Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

what should I make?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2007 | 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

You didn't say Jun, though. Jun is on a whole different level, but they are way aggressive and not designed to work with the stock ECU/MAF or even the stock turbo. There's not a huge difference in GSC 272 and HKS 272. You are asking a question based on what you remember of what someone told you who was told something by someone else without fully understanding the situation - doesn't do you much good.
Old Jan 16, 2007 | 04:43 PM

According to your signature, I would say 300WHP & 285WTQ. Trick question right?
Old Jan 16, 2007 | 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dingo7
well im asking cuz my friend has a buchur evo and he has the gsc 272s in his car and was sayin that david said there is a big difference in certin cams like from gsc 272 to hks 280 to jun 280
There's a difference in EVERY cam, otherwise there would only be one choice. There is also no such thing as a JUN 280. But the bottom line is, a more aggresive cam will only get you more power as long as you have all of the proper parts surrounding it, otherwise, it will just make your car idle worse.
Old Jan 16, 2007 | 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

sry I meant tomei 280s, but yea the sig is going away. Is the diff in lift and duration in gsc and hks so small it doesnt matter.
Old Jan 17, 2007 | 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dingo7
sry I meant tomei 280s, but yea the sig is going away. Is the diff in lift and duration in gsc and hks so small it doesnt matter.
In terms of just lift and duration, the GSC 272's are more similar to HKS 264's than the HKS 272's.

In fact, the HKS 264 has 0.2mm HIGHER lift and 3* MORE effective duration than the GSC 272. The HKS 272 has 0.2mm HIGHER lift and 11* MORE effective duration than the GSC 272.

But you have to take that with a grain of salt. I do not have lobe centerline info on the GSC, nor do I have lobe shape information on either. We haven't even discussed lobe shapes. The actual lobe shape can have just as much impact as lift and duration. Keep in mind that lift and duration are (for lack of a better term) a measure of minimum and maximum lift. How quickly the cam goes from minimum to maximum lift will impact both performance and valvetrain load.

Then, once you know all of this, you have to see how each of these aspects will interact with the parts on YOUR car. Anything major like oversized valves, ported head, ported intake or exhaust manifold, stroker kit, or a bigger turbo will have a drastic impact on which cams are the best for your application. And unless you have access to computer modeling programs and a vast database of knowledge, you'd be better off just asking someone. Or for that matter, cams aren't really that expensive, just buy 2 or 3 sets and dyno all of them on the same day.

So to answer your question, it is possible that the GSC 272 cams could make more power than the HKS 264's on the same car, and possible, but not likely that they could outperform an HKS 272.