Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch problem or tuning problem?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2007, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch problem or tuning problem?

I've had my car sitting in a garage while I've gone to college mainly because it had what i thought was a major clutch problem. The car has all the mods in my sig yet I haven't installed the cams or ported manifold yet, and i have no flash on the car. i normally ran the car at 21 lbs of boost and the car would jerk which my guess would be fuel cut, so i turned it down to 18 lbs of boost and now it runs sloppy maybe because of the clutch? can someone help me out with a suggestion on what to do? I'm considering getting a mail-in flash and getting all my parts installed and seeing how the car is running and how the clutch is since the new clutch only has 25k miles on it. i also have a spare stock clutch with 3k that im considering installing afterwards because i dont want to drop a grand into a new clutch if i dont need it. can someone describe what a jerk would be like when i floor the car because of fuel cut and the difference between that and clutch problems/slipping clutch.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to see if it is the clutch is to put the car in 5th gear around 2,000rpm and floor the gas all the way. This is where there will be the most load on the clutch. If the rpms shoot up and the car does not go anywhere, it is the clutch. Now if it was fuel cut the jerk would be when the boost was comeing in full, like around 3,900 at full throttle. It was be a violent jerk and you would know it was fuel cut.