Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aftermarket air filter comparison test!

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2003, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Aftermarket air filter comparison test!

If you're wondering what's the best aftermarket filter for your car.. Click here

You are entitled to have your own opinion on this because they create the same hp but filtration wise is a different story.
Old May 23, 2003, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

how do i purchase one??
Old May 23, 2003, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

post your CCN .. I'll take care of it
Old Jun 28, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Just got Apexi, i'll let you guys know how she fairs.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

pretty good read. I like the Idea of the dry media just because its very easy to over oil a "wet" filter and coat the maf with oil. I have thought about apexi but never heard much of anything at all good or bad.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Thats cool, getting the Apex-i one when I decide to change out the stock airbox
Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the K&N. Never really liked the HKS shyt! I have nothing HKS on my car because to me its not worth the money.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

i didnt read the entire article, just the reviews of each filter, and im sure the answer to this is on there, but what car were they making 13-14 bhp from a air filter? and if it was an evo then why does everyone on this forum get all uppity if people are buying intakes for motors with less than 400 hp? Im down for a 13 hp filter change...
Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

This kind of makes me want to do my own test....but instead of measuring the filtering ability I would measure their ability to flow air. Do you think it would work if I hooked up a vacuum to the stock MAF sensor and then tried hooking up different intakes and then measure the MAF voltage the each intake flows.....you guys think that would work?

Only problem that I see is that a vacuum probably flows no wear near as much air as a real car so that may effects the results...but it should still proved a bases for comparison amongst different intakes

Last edited by dudical26; Jun 29, 2006 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

there are many threads on the intake/HP debate; almost as many as BOV/boost. basically what i get out of it is, if you wanna see the positive gain of an intake/drop in, you need a tune/flash. what i see most is, unless you are running higher boost with bigger turbos, you really only need the drop-in or a cone filter (using the stock intake pipe). if you plan on getting a bigger turbo kit, keep in mind some come with a hard intake pipe. this is where good future planning come in to play and mapping out your stages of upgrades.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by KartaRailed
...but what car were they making 13-14 bhp from a air filter?
They used a Supra.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

I'm just curious on how the test was perfomed. I mean how did they drop the carbon particles onto the intake, the position of the intake, and how long was the vacuum run after the intake was expose to the carbon? Do you guys get what I'm trying to say? Like if you change the position of the intake from sideway to upright, then the HK$ and Blitz will do poorly because those intake suck in air from the side and top. Apexi and K&N doesn't. Also, if the vacuum was ran for longer period of time then ofcourse it's going to collect more carbon dust.

Well lets say that all test were fair, then the next question is, "Is HK$ quality that bad?"

Well all know that leting dirt into your engine or even the MAS is bad. From the test, it seems like your MAS will die within a year or two according to amount of dust or carbon that HK$ filter let in. I mean HK$ is the number saler in aftermarker filter if their product is crappy. I have HK$ filter on my car and my brothers and their running fine after 4 years.

Does any EVO owner out there have an HK$ intake and it's causeing them MAS problems?
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

I have the HKS filter. It doesn't appear to cause any issues. I have had it on for about a year, and all is well. Though, I hear nothing but negative comments about the HKS filter from local DSM tuners. "Filtration is horrible, gains suck"..etc.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run with an HKS filter (suction intake) and I have noticed my honeycomb is deteroriating. HKS
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks like apexi is the way to go...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket air filter comparison test!