Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

for those running 35R with stock block and ecu

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2007, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I can't argue in this post anymore. I obviously know nothing about building fast cars.

Have fun here, I'm done.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running a 3065 or GT35R on just 93-octane is a terrible idea. Id rather have a stock turbo on pump gas anyday over a 35R. That turbo is meant for high boost (for use with alcohol or race gas).. PERIOD.

If you want to run straight pump, get a GT3076 or a 50trim. They will make the same power on pump at 22-24psi and make more torque and better spool which will translate to a better powerband.

I have yet to be taken down by any large turbo car on pump gas. ON race gas, of course. I raced a GT35R with a fully built 2.0 revving to 9000 on 35psi. Slaughtered me. Thats the way the car should be set to run with that turbo. High boost, high redline, race gas/meth.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ToMuchBoost
It will beat it up to 100 mph if you do the stupid lets both start at low rpms and punch it .
Exactly, who honestly races from 3k rpm from a roll anyway, I certainly didn't with the stock turbo and I don't with the 35R either. 2nd gear, 40 mph kick and I'll lay waste to any stock turbo if 450+ whp, 122+ mph V8s that hook can't keep up
Old Jan 14, 2007, 08:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think you guys are missing the concept, and Davids point...

Even though the GT35r is a bigger turbo, and can produce more power, the smaller turbo produces this power much earlier, allowing the car to get a pretty good lead. I hate to say this, but take two cars making about the same HP and Torque, One is a GT35r and one is a 16G variant, the 16G variant is making quite a bit more torque and HP earlier, and it falls off at higher RPM, but then compare the 35r dyno, Its producing less HP and Torque where the 16G variant is making more, therefore the smaller turbo car will easily pull ahead until the 35r can begin to reel it in.

Regardless of driving style, this is really the whole scenario. You are putting a 35r into a scenario where its not at its optimum. First, pump gas means you can't go for ***** out power at lower boost, second, your waiting for a turbo with more mass to spool, third, from a roll you'd find the car will almost be just under its power band unless you were in first or second gear, and my experience is also that first and second gear are more prone to wheel spin.

Again, I think everyone missed the point of Davids post, and his side by side comparison (as controlled a situation as he could I suppose) and its perfectly valid. And I can definitely see my 35r on pump gas only being at a slight disadvantage to another similarly built Evo with a smaller turbo in those conditions.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
From Page 3, the hitman, when I said my car is worthless in 1st and 2nd gear I didn't mean because it was laggy, I meant because the car spings all four tires so hard it doesn't accelerate! The tach just pegs the 9,000 rpm and sits there with the tires spinning.
aahh..... ok I wasn't sure, but I do know on my car that in 1st full boost is about 7,000 rpm. That is what I thought you were talking about.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think there is some confusion in this thread about what type of race we are talking about. I'm curious about a standing start race. Take two evos, standalone ecu, all the usual mods. One evo with 16 or 20g, and another with a 35r, both tuned for the same fuel and running same boost.

I assume the 35r would spank the other car all day long on any type of fuel and any type of boost. How much lag the 35r has is irrelevant because the gearing of the evo and the power band of the 35r mean you'll hardly ever be off boost during the race.

Now can someone please explain to me how the 35r would get beat?
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also on a 2 litre, can someone tell me about how much air a 35r flows at 20 psi versus a standard turbo?
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:13 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the biggest thing people need to understand is...

lag is a relative term...

I drove a 2 liter turbocharged lmp car with about 600hp (restricted) and it was laggy as all hell... but... who expects 2 liters to pull from low rpm in a tall gear? come on... whats the point...

If you want to go quick, you use your powerband.... and a 35R powerband is up top... but once your on it, you never drop out of boost....

I would never run a stock turbo car with jhakjdhaudhassuhd mods from 3000rpm... if i would, im stupid....

Figure out your driving style, and then figure out your solution.... I would be quite fine with a 35R on a roadcourse, but i wouldnt dare use it for autocross.....

here is the laggy 2 liter turbo... but once it spools, its not a problem is it..

http://www.chadblock.com/video/overtaking.WMV

http://www.chadblock.com/video/incarturn1washington.WMV

chad b
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
I think there is some confusion in this thread about what type of race we are talking about. I'm curious about a standing start race.
It depends on the length of the race. With stock turbo cars running 11 sec 1/4 times, the difference can be virtually negligible in short drag races. The large turbo begins pulling harder further down the track, when the vehicle is experiencing increased loading as a result of aerodynamic drag. This is why a small and large turbo car may run the same E.T., but the large turbo car runs a higher trap - because the larger turbo car didn't catch up until later in the race.

What people tend to forget is that in the low gears, the light loading with the large turbo car means lag is increased and it probably never reaches full power. This being the case, the real advantage of the large turbo is realized in the higher gears, at speed. This tilts the advantage to smaller turbos in shorter, curvy courses, especially if the large turbo car is restricted to low gears for much time, and also if time is lost due to excessive shifting of the large turbo car due to its short powerband.

In a nutshell, a stout stock-sized turbo setup feels like a V8, while the large turbo feels more like a peaky motorcycle engine.

Originally Posted by crcain
Also on a 2 litre, can someone tell me about how much air a 35r flows at 20 psi versus a standard turbo?
The answer to that question is largely affected by rpm and PR, so there is no static answer. The smaller turbo reaches 20psi much quicker and is flowing more air sooner. At higher rpm, the larger turbo is running more efficiently (lower temps), and with less backpressure as a result of the larger turbine and hotside.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

i know some of u may not like what im going to say but im going to say it.

i decided not to get the 35r on my car first off because i emailed the kid thrusday and he isnt emailing me back, second off, i think i will be happier with a 3037r (3076) then i will be with a 35r with my driving style.

so then i have found a co. that sells the ATP kit for 2,229 brand new. im going with the 3037 with the .82 a/r hotside. i am going to port match the hotside to my mani and i should get my hp and tq goals on pump a lot easier.

so then arises the question that im not 100% sure about, the kit offer 3 turbos

3071 smallest
3037r med
35r large

now i know the 30r has 3 names , 30r, 3037r, 3076 but are they all the same?on the site there is no 3076 only the 3037r, so are they the same?

thanks for all the posts and responses.

Last edited by deadbeatrec; Jan 14, 2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 05:29 PM
Account Disabled

99% of you ARE missing the point. This thread is NOT about street racing tactics or tips, its about running a 35R on pump gas at <23 psi and my opinion as well as Daves is, its uselss. Its a waste of money UNLESS YOU PLAN ON RUNNING RACE GAS SOMETIMES, OR METHANOL. Pump gas 35R evos are trapping 120-123 mph at best and running high 11's with the sacrifice of ALL low end power and driveability. So for a 35R you need the kit which is 2000$ used at the cheapest and 3000$ new at the cheapest. The you need injectors, ignition upgrade (preferred) FMIC, etc... All i'm saying is, the money could be put better towards other things, or why not buy a smaller turbo???

Lets all put GT42R's on our cars and run pump gas and make 400whp at 9k. It just makes no sense. This is coming from someone thats planning on buying a 35R for his own evo over the summer but i'll be running 30 psi on pump+meth daily. An evo making 350whp on pump on the stock turbo is a blast to drive and very impressive to most people. Its also gonna be faster then 99% of the cars you come across daily on closed, private, insured, hospital equipped tracks of course.

I just hate to see people waste their money and to the poster of this thread, if you walked into our shop asking for a 35R kit telling me you were only gonna run pump i'd tell you the same thing. I wouldnt just take your money and sell you something you might not need or like. If you still wanted to get it, then I'd sell it to you, but honestly man, take a ride in an evo making 350+whp on the stock turbo, 20g, whatever and then find a guy with a 35R on pump gas and go for a ride in that and tell me what you like better
Old Jan 14, 2007, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NoLimitmotors
99% of you ARE missing the point. This thread is NOT about street racing tactics or tips, its about running a 35R on pump gas at <23 psi and my opinion as well as Daves is, its uselss. Its a waste of money UNLESS YOU PLAN ON RUNNING RACE GAS SOMETIMES, OR METHANOL. Pump gas 35R evos are trapping 120-123 mph at best and running high 11's with the sacrifice of ALL low end power and driveability. So for a 35R you need the kit which is 2000$ used at the cheapest and 3000$ new at the cheapest. The you need injectors, ignition upgrade (preferred) FMIC, etc... All i'm saying is, the money could be put better towards other things, or why not buy a smaller turbo???

Lets all put GT42R's on our cars and run pump gas and make 400whp at 9k. It just makes no sense. This is coming from someone thats planning on buying a 35R for his own evo over the summer but i'll be running 30 psi on pump+meth daily. An evo making 350whp on pump on the stock turbo is a blast to drive and very impressive to most people. Its also gonna be faster then 99% of the cars you come across daily on closed, private, insured, hospital equipped tracks of course.

I just hate to see people waste their money and to the poster of this thread, if you walked into our shop asking for a 35R kit telling me you were only gonna run pump i'd tell you the same thing. I wouldnt just take your money and sell you something you might not need or like. If you still wanted to get it, then I'd sell it to you, but honestly man, take a ride in an evo making 350+whp on the stock turbo, 20g, whatever and then find a guy with a 35R on pump gas and go for a ride in that and tell me what you like better
listen steve, im going to say this and try and not sound like a dick but, if u have read all my posts then u would have read that i have a stage 4 and a 20g-9-5 already in my car. my car as it sits right now makes 380whp. so please next time read b4 u go and tell me im missing the point.and also did u not just read my above post saying im going with a smaller 3037/3076 turbo. thanks.

Last edited by deadbeatrec; Jan 14, 2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
listen steve, im going to say this and try and not sound like a dick but, if u have read all my posts then u would have read that i have a stage 4 and a 20g-9-5 already in my car. my car as it sits right now makes 380whp. so please next time read b4 u go and tell me im missing the point. thanks.

OWNED.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 06:17 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
listen steve, im going to say this and try and not sound like a dick but, if u have read all my posts then u would have read that i have a stage 4 and a 20g-9-5 already in my car. my car as it sits right now makes 380whp. so please next time read b4 u go and tell me im missing the point.and also did u not just read my above post saying im going with a smaller 3037/3076 turbo. thanks.
i did read that actually, i'm just shot and typed out my long response from reading 20 people tell me my race was stupid and useless. Good Idea going with the smaller turbo, I think you'll be much happier with it.

-Steve
Old Jan 14, 2007, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NoLimitmotors
i did read that actually, i'm just shot and typed out my long response from reading 20 people tell me my race was stupid and useless. Good Idea going with the smaller turbo, I think you'll be much happier with it.

-Steve
ok well like i said b4 im not trying to be a dick and i thank u for your concern and expertise. thanks again

Quick Reply: for those running 35R with stock block and ecu