Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

for those running 35R with stock block and ecu

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for those running 35R with stock block and ecu

like the title say, i want to know any expierences from those who are running a 35R with a stock block and a flash. i might get the br35r kit cheap but im still on a stock block with 25,000 miles, no drag, no autox or road racing. have have stage 4 with a 20g-9-5 right now and im looking to go bigger.

and please i dont want to hear the, " are u going to drag? what the point if ur not going to race it" BS. thanks.

whats the lag like and what kind of boost r u running. if i do get this it will stay under or at 23 psi daily on pump.

thanks again in advance.

ps, what kind of intake, spark plugs, and such are u running. pics would help if u have them to share.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

I have a 35r on a stock bottem end in my evo. The lag is not bad at all. I run 26psi on meth and 91. It made 508 awhp. My kit came with an intake and I use bpr8es plugs. My car also has 97,000+ miles on it. You should be fine with the kit.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The most whp I have seen was 558WHP on a Flash and Alky, it was on a Flash done by Al. I believe it was the AMS GT35R kit too.

Also if you plan to stay on 23-24PSI daily on pump, the 50 Trim will make more power accross the board and a poop load more torque, that's where the 50 Trim lives.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
At the moment the head and block are bone stock on my car, I have cams though. Even at low boost and pump the car makes good power. I never bothered with head studs as I don't plan on running very high levels of boost most of the time, and don't intend to push the limits until I drop my new long block in there. I have 47k miles, and I run BPR9ES plugs in the car.

Buschur hates selling these kits without recommend a standalone EMS, which I completely disagree with, I have personal experience with his kits on several cars using the stock ECU and they have done fine. Just be aware that if you intend to run the stock ECU, to ask for the O2 sensor bung in the turndown (O2 housing)

If you retain the stock ECU, in order to make the best gains, you will need to upgrade the MAF to some sort of blowthrough aftermarket MAF setup so keep that in mind.

Ultimately your turbo selection should be realistic, if you really only want to drive on pump gas, then a smaller turbo will work better for you. I am in this dilemma, however I'm satisfied with the pump power the 35r offers on my combination.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Jan 12, 2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
At the moment the head and block are bone stock on my car, I have cams though. Even at low boost and pump the car makes good power. I never bothered with head studs as I don't plan on running very high levels of boost most of the time, and don't intend to push the limits until I drop my new long block in there. I have 47k miles, and I run BPR9ES plugs in the car.

Buschur hates selling these kits without recommend a standalone EMS, which I completely disagree with, I have personal experience with his kits on several cars using the stock ECU and they have done fine. Just be aware that if you intend to run the stock ECU, to ask for the O2 sensor bung in the turndown (O2 housing)

If you retain the stock ECU, in order to make the best gains, you will need to upgrade the MAF to some sort of blowthrough aftermarket MAF setup so keep that in mind.

Ultimately your turbo selection should be realistic, if you really only want to drive on pump gas, then a smaller turbo will work better for you. I am in this dilemma, however I'm satisfied with the pump power the 35r offers on my combination.
well i want a fp3065 but i can get this kit with the 35r used with a new turbo lof 1k less.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:36 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
like the title say, i want to know any expierences from those who are running a 35R with a stock block and a flash. i might get the br35r kit cheap but im still on a stock block with 25,000 miles, no drag, no autox or road racing. have have stage 4 with a 20g-9-5 right now and im looking to go bigger.

and please i dont want to hear the, " are u going to drag? what the point if ur not going to race it" BS. thanks.

whats the lag like and what kind of boost r u running. if i do get this it will stay under or at 23 psi daily on pump.

thanks again in advance.

ps, what kind of intake, spark plugs, and such are u running. pics would help if u have them to share.
honestly, whats the point of running a 35R on pump. The car will be slower then if you had a stock evo 9 turbo with all the bolt ones, i mean maybe after 140 mph but before that its nor worth it. put it this way.

My evo 9 is making only 305whp and i raced this guys 05 rs ON A CLOSED PRIVATE TRACK with a buschur/fp 3065 kit whith a built motor, oversized valves, ported tb and intake mani, aem, fmic, 1000's, all the bolt ons. we raced from 60mph to whatever, he didnt pass me until 130mph. 1st gear roll would be very similar. Imagine if i was making around 380-390whp??? you get soo much more USEABLE power. I see no point in running a 35R only on pump gas. If your gonna run race gas or methanol at least sometimes then maybe its worth it, but just to run pump seems like a waste of turbo to me.

Last edited by Steve@NoLimitmotors; Jan 12, 2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

I know Ivey was making something like 560 on pump/meth with a 35r on a stock motor.

As far as i know he had no problems.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NoLimitmotors
honestly, whats the point of running a 35R on pump. The car will be slower then if you had a stock evo 9 turbo with all the bolt ones, i mean maybe after 140 mph but before that its nor worth it. put it this way.

My evo 9 is making only 305whp and i raced this guys 05 rs with a buschur/fp 3065 kit whith a built motor, oversized valves, ported tb and intake mani, aem, fmic, 1000's, all the bolt ons. we raced from 60mph to whatever, he didnt pass me until 130mph. 1st gear roll would be very similar. Imagine if i was making around 380-390whp??? you get soo much more USEABLE power. I see no point in running a 35R only on pump gas. If your gonna run race gas or methanol at least sometimes then maybe its worth it, but just to run pump seems like a waste of turbo to me.
welcome back to the dark side steve.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NoLimitmotors

My evo 9 is making only 305whp and i raced this guys 05 rs with a buschur/fp 3065 kit whith a built motor, oversized valves, ported tb and intake mani, aem, fmic, 1000's, all the bolt ons. we raced from 60mph to whatever, he didnt pass me until 130mph. 1st gear roll would be very similar. Imagine if i was making around 380-390whp??? you get soo much more USEABLE power. I see no point in running a 35R only on pump gas. If your gonna run race gas or methanol at least sometimes then maybe its worth it, but just to run pump seems like a waste of turbo to me.
seems hard to believe. but thanks for your opinion.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

if the guy is running a 35r on pump. it's totally believeable
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to concur. If you're only running pump; there's really no point with a 35r on the stock 2.0.

Now, if you were to build the bottom end to like a 2.3L; you could shift your powerband down lower. That'd make some more usable power.
Other (and more common) option is to get a race gas or meth/alky tune so you can turn that boost up for the 35r where it needs to be to make good power.

my .02
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
I have to concur. If you're only running pump; there's really no point with a 35r on the stock 2.0.

Now, if you were to build the bottom end to like a 2.3L; you could shift your powerband down lower. That'd make some more usable power.
Other (and more common) option is to get a race gas or meth/alky tune so you can turn that boost up for the 35r where it needs to be to make good power.

my .02
even at 23 psi, u guys are saying the 35R wont make much power? really?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't the 35r flow more air at 23 lbs of boost than any smaller turbo?

Doesn't more air mean more power?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:13 AM
Account Disabled

hey i got no reason to lie, its the truth. Now put that RS on race gas and its a monster but the efficiency of a 35r is around 30 psi, they're good even at 35 psi. running 23 psi is just junk, look at what people are making, same numbers as people running 9 turbos with meth or race gas. But the spoolup is horendous compared to stock. Now when i drive a 35R equipped evo, it feels great to me, doesnt feel laggy to me, but in comparison a stock turbo equipped car just jumps and puts distance. Then the 35R car comes raining supreme hell WAYYYY up top and just blows by you, but as far as 1/4 mile is concerned, its over already. Look at pump gas 35R evos' track times. They run low 12's, high 11's at best with an awesome launch. Its jut not worth the 3000-4500$ if your only gonna run pump. take that 3-4k and buy HKS dli2, methanol, cams, o2 housing, Throttle body, methanol for a year, intercooler and piping. Your gonna need 95% of the same supporting mods anyways.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:15 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by crcain
Doesn't the 35r flow more air at 23 lbs of boost than any smaller turbo?

Doesn't more air mean more power?
yea at 5500rpm maybe, then your shifting at 7500 so you got 2000 rpm of useable power. run 30 psi on a 9 turbo your at 30 by 3800 rim and the car just takes off.

Quick Reply: for those running 35R with stock block and ecu