Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Standalone or Ecu flash?????

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standalone or Ecu flash?????

I am currently trying to decide wether to invest in an AEM standalone computer, to get a custom Ecu Flash tune for my evo. My current mods are: Ported head, Valvetrain, 280deg Camshafts, and a walbro pump. I am planning to change the stock turbo setup, to the Greddy T67 25G turbo kit, and i have a set of Denso 720cc injectors ready to install. My goal is pretty much 450whp.

The question is: Do i really need to spend another 1500 dollars to achieve this??? Or can the Ecu Flash handle it?????
Old Jan 4, 2007, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

theres a guy in hawaii with that same turbo kit..not sure what cams etc..but no head,block work..he put down 444awhp at 27psi...i believe he was on AEM EMS,but dont quote me.he also had pump gas with additives,thats why he was able to boost that high on stock block...if i were you i would go with AEM EMS..look for a used one if you want i got the 5bar map 30-1313U with wideband and uego for $1800..more parameters, etc..i recommend it..you will see the difference between AEM and Flash.

a guy with a evo IX on here with a GT35R at 31psi and ECU flash put down 518awhp,now with AEM i bet those numbers would have been way higher with same boost level..
Old Jan 4, 2007, 12:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You do not need a standalone to do this.. A reflash (Custom tune with ECUFlash or whatnot) can easily handle your mods.

If you want a set it and forget it type of thing, and aren't really interested in tweaking it or experimenting, then a reflash may be your best choice.

Typically I suggest most street driven cars need to retain OBD-II to pass an inspection. However considering it looks like your from Florida, Its not as critical for you.

However, a reflash is a better choice for a daily driver.

The MAF is really the only issue when your dealing with the stock ECU, though there are quite a few 500whp cars running a reflash, I don't use a stock MAF and am using a stock ECU, so your options are out there.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

pretty much what he said...depends on what your looking for..AEM will net you more HP,but yes a flash will handle your mods.i personaly recommend AEM..ive seen guys run a flash and not get good results.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 05:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Its all about the tune, not the engine management. Power potential for either when their properly tuned is very similar. With the level of flexibility ECUFlash now offers, you should be seeing very little difference in power unless you are tuning the car beyond a safe threshold where the stock ECU would protect the engine.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Well Wartalon knows alot about this, but what i have collected from him isn't helping me much here. I would you could pull it off with just a Flash, but not a mail in. You need to get your car on a dyno. As for the standalone EMS, well they are expensive but give you alot more options than your stock computer, but There has got to pro and cons listed somewhere so i would find out as much as you can about the EMS before you go and buy a 1500 dollar item to be disapointed in it.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

a flash will do fine, but the stanalone will do better. when you tune the stock ecu it is more prone to knock. with a stanalone you dont have the same problem. look at the autronic ecu, that is what I have on my car better than the aem.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toddevo 8
a flash will do fine, but the stanalone will do better. when you tune the stock ecu it is more prone to knock. with a stanalone you dont have the same problem. look at the autronic ecu, that is what I have on my car better than the aem.
No, the stock ECU is FAR more conservative with knock than the AEM will be if you are getting tuned by one of the reputable AEM guys out there.

I tune my car myself using ecuflash and I absolutely love it. The car is VERY strong on the street and drives like stock. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

A proper flash is all you should need. I would research an E-Flash as MJ suggested.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:31 AM

You see the real problem is that i was told that my Factory Ecu would not do sowell with the cams that i have installed. I forgot to mention that they were the Tomei 280deg 11.5 lift (Big Cams!!)
Are they any good Ecu flash tuners down here in south florida???? Reccommendations???? Remember guys, 450hp is all i need. Won't complain though if i make more

Last edited by Talonmotosports; Jan 4, 2007 at 07:34 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

TTP Engineering is in FL, IIRC. They should be able to flash your ecu.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

AEM EMS is the way to go to get the most out of your car, and flahses are kinda of a waste i think, ifyou spend the money on a good tune and tweak the timing you can make some amazing number and make the car a little safer too.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Aem
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

well 450whp is gonna be hard to get on a greddy turbo kit with stock ecu...like i mentioned earlier a guy in hawaii has that turbo kit with a standalone and put down 444awhp on high boost,but hey you never know..call speedelement and ask andy what he thinks..he works with flashes,AEM,autronic,and motec.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Are you open to other turbo choices? Are you trying to get 450 h.p. on straight pump gas? My numbers are with a utec. I know it's not that popular anymore, but it works great. I eventually would like to switch over to an AEM. You can definately get a better idle with a standalone.

Quick Reply: Standalone or Ecu flash?????