Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

idle fluctuations after cam install?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idle fluctuations after cam install?

my brother and I just installed 272 cams in both of our evos. he has no EMS and I have a Power FC. His car idles fine. My idle is fluctuating badly. I haven't had a chance to get my Power FC tuned in yet but I need the dang thing to idle decent for now. Can anyone tell me if this is an issue with the Power FC or is there something I'm missing?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

yes, get it tuned. Its not going to idle good after installing cams. Your brothers ecu might be trying to smooth the idle alittle by itself.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Even with a tune its not going to idle smooth with the 272s, Unless you set the idle at 1k or more. But its ok rev it and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

I have 272's and it idles darn good. Sometimes I dont know that I have cams. AMS tuned it. Very good tune if I might add!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 3, 2007, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

ive got 272's and a got it flashed when he came down to texas and it idles alot better! doesnt lope bad at all but car shakes alot but thats due to me having all solid motor mounts
Old Apr 3, 2007, 08:23 PM

Man whats up with these threads.

You shouldn't be putting cams in your car if you don't know whats going to happen. Go have someone tune you car and do some more research before you go modding away.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 04:31 PM

272's are a pretty big cam. You should do better bumping the idle up slightly. Using big cams will generally producing a "loping" effect at low rpm's. Most people don't have too many issues of this with 272's but who's to say your idle isn't slightly lower than normal?

Time to start tuning.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Mine did the same thing and it was tuned. But didn't do it right away though. I did some research and it seems that I have to replace the oil sending sensor because the oil light flickered too. So I ordered the part I need and I'll find out if it was the problem if not I'm SOL lol.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not all 272's are the same as lift is different.

After installing my Kelford's my stock ECU tried to compensate for idle.
After the tune, it didn't stall anymore.

What 272 cams did you guys install??
Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RETECH
Not all 272's are the same as lift is different.

After installing my Kelford's my stock ECU tried to compensate for idle.
After the tune, it didn't stall anymore.

What 272 cams did you guys install??
Agreed. After my HKS 272's the idle was a little lopey, but nothing extreme. I put on a CDI and did some minor tuning and it never bogged or stalled at idle.

What cams were they?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:06 AM

every car is different. your car is prob trying to compensate for overlap. Have to raise idle a little bit, add a touch of fuel, and a little timing. I did that with my gsc s2's and idles like a dream (barely lopes).
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

I just installed the Kelford 272's as well. I already have a tune, so maybe that helps, but the idle seems good once it warms up. I have started it 3 times so far and let it idle and once it warms up, the idle stays atabout 1000. I haven't driven it yet, waiting for the weather to get a little nicer.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:24 PM

I have 272's and you need a tune...you really shouldn't be driving it without one after a cam install...you should have the idle set at 1200 and you won't get a bad looping noise...buschur tuned mine and there great
Old Apr 3, 2010, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im sorry for the thread jack, but I installed HKS 272s WITHOUT a tune and mine did not idle roughly AT ALL and it did not become lopey. Is that bad?

Also, I now have my car on a conservative tune. My car is still not lopey...for the most part. Every once in a while my car will get that lopey idle when I pull up to a stop light but it typically idles like its stock. Why is that?
Old Apr 4, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lilredbox
Im sorry for the thread jack, but I installed HKS 272s WITHOUT a tune and mine did not idle roughly AT ALL and it did not become lopey. Is that bad?

Also, I now have my car on a conservative tune. My car is still not lopey...for the most part. Every once in a while my car will get that lopey idle when I pull up to a stop light but it typically idles like its stock. Why is that?
HKS 272's are 10.2 lift for an Viii and 10.8 for a IX . they are milder as far as cams go.
The Kelfords are 11.0 lift.

Remember, not all 272 cams are the same. Lift is the difference and ramp on the cam. This will cause one cam to have more of an almost stalling sound, kinda like a V-8 chevy musclecar.

Quick Reply: idle fluctuations after cam install?