Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Standalone or Ecu flash?????

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM if you want big power gains. I picked up 50whp with just the AEM and a great tuner! This was on top of already having a custom tune on the stock ecu.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 01:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The power is found by using a good tuner.. Not the Engine management..

The only drawback of the stock ECU is you have to eliminate the MAF once your at airflow levels that cause the MAF to misread. I use a blowthrough Aftermarket MAF setup.

The AEM is a good unit, but its not really good for a daily driver, and especially if you have to be concerned about passing an inspection.

The answer to your question is you CAN make your desired power on the stock ECU, and there is no need to spend alot of money on an AEM if your not really interested in learning to use it yourself.

Your parts combination will have a bigger effect on your power potential than your choice of engine management.

The big thing with the AEM is it has very simple knock control compared to the ECU, so it offers very little of the protection you get with the stock ECU, Typically this is where the additional power comes if there is any, but that also results in what could be an unsafe tune. In other words, if your just looking at Knock sensor voltage, its alot easier to be ignorant of the potential for doing damage.

Thats partly why I dont recommend the AEM for a daily driver, there are just too many variables that can affect your tune in a manner that an AEM cannot accomodate without spending the time to tune it properly over a period of time and over several seasons (if you have weather changes severe enough to warrant it)
Old Jan 4, 2007, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

I would call TTP. They are right there in Florida, not sure where, but one of the VERY respectable tuners on this board. Also, IIRC, that turbo isnt the best choice. You could probably get a better turbo for less money. I heard that thing is a slug. 30r or 35r might be a better choice.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 20psiMR
I would call TTP. They are right there in Florida, not sure where, but one of the VERY respectable tuners on this board. Also, IIRC, that turbo isnt the best choice. You could probably get a better turbo for less money. I heard that thing is a slug. 30r or 35r might be a better choice.
+1 on going w/ a different turbo kit...that GReddy kit isnt worth the $$$ IMO
Old Jan 4, 2007, 04:42 PM

why is everyone knocking the Greddy 25g turbo????? I use that same turbo on my Civic turbo, and i fell in love with it. spool up is great and it made good power at low bost levels. I made 500Whp at just 21 psi.
I figure that with a realy big cam, porting and a similar set up, i should be able do do pretty close to that. 50hp less in a car that hooks should be pretty awesome.I don t think i am being greedy by looking for 450. We will see. I will keep you guys posted. Untill then, i will just try to make my final descision on what to do with the ecu.
Thanks guys for all your input. I still don t hear anyone being really confident about doing this on the stock ecu, so i guess we are leaning towards the 1500-1800 dollar option
Old Jan 4, 2007, 04:43 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by skold
AEM EMS is the way to go to get the most out of your car, and flahses are kinda of a waste i think, ifyou spend the money on a good tune and tweak the timing you can make some amazing number and make the car a little safer too.

And this comes from what real world experience? Possibly you sticking your thumb up your butt? Honestly if you don't know what your talking about please shut the **** up.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

actually i have a buddy who has a AEM for sale..3.5 bar map..$1000 i believe...i can look more into it and find out for you...
Old Jan 4, 2007, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

i have an aem never had my car flash.the car starts great in the summer or winter in south louisiana.for a daily driver i think is a toss up an aem with a good tune will startjust as good as the factory ecu.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by GT35REVO8
actually i have a buddy who has a AEM for sale..3.5 bar map..$1000 i believe...i can look more into it and find out for you...
Is that still for sale?????
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:49 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GReddy 25g manifolds crack easy.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

ill let you know talonmotorsports...
Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In 4-5 years, no one will have a choice whether or not to use the OE ECU on a daily driver... All but trailer queens will have to use the OE ECU in order to keep the car legally registered.

I highly suggest www.Jestrtuning.com for ECU tuning... he is in Orlando, FL. See review below!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=237375
Old Jan 5, 2007, 08:22 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bullfrg
TTP Engineering is in FL, IIRC. They should be able to flash your ecu.
Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2007, 08:25 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 20psiMR
Thank you... Yes, we are located in Orlando, FL.

We can handle your listed modifications without the need for a standalone.

Send us a PM.

Ported head, Valvetrain, 280deg Camshafts, and a walbro pump. I am planning to change the stock turbo setup, to the Greddy T67 25G turbo kit, and i have a set of Denso 720cc injectors ready to install. My goal is pretty much 450whp.

That turbo is capable of 500-550whp on racefuel with proper tuning. 450 on pump should be attainable.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Thanks
You are welcome. I appreciate the help on the alky failsafe. Need to send my Zeitronix in to be updated then I will be ordering stuff to finish that project.

Quick Reply: Standalone or Ecu flash?????