Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cusco Center LSD vs. Stock VCU LSD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2007, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TouringBubble
We're talking about the center diff that splits load between the front and rear .. not side to side. I think what most people are saying is that the center diff is always splitting torque 50/50 (front/rear) and then the LSDs in the front and rear are taking care of the rest.

So, how I'm understanding this ...

There is 100% torque available. 50% in the front and 50% in the rear. No matter how you split it between the left and right, the torque on either the front or rear will always be 50% of the total.

So the 4 corners would effectively be:

25 - 25 (F)
25 - 25 (R)

or possibly when cornering ...

35 - 15 (F)
30 - 20 (R)

or maybe this with ice on the left and tarmac on the right ...

10 - 40 (F)
05 - 45 (R)

Either way, you still get 50% when you do the math.

no, font/rear split is not always 50/50. if it's always 50/50 than you don't need a center diff. font wheels and rear wheels travel at different speed when you turn (front of car travel on larger arc than rear wheels, that means longer distance), that's why you need a center diff. if a center diff is always 50/50, then the car will not run properly. Take a ride in a car with a welded center diff and see what happen when you turn the car sharply in a parking lot, the rear wheels will hop. It’s ok in a drag race when you go straight but it’s not good on a road coarse when there are turns involved.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by zbomb
Just found this. Bozz performance has a little info. http://www.bozzperformance.com/cusco_lsd.htm
Thank you - excellent info. This confirms what I had always believed true about the enigma that is the 35:65 tarmac gear - it is not an LSD but rather just an open differential. I will contact them to see if they can get me some more info on the clamping force of the Cusco front and rear LSDs.

As for the rest of you - please read the title of this thread. This is not the place to argue over how or why the LSDs do what they do. If you want to discuss that, go here, read everything first, and if you still have something to add feel free.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=175195

Now, back on topic - anyone have any 1st hand experience with the Cusco units??

EVOlutionary
Old Jan 18, 2007, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Thank you - excellent info. This confirms what I had always believed true about the enigma that is the 35:65 tarmac gear - it is not an LSD but rather just an open differential. I will contact them to see if they can get me some more info on the clamping force of the Cusco front and rear LSDs.

As for the rest of you - please read the title of this thread. This is not the place to argue over how or why the LSDs do what they do. If you want to discuss that, go here, read everything first, and if you still have something to add feel free.

EVOlutionary
So basically the Cusco 35/65 center should not change your car too much since the OEM center is open also. That diff doesn't replace the VCU or ACD. If you replace the VCU or ACD then you will see (from what I understand) a drastic change in how your car distributes power and behaves. If you don't have a front LSD then having one of these isn't gonna help too much.

John
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
no, font/rear split is not always 50/50. if it's always 50/50 than you don't need a center diff. font wheels and rear wheels travel at different speed when you turn (front of car travel on larger arc than rear wheels, that means longer distance), that's why you need a center diff. if a center diff is always 50/50, then the car will not run properly. Take a ride in a car with a welded center diff and see what happen when you turn the car sharply in a parking lot, the rear wheels will hop. It’s ok in a drag race when you go straight but it’s not good on a road coarse when there are turns involved.
DUDE! this is the advanced forum. DO NOT POST INCORRECT INFO.

torque split is UNRELATED to the speed variations of the front vs the rear. if a diff is split 50/50, its 50/50 permanantly. even the ACD diff is a 50/50 split permanently, all the ACD does is control how fast the "LSD" locks up. It does not matter what speed, angle of turn in, ect.

go polish up on your knowlege please, stop posting incorrect info and arguing in the advanced information forum. thanks

Last edited by RaNGVR-4; Jan 18, 2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary

EVOlutionary

usually a 35/65 split is an open differential. subaru uses its DCCD to be able to manipulate the center diff so it can have the best of both worlds, a 35/65 split for grippy road, and when fully locked, the diff esentially becomes a 50/50 diff until very high stress is put on it and the lockup starts to slip, at which point the diff returns to 35/65 but still has some lockup.
there is a guy in japan running basically the same cusco center diff in his galant vr-4, and he loves it. basically, he feels the car rotates better, turns in far better, and when exiting a corner, he can get on the throttle earlier without the car pushing to the outside.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by FatheroftheEVO
DUDE! this is the advanced forum. DO NOT POST INCORRECT INFO.

torque split is UNRELATED to the speed variations of the front vs the rear. if a diff is split 50/50, its 50/50 permanantly. even the ACD diff is a 50/50 split permanently, all the ACD does is control how fast the "LSD" locks up. It does not matter what speed, angle of turn in, ect.

go polish up on your knowlege please, stop posting incorrect info and arguing in the advanced information forum. thanks
I don’t want to a ***** but what makes you the guru of differential and LSD? Do you work at Cusco or Kaaz? Only a fully locked diff can distribute 50/50 (like ACD when in lock mode). A LSD (Limited Slip Differential, eg. clutch pack, helical or viscous coupling) is not fully locked, so it can’t distribute and even 50/50. More torque is going to go towards the wheel with less traction.

That’s all I have to say on this topic, I’m not going to argue an more.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
I don’t want to a ***** but what makes you the guru of differential and LSD? Do you work at Cusco or Kaaz? Only a fully locked diff can distribute 50/50 (like ACD when in lock mode). A LSD (Limited Slip Differential, eg. clutch pack, helical or viscous coupling) is not fully locked, so it can’t distribute and even 50/50. More torque is going to go towards the wheel with less traction.

That’s all I have to say on this topic, I’m not going to argue an more.
You are absolutely wrong, actually completely reversed from how it really works. Please stop posting here. I'm not going to explain it to you - read the link I posted above and try to understand. This is NOT the place to discuss it.

All this thread is for is direct comparison of a clutch style center diff. vs. the stock VCU diff.

EVOlutionary
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
So basically the Cusco 35/65 center should not change your car too much since the OEM center is open also. That diff doesn't replace the VCU or ACD. If you replace the VCU or ACD then you will see (from what I understand) a drastic change in how your car distributes power and behaves. If you don't have a front LSD then having one of these isn't gonna help too much.

John
The stock center diff gears themselves are open, and it is the VCU or ACD that makes it an LSD.

Any Cusco center differential WILL replace the stock center differential gears as well as the VCU or ACD unit.

EVOlutionary
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Last edited by kekek; Jan 18, 2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see anything on the sites posted about a center diff. Does Cusco even make a center diff? all the diffs listed are fronts and rears.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
I don't see anything on the sites posted about a center diff. Does Cusco even make a center diff? all the diffs listed are fronts and rears.
go to this link.. http://www.bozzperformance.com/cusco_lsd.htm

scroll down and you'll see 'tarmac gear' .... that is it.

n
Old Jan 18, 2007, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so this makes the ACD unusable(therefore removable from the car)?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

I believe so, but not positive. That's why I'm trying to find more specific technical information on the Cusco units.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, i am 99% positive that you would have to remove the ACD to r un the cusco center diff.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Honda-Guy, it says in this thread, Post Number 3, Torque is a 50 front/50 rear split.

Maybe your confused with weight distribution which is a 60/40...

Quick Reply: Cusco Center LSD vs. Stock VCU LSD