Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATP Turbo Kit Intake Solutions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATP Turbo Kit Intake Solutions

ATP includes everything in their turbo kit to supposedly make it "a direct bolt on replacement." As many of us know this isn't exactly the case; but regardless, the largest problem plaguing me at this point is an intake pipe/system that utilizes the stock MAS. ATP does not include any intake solution with their kit, and odviously the stock intake pipe isn't going to mate with the inches larger cold side of the GT series turbos. Another problem is making a pipe that fits the larger GT turbo but reduces enough to fit the much smaller MAS without creating a suction problem inside the intake tract (though this problem has already been solved by many vendors intake pipe offerings). Lastly, supposedly regular GT series intake solutions that are offered don't fit ATP kits right because of the different placement of the turbo caused by using the stock manifold.

SO i need help finding a solution. I have talked to a couple ATP kit owners that have already made intakes work that utilize the stock MAS, but i couldn't get many answers out of either of them.

One of which used the Injen intake w/ UICP for the stock turbo, but that is all the info i got from him, i have no idea how he made this work with the larger GT turbo. Though this does seem like the most logical option seeing as it is made for use with the stock MAS and also is made for the same turbo placement as is offered by the ATP kit/stock turbo. I'm sure it is as easy as just simply purchasing a reducing coupler that reduces from 4" to 3" where the intake pipe meets the turbo cold side. But i just really am not sure if this is truely how it was done, or if this will work without problem, or where to get such couplers.

Next another ATP owner stated that he used Shearers intake solution for their similar gt turbo kit. Though this user wouldn't provide me any fitment information or any photos. So i have no idea if he had to do any custom fabrication or not.

So i guess i am just looking for some help here. I know this seems simple for most of you; but i am the type of person that won't even be installing my turbo kit myself and i will not be able to custom fab something myself. I just need to know what to buy and from where, in order to make an intake pipe that uses the stock MAS and mates to a gt30r that is mounted in the same position as the stock turbo.

Any info helps, thanks.

Last edited by KOEvo; Jan 7, 2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:10 PM

Solution!

Call Eric at AMS and he can get ya set up! Problem solved. The manufactured one for my gt30!
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:13 PM

The injen air intake pipe will definitely work with the ATP GT3071R (my previous setup).

Last edited by Batmann!; Jan 12, 2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jspecEVO
Call Eric at AMS and he can get ya set up! Problem solved. The manufactured one for my gt30!
Well i can't exactly just drive down there and have on fabbed up, i live accross the US from AMS; and this isn't any regular gt30r. Unless you are using an ATP kit that they already have a jig for... I'm also hoping for something a little cheaper and more generic then having something custom fabbed. Of course i could just have something custom fabbed by a shop, but i was just hoping there was an easier/cheaper solution out there that is proven to work and not create a vacuum.

Last edited by KOEvo; Jan 7, 2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Batmann!
The injen air intake pipe will definitely work with the ATP3071R (my previous setup).
I just don't understand, because i thought the Injen pipe is for the stock turbo inlet? I don't get how it ALSO fits around an inlet an inch larger...
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

The injen pipe probably uses a reducer coupling to go from the pipe to the turbo. So you would just have to find a coupling that went from your turbo to the injen pipe?
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Just about any hardpipe intake kit made for our cars should work...you would just have to run a different silicone coupler/reducer from the intake to the turbo inlet
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

^ simple enough, where do i find such couplers?
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

do a google search for reducer couplers or samco
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

You probably need a 3 inch to 3 inch coupler. That is what i needed for my injen intake with my rnr 50 trim kit. Just measure the diameter of your turbo inlet and see what size it is. My guess its going to be 3 inch. I bought mine from Horsepower freaks from eric and like i said it was 3inch all the way through.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

make sure you get at least a 4 or 5 ply coupler

check siliconehose.com they have everything you could need
Old Jan 7, 2007, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03redtype-s
You probably need a 3 inch to 3 inch coupler. That is what i needed for my injen intake with my rnr 50 trim kit. Just measure the diameter of your turbo inlet and see what size it is. My guess its going to be 3 inch. I bought mine from Horsepower freaks from eric and like i said it was 3inch all the way through.
So the Injen is 3"? Anyone know what size stock turbo inlet is?

If stock inlet is 3" and gt30r has 3" inlet, than just any stock turbo intake would work... I am pretty sure the gt30r has a 4" inlet. Do you guys think a 4" to 3" coupler is going to work fine, suction wise?
Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ries
make sure you get at least a 4 or 5 ply coupler

check siliconehose.com they have everything you could need
Are the couplers on this site 4 or 5 ply? Do you know anywhere else i can get them, the largest they go on this site is 3.625" ID, which i don't think will fit over a 4" inlet.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try jegs.com
Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.boostcontroller.com/index...3868d244f372d8

here you go....

#ASCR3-X. Silicone Reducer - 3 inch length

its 4 ply.. 3 colors

and they come in the size you need