Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aftermarket air filter comparison test!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone know if its possible to mount the Apexi filter on the HKS intake pipe?
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure it is, but completely unnesessary. What makes the HKS so powerful is that it's filter lets TONS of air through, but in return it also can't filter as good. Any company can make a filter that does so, most just choose not to polute their customers cars.

I brought this thread back because it is VERY hard to find an Apexi intake for the Evo, and it is rare to see. I was pretty much just braggin because i put mine on yesterday.

NOW, supposedly because of the shape of the filter, turbulance is supposed to be an issue of the past, and for us that means a car that drives like normal w/ untuned intake.

This intake is VERY under rated... Cleanest, most powerful, easiest running. It's all we could ever ask for.

Edit: Though in no way am i saying intake provides any gains over stock, and i understand if one wants to provide any gains w/ and intake over stock, it must be tuned.

Last edited by KOEvo; Jun 29, 2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Anyone know if its possible to mount the Apexi filter on the HKS intake pipe?
I am using the HKS RS pipe with Apexi filter on my evo 9 !! I read a air filter test done by Option magazine in Japan a few years ago, they test about 6-7 different brand air filter and the Apexi filter got the highest HP gain, since then I use the Apexi filter on my EVO 8 and now the EVO 9.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

I always use K&N, not the best! but the best for the value.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Trustz
I am using the HKS RS pipe with Apexi filter on my evo 9 !! I read a air filter test done by Option magazine in Japan a few years ago, they test about 6-7 different brand air filter and the Apexi filter got the highest HP gain, since then I use the Apexi filter on my EVO 8 and now the EVO 9.

I'm pretty sure the HKS RS would show more gains, but none the less, the Apexi power filter is THE superior filter in the market right now, and is extremely under rated. Big flow, Big filtration, Little aggitation, i'm amazed everybody doesn't have one.

BTW, does anybody have pictures of one installed on their Evo that they can post? I had to do some serious customizing to get mine in there, i would like to see what other people have going on.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

sorry, delete, wrong post.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

The Apexi intake appears to be well designed. Excellent filtration, power, etc...

I've had my eye on this for a while, but my car was tuned with a K&N drop-in. I don't really want to pay a few hundred $$$ for a re-tune after swapping to an Apexi kit.

Any idea if this dual funnel design which claims smooth airflow would not require a re-tune?
Old Jun 29, 2006, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

I use the K&N and find that some of the filters oil does get into the Maf but up till now it hasn't caused any problems. I might just pick up a Apexi filter just to eliminate any possibility of a bad maf signal.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

That article gets and a
Old Jun 29, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Did you have to do anything special to get it mounted properly? Or do you just slip it on and clamp it down? I'm getting rid of my HKS filter ASAP.

Originally Posted by Trustz
Old Jun 29, 2006, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

- The original test was based upon the results found when using filters specifically made to fit the Toyota Supra. However, the filtration is unlikely to differ, as all the filtration materials used are the same for every model of car.

ok, we all know every intake differs from car to car, so maybe for the toyota supra it worked good, but it may not be the case for the evo.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

You need to get a Apexi air intake kit for the EVO, Not just a Apexi filter !
Its like:

turbo<---HKS RS pipe<---Air flow meter<---Apexi adapter+Apexi air filter

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Did you have to do anything special to get it mounted properly? Or do you just slip it on and clamp it down? I'm getting rid of my HKS filter ASAP.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Ohh right...obviously. Thanks Trustz, you kick ****!
Old Jun 29, 2006, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I read a air filter test done by Option magazine in Japan a few years ago, they test about 6-7 different brand air filter and the Apexi filter got the highest HP gain, since then I use the Apexi filter on my EVO 8 and now the EVO 9.[/QUOTE

I was curious about this test so I did a search on the Lancer Register Forum(our British cousins) and there was sharp debate on the methods used in this particular filter comparison test. It seems that the filtration results were obtained by strapping the filters onto vaccuum cleaners and not onto automobiles.

Also, the Brits found the Apexi filter to be restrictive in applications above 350 whp(not an issue on a vacuum cleaner), due to its small size. At any rate, I just thought you guys might wanna know before selling your K&N's and buying a new Apexi.

Look I wish I could link you to the thread but I am a computer moron....sorry. Maybe someone else can go on, Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum, and do a search for "induction kit", w/o the quotation marks, and post the link. Thanx

Last edited by sparky; Jun 29, 2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Any pics of the Apexi Power Intake installed? How much do they go for?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket air filter comparison test!