Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Standalone or Ecu flash?????

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_08
i have an aem never had my car flash.the car starts great in the summer or winter in south louisiana.for a daily driver i think is a toss up an aem with a good tune will startjust as good as the factory ecu.

Did you have any drivability issues with your aem? Did you have to re tune again for changing weather conditions of hot, cold and humidity? I want to run aem but worried about be stranded in the middle of no where because the aem needs to be retuned due to changing weather conditions
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock reflashed ECU has more safe guards built in and a more sophisticated knock detection system. Subsequently, compared a properly tuned AEM it is a lot more inconsistent. This is because the ECU can pull timing on knock counts as low as 1, which may or may not be real knock...

A good tune on a stock ECU typically has about 5- 10 whp variance between back to back runs on the dyno, whereas a good tune on an AEM varies about 1 whp.

On a bad tune on the stock ECU in three runs I have seen some other peoples tunes vary as much as 30-40 whp.

If you want to be the fastest guy around get an AEM, if you want your motor to last forever get the stock ecu reflashed, while neither option guarantees either outcome, AEM basically is built for speed... Stock ECU is built for safety... In a nutshell.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The AEM EMS has its place, BUT NOT FOR YOUR GOALS. There is a lot of really bad info from misinformed members telling you to get the AEM. You won't have any issue on your stock ECU until you are well passed 500WHP (dynojet). I know, I did this myself.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

If you have big power goals, then you will have to go standalone. I am at 500+ whp with the stock ecu. The air sensor is becoming a problem now. If your plans are below 490whp then I would stick with the stock ecu. I dont think no standalone can compete with years of R&D of OEM ECU's. I will be aquiring a standalone shortly and 600whp here I come. I cant help it... I am a horse power junkie!!
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:36 PM

Thanks guys i guess Ecu flash it is!!!!!