Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

for those running 35R with stock block and ecu

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToMuchBoost
Yeah if you start at a low rpm then of course you would dust him, nothing spools faster then the stock turbo for sure. But say you just called him out and said lets do a pull from a 60mph roll. Then he wouldnt keeps his rpms at 3,000 he would get in a gear that would keep his rpms high and break boost.

What you did was sorta like what Top gear did they start at a low rpm to show just how bad turbo lag was on the evo fq. And the evo got smoked by some pos that made about 140hp. But in real life no one races like that, unless they want to lose.
+1
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve@NoLimitmotors
well brake boosting is a method used to win a race, we wanted to see how the 2 cars faired up. and yes we were at around 3000, maybe it was 50 mph, i know it was slow. we both were in 4th gear i know that and his car just lagged so bad i put a huge jump on him at first and then i hit 5th quick and he hits 5th a few seconds later and once he gets high in the rpm band he blows past me. we raced twice and the 2nd time i told him to let me get the jump and it was even worse. Thats un tuned mind you, my last evo was making 380whp and was way faster and would have left him catching up at 150+ O AND FOR WHOEVER IS CRYING ABOUT STREET RACING, YEA THIS WAS ON A CLOSED RACE TRACK OF COURSE...
And what is the point of all this? To prove the 35r has more lag than standard turbo? Duh! What a waste of time.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There is a dude on www.*******.com who is trapping at 122MPH on 93 octane with a GT35R on a stock bottom end, that is about the limit on pump gas, a stock turbo, the most I have seen on 93 Pump is 118MH and that is at the limit. with a GT35R you basically lose almost all torque before 5000RPM's. I would rev it out till about 8500 on a stock block myself.

Hey MalibuJack, can't the Stock MAF handle 500WHP or so?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

I have a 35R on the stock, well, everything pretty much 264 intake cam as well. My car spools up definitely slower than stock and below 3k, its asleep but keep in mind that it doesn't take as much boost to get some serious airflow going on either. In 3rd gear, its making 5 psi around 3300 and ramps up progressively to 22 by about 4700. In 4th gear, I get full boost by about 4400 and in 5th around 4-4.1k

I like tuning on the stock ECU. Sure, I may be giving up some power to an AEM, but I'm much more confident in the stock ECU with good tuning keeping the engine alive and happy vs. the very rudimentary knock voltage setup on the AEM.

Finally, even with all the stock stuff I have, my car hauls relative *** I have a buddy with a 123 mph Z06 that can't hang with me from a 40 kick when I'm on pump. If you want further evidence on the latter, PM me :-P
Old Jan 13, 2007, 03:43 AM
Evolved Member

im on stock block(for now,building very soon) anyways..i have the AMS GT35R dynoed 418awhp on straight 92 with a pretty conservative tune for my daily driving.have the 272 cams,pump,1000cc inj..and AEM...im very pleased with the 35R and stock block,but i want more...a 35R on 22-24psi is low but still very quick..ive raced cars with more HP then me and tuned very well and had no problems with them on the freeway.and a 35R on pump gas low boost is still a monster..trust me...i rev mine too 7800.the only time i took it to tracks was a bad nite,stock clutch,bad mix gas etc etc...i trapped 123mph with no launch what so ever,3/4 tank gas( more the 1/2 92 and rest 117) was on race map but on pump boost,22psi...and i still traped 123mph..i guarantee if i went prepared and had a aftermarket clutch to use 2 step,i would see 126-129 traps im thinking,who knows tho..but i got me a clutch coming in this week thank god

Last edited by GT35REVO8; Jan 13, 2007 at 03:47 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

I can't decide whether I want to buy a GT35R kit or a .50 trim kit. I will be running methanol around 24/26psi.......not interested in running real high boost.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

I am running a 35r on stock block. I have raced many v8s and its just plain fun to lag for a second and be dead even but then at full boost its like the car has a different gear and u just blow on by. I have full boost at 4700 in 4th but i do have some surging in 4th if i load the car right. Make sure to get a bigger intake my 35r felt like shat on the stock intake pipe!
Old Jan 13, 2007, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't wait for my 3065, yeah its smaller but its going to be nice.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

cant wait for my br gt35r kit...
and ross pistons and carillo rods....
Old Jan 13, 2007, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Steve@nolimits, you know, the more I read the things you type the more I like you. Do we do business together? I'd look but I'm not at the shop. If we don't we surely should.

Absolutely, the 20g's and most stock turbo's will kick the crap out of the normal GT35R car up to 100 mph on pump gas, it isn't even a race. Add into that the stock ECU, MAF etc. I'll run you with your GT35r on pump with my RS on pump and the LT.

People really need to get the combination right and then drive some of these larger turbo cars for a few miles.

My RS SUCKS with the GT35R on it, even on race gas driving it around normally sucks. NO torque. Now, get the RPM over 4500 and hit it and it's a completely different story, WHAT A FREAKING RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just drove it yesterday and 30-130 mph happens in a matter of seconds. 2nd gear is useless, let's not even talk about 1st gear. 2nd gear hitting it from a slow roll at about 4,000 rpm turned the car completely sideways in the road.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Steve@nolimits, you know, the more I read the things you type the more I like you. Do we do business together? I'd look but I'm not at the shop. If we don't we surely should.

Absolutely, the 20g's and most stock turbo's will kick the crap out of the normal GT35R car up to 100 mph on pump gas, it isn't even a race. Add into that the stock ECU, MAF etc. I'll run you with your GT35r on pump with my RS on pump and the LT.

People really need to get the combination right and then drive some of these larger turbo cars for a few miles.

My RS SUCKS with the GT35R on it, even on race gas driving it around normally sucks. NO torque. Now, get the RPM over 4500 and hit it and it's a completely different story, WHAT A FREAKING RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just drove it yesterday and 30-130 mph happens in a matter of seconds. 2nd gear is useless, let's not even talk about 1st gear. 2nd gear hitting it from a slow roll at about 4,000 rpm turned the car completely sideways in the road.
I agree.... 1st gear is rather useless, 2nd is getting going, and 3rd and 4th you are there... It all depends on where your "encounters" find you. Just so happens every "race" I do is from a roll and the 35R loves to do that.
The right combo is key but there is just something about a big turbo.. The best way to describe it is how my 600cc bike feels, you have to really wind that thing up to get it moving 10K+ rpm but once you are there its honkin but if you are not in the sweet spot then you are lost.

Last edited by ThEHiTMaN; Jan 13, 2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

+ 1 on Steve@NoLimits story, I ran a gt35r / cammed evo 9 in my intake/exhaust evo 9 and I got the jump and never looked back, we did it from a highway pull and from a dig, its not until 4th/5th gears where they start making up ground.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 08:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thats so true, i do have to keep my RPM's up and do the boost braking thing to get going on my 35R, From a roll is a bit weird, it really depends on where you start from. I definitely think I might switch to a smaller turbo if I find I don't really utilize the big one for what its purpose is, but its really obscenely fast once your moving.

Certain encounters are just "weird" It really depends alot on how prepared you are for the experience. I'd really love to say my 35r is whooping butt all over the place, but my car has been a test platform and hasn't gotten alot of drive time since the 35r install, where the stock turbo got alot of tuning and drive time, and really was alot faster/quicker than it should have been considering its combination.

I always tell people bigger isn't always better, most of the time they don't listen, and they end up swapping the turbo out for something else or selling the car. You really need to know what your goals are, and what it is you want out of the car. The 35r definitely changes its personality.

Yes the stock MAF could handle about 500whp, once your approaching that point I would recommend an aftermarket blowthrough setup as the stock MAF becomes a restriction around that point, but worse, it starts reading improperly at very high air velocities through it, and with a 35r, your actually running a smaller pipe to accomodate the MAF to the turbo, which accelerates the airflow through the MAF even more.. The MAF is the big issue with big turbos, not the ECU. This is why I run a blowthrough MAF setup, its after the turbo in the upper intercooler pipe, its not a restriction as the sensor is integrated into the pipe, and the intake pipe, is just a basic 4" dejontool setup with a giant cone filter on it, the only sensor on the intake side is the intake air temp sensor.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Jan 13, 2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 08:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What it comes down to..

"It is what it is" and you need to be willing to do what it takes to make use of the potential of your parts, otherwise it was wasted money.

Most people prefer pump gas, and street driving, the LT/FPEVOGreen is a much better turbo for that. Heck I may switch over to it for awhile.

But I cannot emphasize how happy I am with the GT35R, its just something you need to get used to, its not really all that laggy if you spend your time with the RPM's up.. but catch it before its able to produce boost, and you'll be waiting awhile. You will have to downshift..

and FWIW, my car is being built to run E85, hence the big turbo as you can run very high boost with it.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Jan 13, 2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is there a Plug and Play Upgraded MAF for out cars? What would it take to get a Z06 MAF to run properly on our cars? They seem to handle a LOT of power

Quick Reply: for those running 35R with stock block and ecu