Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Helix 3" Turboback Exhaust Review w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Helix 3" Turboback Exhaust Review w/ pics & sound clips

EDIT: Here's a video of the full turboback exhaust (w/ high flow cat): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIfa9OBFIHo

I recently purchased a Helix 3" Turboback exhaust package from Gruppe-S at a very good price, and today, the installation began. Here's my story, please note, I've bolded the key points for those who hate reading long-winded posts.

The order consisted of:

Helix O2 Housing
3" Helix v2 Downpipe
3" Helix Cat-back Exhaust

I also purchased, from a fellow EvoM member, a used Helix 3" High Flow Cat to match the rest of the system. All in all, my total cost was $810 shipped. The installation was done by a friend of mine, as he owns a long-time custom exotic car shop, and has seen every performance part you can think of.

The order was placed & paid on 12/20/06 and the parts were received on 01/04/07 (with exception to the v2 Downpipe, which is backordered for another few weeks) that's an 11 business-day turnaround from Gruppe-S, which is great, considering it shipped for free, via UPS ground, from Cali to Boston.

The parts arrived in acceptable packaging, and the quality of the materials (as stated by my 30+ year experienced friend) was "absolutely exceptional. The welds, the material, the fitment... all some of the best work I've seen."

The installation was very straightforward, there were absolutely no fitment problems, HOWEVER, the bolts included with the product were very small (12mm, perhaps less). The job requires bigger, 14mm bolts, with lock washers to raise the head of the bolt away from the welds. This was disappointing, as I had to purchase approx $40 in hardware to install the exhaust properly. There was simply too much play in using the small bolts that came with the exhaust, and the larger 14mm bolts hold it extremely well.

The other point of note is that, the Cat-back section has a weld with a very tiny hole at the bottom. My tech said that it appears to be where the weld was started/stopped, and does not appear to be intentional, HOWEVER, he did say that often times, holes at the bottom of the exhaust near or at the muffler are intentional to drain condensation out of the system. I do not know whether or not this is intentional or just a small weld error, but either way, it does not "leak" exhaust or look bad whatsoever... there is simply small condensation drops (which is probably a good thing).

to be continued (O2 housing and downpipe yet to be installed)...

The sound of the system, as-is (with stock O2 housing and downpipe, but using Helix HFC and Helix Cat-back), is absolutely phenomenal. The low idle (900rpm) is virtually the same as stock. Low-to-mid revs are very deep and not even the tiniest bit raspy. The high rev is enough to make me smile every time I shift. It is fairly loud with just the HFC and CB, although I've heard louder (systems with downpipe & test pipe erupt a bit more than this does).

All-in-all, I'm extremely happy with my purchase. The hardware mistake is disappointing, and keeps me from saying this was a flawless experience, but at the end of the day, I know I've got a quality, great-sounding exhaust that fits like it should, looks like it should, and sounds like it should. Thank you to Gruppe-S and to Helix!

Here's some soundclips (these are from a digital camera so the quality sucks):

http://www.psysem.com/EvoIXStockExhaust.mp3

http://www.psysem.com/EvoIXHelixCatback.mp3

Last edited by recompile; Apr 1, 2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks really nice i wanted this exhaust but went with hks. Heard this one is really loud.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:34 PM

looks nice...did u call them to tell them about the bolts so other people wouldnt have to spend an extra $40? u think u can get a sound clip?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

I'll have a sound clip tomorrow (although a crappy one with digi cam video).

I took one with stock exhaust this morning, I'll post em both so you can compare. Also keep in mind this is only with HFC and Cat-back for now.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

i have a helix dp on the way right now, cant wait to hear the sound, i might go with the full system
Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Can you get some pics of the installed DP?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

looks good

Im glad to hear you are happy w/ your purchase...Im trying to decide if I wanna change up my cat back exhaust and have been eyballin the Helix
Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

I also have the Helix 3" exhaust. I love it, the sound, the look, fitment. Great.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I just received my Helix V2 downpipe from GruppeS. It looks flawless and definitely lighter than my earlier V1. But, you will be disappointed again because it did not include any hardware at all! No bolts and no gasket!

Last edited by spyderx; Jan 4, 2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also, you may want to cutoff one the bolts on your drive shaft coupling shield. It was rattling on my midpipe also replced all rubber hangers w/ poly Kartboys.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Here's some soundclips (these are from a digital camera so the quality sucks):

http://www.psysem.com/EvoIXStockExhaust.mp3

http://www.psysem.com/EvoIXHelixCatback.mp3
Old Jan 8, 2007, 01:42 PM

I have to say how impressed I am with this turbo-back system. I got the whole system shipped for about $850 with CA tax. I recieved the package 2 days after ordering. I got the catback, testpipe, and DP installed the day after, minus the o2 housing because the exhaust shop wanted me to bring the car in when they could let it cool for a few hours. They were scared to crack the turbo with it hot. Huge power difference with those 3 things. It sounds so mean at idle, and WOT it just houls like a beast. My car is in the shop as we speak getting the o2 housing installed. I will post some detailed pictures of the whole installed system later tonight.

Last edited by Triox; Jan 8, 2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

looks nice and sound nice...
Old Jan 8, 2007, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Does the helix cat back have a o2 sensor bung?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 02:42 PM

yeah, you mean the CEL fix? Its got a hole in the catback to either plug in the o2 sensor if you have a testpipe, or plug it up if your still running a high flow cat.

Quick Reply: Helix 3" Turboback Exhaust Review w/ pics