Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock vs TBE + MBC + EcuFlash

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2007 | 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Whats up Jordo? This is Raheel from HT (Hy-Tech turbo kit)... So you're over in the Evo world now huh?
Old Jan 8, 2007 | 03:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Hey Jordan,

We just did a similar setup on our customers car

Evo

3" dp
3" test pipe
greddy TI
MBC
LICP
and our flash the result was

11.9 @ 114 on pump

One of the biggest differences will be from the tune.
Old Jan 8, 2007 | 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

with those mods you should see high 11sec 1/4mile times. a stock EVO does low low 13's so yeah thats a big difference.
Old Jan 9, 2007 | 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbologist
Whats up Jordo? This is Raheel from HT (Hy-Tech turbo kit)... So you're over in the Evo world now huh?
aww, man whats up dude?

I still have the integra. It has a k20z1 in it now though, im debaiting wether to throw another fullrace kit on it. gt30r this time.
Old Jan 9, 2007 | 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EFIxMR
Hey Jordan,

We just did a similar setup on our customers car

Evo

3" dp
3" test pipe
greddy TI
MBC
LICP
and our flash the result was

11.9 @ 114 on pump

One of the biggest differences will be from the tune.
high 11s is a huge difference, what model of car was it? Rs or gsr?
Old Jan 9, 2007 | 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Nice.. My bro just put the AFI top mount set up on his with a 4294(i think thats the one he settled on).. Should be a beast..

Im thinkin about selling my M and getting a IX...
Old Jan 9, 2007 | 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbologist
Nice.. My bro just put the AFI top mount set up on his with a 4294(i think thats the one he settled on).. Should be a beast..

Im thinkin about selling my M and getting a IX...
you should, man i love my EVO, it is alot of fun even in stock form.
Old Jan 9, 2007 | 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Well, you may or may not have stared at dynographs, but if you did search, you would have known right away that there's HUGE differences with basic stg1 mods. Hell, just look at the drag racing forum at all the IXs running 11s and low 12s with just a few basic mods. Or, look at my sig...that 330whp is based off a IX with 260-270whp in stock form. So, for less than $1300, we're talking a 60-70whp. Now, in your case, you spent a ton of unnecessary money, so you aren't going to get much bang for your buck, but you will definitely get a lot more than what you'd get on a Honda with equivalent mods.

With these mods and a good EcuFlash custom tune, you will be ecstatic as long as you can get over the unnecessary money spent (yes, I keep harping on this so that other Honda noobs hopefully don't make the same mistake).

Last edited by Warrtalon; Jan 9, 2007 at 08:17 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2007 | 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Well, you may or may not have stared at dynographs, but if you did search, you would have known right away that there's HUGE differences with basic stg1 mods. Hell, just look at the drag racing forum at all the IXs running 11s and low 12s with just a few basic mods. Or, look at my sig...that 330whp is based off a IX with 260-270whp in stock form. So, for less than $1300, we're talking a 60-70whp. Now, in your case, you spent a ton of unnecessary money, so you aren't going to get much bang for your buck, but you will definitely get a lot more than what you'd get on a Honda with equivalent mods.

With these mods and a good EcuFlash custom tune, you will be ecstatic as long as you can get over the unnecessary money spent (yes, I keep harping on this so that other Honda noobs hopefully don't make the same mistake).

Honda noob huh, if YOU would have read, it does say "ecu flash". I am going to tune the car using ecuflash, hence my unnessary purchases (wideband).

your signuature is very vague also, it simply states IX = 330whp.

Last edited by jordo; Jan 9, 2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2007 | 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

I already changed the tune part in my post before you posted - sorry about that. The wideband is by no means unnecessary - it's an excellent choice. The Invidia o2 was a mistake, and a TI cat-back was a huge expense for no extra gain. This happens a lot with new Evo owners who used to be Honda owners, thus the term Honda noob.

My signature is not vague - just click on the hyperlink for details.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Jan 9, 2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2007 | 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

I already changed the tune part in my post before you posted - sorry about that. The wideband is by no means unnecessary - it's an excellent choice. The Invidia o2 was a mistake, and a TI cat-back was a huge expense for no extra gain. This happens a lot with new Evo owners who used to be Honda owners, thus the term Honda noob.

My signature is not vague - just click on the hyperlink for details.
What is your reasoning for saying the Invidia o2 was a mistake? Price? because the price i bought it for wasnt the reason. It is one of the largest ones also, 2.9" vs most are 2.75.

Im curious to know, I was going to just go with a megan one, but i was worried about fitment with downpipes. The invidia 02 housing better fit with the invidia downpipe.

now the ti cat-back, i strictly purchased that based on aesethics and weight loss. 3" piping is 3" piping. again the price i paided was pretty good so.

Last edited by jordo; Jan 9, 2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2007 | 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Because we've already done testing on that one vs the Works 3" and the regular Ebay ss o2 2.5" (most are 2.5", not 2.75"), and the Invidia made the least power while being the only one that didn't fit properly. It also is about triple the cost of the regular SS O2. The fact that it's 3" (yeah, 2.9" technically) doesn't help it to make more power unfortunately. All 3 were tested on the same car and with matching downpipes.

There is no reason to worry about fitment on the Megan o2 (same as the Ebay o2), since tons and tons of people already use it, but you are right that the Invidia fits the Invidia DP better. There was no reason to get an Invidia DP, though.

Yeah, aesthetics for a much higher cost. There's not much aesthetics, though, when all you see is the muffler. Yes, 3" piping is 3" piping, but some TI cat-backs aren't actually 3", but even if they are, they make no more power than a stainless steel while costing twice as much (or more) and only saving 8lbs in the area where weight savings is less valuable (the rear). If you got that cat-back for $400 or less, then the price was justifiable, but otherwise, the claim of the price being "pretty good" is the same as what everyone else claims when trying to justify the expenditure. Basically, if you end up with something close to a $20/HP ratio, then you're good, but I think you'll be closer to $30/HP.
Old Jan 9, 2007 | 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Because we've already done testing on that one vs the Works 3" and the regular Ebay ss o2 2.5" (most are 2.5", not 2.75"), and the Invidia made the least power while being the only one that didn't fit properly. It also is about triple the cost of the regular SS O2. The fact that it's 3" (yeah, 2.9" technically) doesn't help it to make more power unfortunately. All 3 were tested on the same car and with matching downpipes.

There is no reason to worry about fitment on the Megan o2 (same as the Ebay o2), since tons and tons of people already use it, but you are right that the Invidia fits the Invidia DP better. There was no reason to get an Invidia DP, though.

Yeah, aesthetics for a much higher cost. There's not much aesthetics, though, when all you see is the muffler. Yes, 3" piping is 3" piping, but some TI cat-backs aren't actually 3", but even if they are, they make no more power than a stainless steel while costing twice as much (or more) and only saving 8lbs in the area where weight savings is less valuable (the rear). If you got that cat-back for $400 or less, then the price was justifiable, but otherwise, the claim of the price being "pretty good" is the same as what everyone else claims when trying to justify the expenditure. Basically, if you end up with something close to a $20/HP ratio, then you're good, but I think you'll be closer to $30/HP.
Honestly that might be the case. Im just hoping the new add-ons will hold me over, until i can get my Integra finished.
Old Jan 9, 2007 | 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

I believe you will be elated with the gains.
Old Jan 9, 2007 | 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thisxguy
mustang dynos read lower than dynojets...so if you compare, make sure they're coming from at least the same type of dyno

IXs are MORE responsive to basic mods when compared to VIIIs
Mustang dyno actually reads higher.

Quick Reply: Stock vs TBE + MBC + EcuFlash