Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Nitrous, Boost Leak?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In theory it may not sound like a good idea but in reality the combo makes stupid power on the stock turbo, with a 50 shot I was trapping 122, now witha 75 shot and a new mix of methanol the car should trap an easy 126 on stock block...
Old Jan 9, 2007, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steelcityevo8
your motor is not going to last long ace. especially sprayin right in 1st gear. u might want to spray later say 3rd & 4th. i assume this is for drag racing cause nitrous serves about no other purpose
I have NX wet kit on my Evo and I sprayed a 75 shot for 3 years trapping 125mph. Never had any issues. The motor was still running and making crazy power when I pulled the motor to rebuild it. My car was flashed for the mods I had on the car. I installed the NX kit used the jets they told me to use for a 75 shot. Put in my wide band and went and sprayed it. It was tad bit ricer and pulled better timing so I left it like it was. I was trapping 115mph to 116mph in the 1/4 off the spray and with the 75 shot it was trapping 125mph....

You can buy a 1/16 tap to tap it in the I/C pipe. It is like $10 or $15 from NX or NOS.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spooledevo
I have NX wet kit on my Evo and I sprayed a 75 shot for 3 years trapping 125mph. Never had any issues. The motor was still running and making crazy power when I pulled the motor to rebuild it. My car was flashed for the mods I had on the car. I installed the NX kit used the jets they told me to use for a 75 shot. Put in my wide band and went and sprayed it. It was tad bit ricer and pulled better timing so I left it like it was. I was trapping 115mph to 116mph in the 1/4 off the spray and with the 75 shot it was trapping 125mph....

You can buy a 1/16 tap to tap it in the I/C pipe. It is like $10 or $15 from NX or NOS.
Werd, Ill look into that. 1/16th tap.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
Meth will effectively slow combustion by raising octane, allowing for more timing and higher boost. Nitrous will accelerate combustion due to a 02 rich environment, requiring less timing but not necessarily impacting boost. The two are diametrically opposed. I don't get it.
So your saying that nitrous cars cannot run on 115 octaine because the increased octaine is hurting the nitrous' effectivness. I understand where your coming from, but I have experence with nitrous cars, with meth cars, and with two turbo trans ams running 10's and 9's on meth and nitrous, Im sure if I ask them there not gonna say that losing boost as a result of removing there meth will make them faster.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KartaRailed
So your saying that nitrous cars cannot run on 115 octaine because the increased octaine is hurting the nitrous' effectivness. I understand where your coming from, but I have experence with nitrous cars, with meth cars, and with two turbo trans ams running 10's and 9's on meth and nitrous, Im sure if I ask them there not gonna say that losing boost as a result of removing there meth will make them faster.
no, I'm not saying that at all, I'm just trying to understand the logic behind running nitrous and meth at the same time, regardless of whether it's pump gas or race gas. Especially on the stock turbo. How much boost are you trying to run?
Old Jan 9, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To answer your original question about tapping the UICP. I always used 2 part epoxy to seal my meth and my N20 jets. Is has worked great.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoTech
To answer your original question about tapping the UICP. I always used 2 part epoxy to seal my meth and my N20 jets. Is has worked great.
Thank you for staying on topic.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why are you doing this on a stock cammed car? seems like you are adding allot of risk to basically get the power a cammed evo would do all day.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeymia
why are you doing this on a stock cammed car? seems like you are adding allot of risk to basically get the power a cammed evo would do all day.
No, I will be making signifigantly more power. I also fail to see the risk, people have used nitrous on cars for years straight, its all in how you spray, how much you spray, and if you are being safe. Im spraying a 50 shot, thats it, I will be going to 350 hp from 300, people have made 500 plus on stock block, why would this be any different with added fuel to keep things safe? Plus camshafts will cost me 900 installed. Where as this cost 150 and I know how to install the kit myself.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

the last single fogger setup I ran, I had a welder put a "dot" of aluminum on the upper intercooler piping, basically giving me enough material to feel comfortable tapping it, and knowing it was going to stay and not strip out. Epoxy might work, but if you can find a welder who can weld aluminum, I think this would be safer.

Not that it's important, but I think I understand your logic now on how you plan on getting to your goals. As you are suggesting, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Good luck.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KartaRailed
No, I will be making signifigantly more power. I also fail to see the risk, people have used nitrous on cars for years straight, its all in how you spray, how much you spray, and if you are being safe. Im spraying a 50 shot, thats it, I will be going to 350 hp from 300, people have made 500 plus on stock block, why would this be any different with added fuel to keep things safe? Plus camshafts will cost me 900 installed. Where as this cost 150 and I know how to install the kit myself.
a cammed evo 8 will make 350hp all day long...
Old Jan 9, 2007, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everybody is scared of the juice. I was also until I really started doing my homework. If you have the ability to monitor AFR and knock, you will be fine with a 50 shot. One tip though. You should really have a wideband to dial in the correct fuel jet. The NX chart was not even close on my car. With that said, it is by far the best bang for the buck thus far. I should also say that I have a spare engine on the stand, but I do not expect the N20 alone to cause a failure. It will be the years of beating the snot out of it that will eventauly take it's toll. Sure like any mod it is a risk, but one that I am willing to take with my eyes wide open.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeymia
a cammed evo 8 will make 350hp all day long...
Cammed with what camshafts? And full bolt ons. Im not wasting money on bolt ons that cannot be used with a big turbo. And yes, I do agree with you, why do nitrous when cams are a safe alternative. I have weighed the pros and cons of nitrous, and like ^^^ he said, lots of people are afraid of nitrous. Just gotta research it. And Yes, I do need a wide band to dial in. My next major purchase will be a nitrous pressure gauge, EGT, and an AEM uego wideband. Just the Nitrous gauge will cost me more than my whole kit did. I will be completing full IC piping with a FMIC, tomei 280's with full valve train, and meth, in order to run low 11's stock turbo with a built drive train including front and rear LSD, carbonetics twin disk carbon carbon clutch, and shep t-case and tranny. Thanks for your help all.