Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What your EVO needs for a fuel system, facts.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,048 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Fourdoor
That "filter" is on the siphon tube that transfers fuel from the passenger side tank to the drivers side tank, and is the equivelent of the fuel "sock" on the bottom of the fuel pump... takes out fuel tank "trash" rather than actually filtering the fuel in any significant way.

Keith
Which is basically what I said at the bottom of my post.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how long do you think it would take to install this? for a average evo owner?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

So, when the 2nd one kicks on @ 16psi.. How does it know to do that? Do you have to run aem ems or somthing to trigger the pump to turn on?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Once again DB takes it to another level. Top notch R&D and write up, continued success to you
Old Jan 12, 2007, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
razorlab, I realize that is what the picture you posted says but that IS NOT a fuel filter. It is a simple screen for the siphon from the other side of the tank. NO way will it offer the filtering that an engine needs. It is pretty course. The actual fuel filter, like I said, is built into the fuel pump assembly. It is not an item that can be serviced. Very poor design for the filter.

Yes, the HO pump can be used with a standard pump. I'd prefer to use two of the same pumps though, either two HO's or two standards. If you were to run it with one of each I'd suggest using the standard pump for the pump that is always on.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

The install is very easy. You take out the old unit and put this new one back in the tank. Then you have to run the hoses that are pre-assembled into the Y in the picture. That is the hardest part. You have to feed that Y down the side of the fuel tank and under the car. It's a tight fit and is best if you put a little tape over the end of the hose before you stick it through to keep any dirt out. After it is fed under you pull it back towards the fuel pump assembly and slide the two ends onto the two hose fittings at the top. The kit comes with high pressure fuel injection clamps. Tighten those down. Next you go under the car, put the fuel filter onto the line you pushed through and then the other end onto the factory feed liine. Tighten the clamp at the filter and then the TWO clamps on the factory fuel line. That's it for the mechanical portion. The factory pump/sending unit plug in, the factory siphon and return line go right back on like stock.

Now for the electrical for the second pump (and this will answer the question about how the second pump knows to come on). Run the black wire coming out of the tank to and EXCELLENT ground. The red wire will get run to the front of the car/engine bay. In the picture you see a pressure and such. One end of the wire from the switch goes to the positive side of the battery. The other side gets connected to the red wire you ran to the front from the pump. Then just tap the T fitting into a boost source. At 16 psi of boost the switch will complete the circuit and send 13+ volts to the fuel pump.

Make sure you use the same gauge wire as is coming out of the pump. It's all in the comprehensive instructions that come with the kit. Very easy to do.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveBuschur
With the base pump out of the way now we can go onto our Modified High Output Walbro pump.

0 psi the pump flows 510 lb/hr
40 psi the pump flows 410 lb/hr
60 psi the pump flows 362 lb/hr
70 psi the pump flows 340 lb/hr
80 psi the pump flows 310 lb/hr
100 psi the pump flows 250 lb/hr

This makes this pump good for:

At 60 psi this pump is good for 481 flywheel horsepower
At 70 psi this pump is good for 452 flywheel horsepower
At 80 psi this pump is good for 412 flywheel horsepower
At 100 psi this pump is good for 332 flywheel horsepower

As you can see, if you are running high boost this pump really flows up top compared to a standard Walbro 255.

Our double pumper with two standard GSS342's in it will flow:

At 60 psi the twin pumps are good for 957 flywheel horsepower
At 70 psi the twin pumps are good for 883 flywheel horsepower
At 80 psi the twin pumps are good for 758 flywheel horsepower
At 100 psi the twin pumps are good for 425 flywheel horsepower

Our double pumper with two of our Modified High Output pumps in it will flow:

At 60 psi, 962 FWHP
At 70 psi, 904 FWHP
At 80 psi, 824 FWHP
At 100 psi, 665 FWHP

Now, a note. There is some loss running two pumps together into a common line. I am going to eventually send these pumps out, for my own curiosity, and have them flowed through the Y that we use.
That's what I really want to see, Dave. I don' t have any questions about your data and horsepower support calculations for the single pump; in fact, I just posted a similar set of calcs for the 38mm AP Boss Denso pump in another thread to show that a single pump was not capable of supporting huge HP numbers at 75PSI. (NOTE: this is NOT the Denso Supra TT pump that measures 50mm in diameter; it will not fit in the stock housing without modification to the housing)

I'd bet, though, that your double pumper results will not be double what your single pump system flows or supports. I remember some testing on another private DSM board of double pump systems, though, and I was surprised that the results at least one person got were hardly better than with the single pump, apparently because the pumps were "fighting" each other the way they were set up. I know that results vary, some based on the kind of pump used, some on whether they are set up in series or in parallel. When you get the second round of testing done, with the system as it is set up on the test car, rather than on the bench, that will be the best data of all. Hurry up and get the results back! (and thanks again for publishing this!)

Last edited by CO_VR4; Jan 14, 2007 at 07:34 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:59 PM
Account Disabled

Awesome write up David, I was curious if you guys had any tests done with E85. I know you mentioned that you were testing that type of fuel. Im anxious to see someone push the envelope with that one. Well anyways, I know alot of people dont like the fact that they have to switch to AN fittings to fuel their motors, and I know alot of people who dont trust the stock size lines. That is why Ive also adapted our kit to accept stock lines, since that is important to some people and trust me you dont know how many pms i get about using stock lines. Nice job on the kit, Mitsu sure didnt want to leave room for another pump eh?

Last edited by FullBlown; Jan 12, 2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is there a significant change of fuel pump circuit current load (Amp) when compared to using just one walbro 342?

OT
I swear I'm going to make something to attach to the service station pump filler to filter the stuff as it goes into the tank.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
OT
I swear I'm going to make something to attach to the service station pump filler to filter the stuff as it goes into the tank.
Good luck. It would take forever to fill the tank.

Nice product Buschur Racing. Very affordable.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

The Big Al story,

Al has one of the most high tech fuel cells in his car I have seen. The tank has a surge tank built into it that houses twin intank fuel pumps. The tank uses twin -6 AN outlets that go into a single -8 AN fitting that runs a single -8 AN line to the engine. This last year when we helped Al put his car together once it hit the dyno we ran into troubles. Once again, right around 740 whp Al's car was running lean. We were in a scramble to figure it out as he was in Ohio to race. I suggested we take out his fuel pumps and replace them with our Modified High Output pumps. Upon taking the pumps out of the car we found they were the 340's. The car would run 11.5:1 afr's up until about 7,000 rpm then would just about instantly go to 13:1 afr's. Too lean for me and it was going leaner, you'd have to lift off the throttle.
Duty cycles were once again past 100%. Out of fuel with (4) 1650cc injectors.

Swapped in our two HO pumps and tried it again. AFR's once again went so rich the car would hardly run. They dropped into the low 10:1's. Problem fixed.

The Curt Brown story,

Curt came in last year after installing our 2 liter shortblock in his car. He was hoping to set some records. Curt was using the stock tank with one intank Walbro pump and one externa Bosch pump. He then used a single -8 line to feed the engine. Same story again. We were dialing in the car and just after 630 whp we ran into problems. The AFR's at high rpm and 35 psi of boost would run lean. Curt was using 1,000 cc injectors and at that point in time I was absolutely amazed that we could make 630 whp on a 1,000 cc injector with his car. Well the reason we could was the two pumps, but now I could see we were out of pumps on this car too. We pulled the car off the dyno and Curt put our single HO pump in the tank out in our parking lot. He then went for a test drive on the road. Once again, the AFR's got into the low 10:1 high 9:1 ratios. He came back, I pulled fuel out of the map and we repeated this for a few road tests. The next day Curt ran a 9.33 at 150 mph, drove it to the track and drove it home, he lives over 2 hours from here

I thought of these last night and thought they were good additions to this.

Last edited by David Buschur; Jan 13, 2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

There is not change to the circuit load at all. One pump runs off the stock wiring just like the other pump wasn't even in the tank. The second pump runs off of it's own wiring directly from the battery. The second pump has it's own inline fuse, it comes all pre-assembled and pre-wired. All you have to do is put the ground on the second pump and hook the positive side to the battery.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome write up David. I wish this had been available about 2 months back, it would have saved me some time and money on my fuel setup.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
so can the twin pumper setup from buschur house 1 denso supra pump for those who want quiet fuel pumps?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Awesome write up and great product.

Quick Reply: What your EVO needs for a fuel system, facts.