oem fluid. So its not luck some peoples oem clutches last so long, it all comes down to driving, or lack thereof, habits, not the actual Mitsubishi oem clutch that is to blame.

Last edited by BUCKNAKED; Jan 5, 2007 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Any stock clutches over 80K miles?