Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cusco Center LSD vs. Stock VCU LSD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2007, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump
Old Apr 2, 2007, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Are you running it with the "spool" or with the VCU in place??
not sure to be honest with you.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
You have an '03 or '04, right? If you just put in the new center diff and didn't change anything else, then you still have the stock Viscous Coupling Unit (inside the transfer case). If you took the VCU off and bolted on this new part, then you are using what Greg calls a "spool", which sounds like it makes it a completely open center diff with 60% rear bias. The car handles very differently with or without the VCU. . .
Old Apr 2, 2007, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Unless nils cracked open the TC he is still running the OEM VCU. That is the config GSC is recommending.

Nice to see a review of this. Curious how it will be in an autox type of situation.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, I have an extra shiny part sitting on a shelf that I am not using. that must be it...
Old Apr 2, 2007, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

my review thread...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...96#post4160496

n
Old Apr 7, 2007, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by popadel
also, AYC, is actually in the rear diff, so it really doesnt have anything to do with the center diff, until you look at how it interacts with the ACD. but AYC was on evos since the evo 4, and ACD wasnt available till the evo 7. AYC can function on its own, basically.
Actualy AYC cant operate a a standalone. it will need adjustments to cut it apart from the connector on the ACD on the 8 and the 9.

intersting discussion so far...now that we back on track - the novises!
you are unfortunately incorrect my friend. while in the newer evos AYC and ACD are definately interactive, it can operate as a standalone unit. just as it does on evo 4-6's. in the newer evos, it does use some of the same imputs as ACD (whioch is what you are refering to, the imputs run through the same harness), but both ACD and AYC operate on seperate computer systems. case and point, the AYC system from a 7/8/9 can be bolted into a 4/5/6.

as for being more on-topic, it seems as though the GSC unit is still an LSD using the stock VCU, but still runs the higher rear split? thats what i would be looking for if i were to upgrade
Old May 15, 2007, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FatheroftheEVO
you are unfortunately incorrect my friend. while in the newer evos AYC and ACD are definately interactive, it can operate as a standalone unit. just as it does on evo 4-6's. in the newer evos, it does use some of the same imputs as ACD (whioch is what you are refering to, the imputs run through the same harness), but both ACD and AYC operate on seperate computer systems. case and point, the AYC system from a 7/8/9 can be bolted into a 4/5/6.

as for being more on-topic, it seems as though the GSC unit is still an LSD using the stock VCU, but still runs the higher rear split? thats what i would be looking for if i were to upgrade
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!