Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS sequential Tranny

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HKS sequential Tranny

Anyone got anymore info on this tranny? It was at PRI, it HKS's new sequential tranny for the EVO. Here is a picture.

Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you 10 G's for one ?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.holinger.com.au/product_p...version%20Kits
Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Accually, it sounds pretty cool for the really race driven Evo's out there, but like said before, 10 G's will probably get you one!
Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
That Holinger link only states that it is a dog box not sequential. I was pretty sure that dog box only meant it had dog rings instead of synchros not, really having anything to do with shift pattern. Am I wrong?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

you can add a sequencial shifter to it and rock and roll. already checked into it.

the 06 997 cups sequencials were similar in style. still have to use the clutch to start off and to down shift but all up shifts are clutchless.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

That aint nothing thats around 10g's if you get a good deal.

Here are some JDM baller dog boxes

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com...il.php?ID=5716

Ralliart makes one but there is not a link for it.

WRC Custom says they make one but ive never seen anything on it but there are 2 evo's that run them. But after 2 days of searching i gave out on it.

I was thinking about getting the JSpeed I was getting it a a rock star price with the trans.

But that hks one is a good find.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I was also at PRI and Modena Engineering was there. They have a sequential gearbox that has 1-3 in dog and 4 and 5 with synchros. Or a 5 and 6 synchro. I only have his email: modena@smartchat.net.au
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:32 PM
HOK
Evolving Member

how much for the holiger? don't see a price...
Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Both John Shepherd and Magnus Motorsports have Evo dogboxes available here in North America.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

so with these tranny's you dont use the clutch on the upshifts?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
http://www.amsperformance.com/

Watch the video to see operation of a dogbox.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone making a TRUE sequential trans that can handle any real power is going to want $20k or more for it.

Dog conversions are available from ShepTrans or TRE in the $8k or $9k range.

http://sheptrans.com/stage5.php?vid=evo
Old Jul 1, 2007, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Sequential boxes are great. Quicker and cleaner, however they cost a relative fortune. Relative to the standard evo realm, that is. A 200k racecar, a bulletproof 20k tranny is expensive but not a deal breaker.

The major advantage dog boxes have for a street driven evo is the fact that you can still select gears as in a normal transmission, at least that is through any observation of a dog box operation.

A sequntial box, like a motorcycle, has to be cycled up and down through the gears.

I remember Subaru's rally car has an electronically operated version of just such a tranny, and was upwards of 70k a piece due to the innovation.

Getting money to dump into a japanese "baller" tranny (not trying to offend, I like the way that was put) is not necessary when we have domestic dog boxes that accomplish the same feat, almost.

Shep is a gentleman, good business man, but an awesome tranny guru. Marco from magnus I have had several conversations with, and reading about the magnus dogmission says it has a pretty solid history.

Just a few issues....one, when an evo transfer case and tranny are built and driven properly, you can have just as much reliability (ok, thats not totally true) but pretty much an OK situation as long as caution is used.

Dog boxes use straight cut gears...they are noisier than hell and I havent been able to establish a time line for servicing, but rest assured that just through the engineering aspect of it, they shouldnt last for a terribly long time without opening up important clearances over time.

But the cool factor is wild...slamming shifts without a clutch, positive engagement a good portion of the time and stronger than stock by a big margin.

Oh, and those Ikeya sequential shifters apparently take quite a bit of fiddling with to get it right and still, you can miss a shift HARD with them. I would prefer the feel of a standard 5 speed knob. Look on youtube.com for John Norris' SWB evo, the 200mph run up...he misses last gear and has to yank it again to do it. Cool, but not infallable. My ZX12r use to miss shifts in the 1/4 if I didn't hit 3rd as hard as I could, and without the clutch as the tranny got older was a pain in the butt. Much improved over a standard, standard tranny, but they are, as I said, not infallable.

Just so damn expensive.

Last edited by feldguy; Jul 1, 2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

And also, I wasnt going to say this for certain, but the AMS team is still running just a shep trans built stocker out of their car.

Quick Reply: HKS sequential Tranny