Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GSC S1 Exhaust Cam only results inside.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2007, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSC S1 Exhaust Cam only results inside.

Due to unforseen complications I was only able to install the exhaust cam from the S1 set that I have. So in the spirit of split testing I went ahead and did a run to see just what kind of results could be expected from that cam alone. Needless to say, I am very satisfied with the results.

The mods to the car for the exhaust cam test are:

Forge Unos MBC, TTP Downpipe, TTP Test Pipe, Buschur Bullet Catback, Buschur LICP, HKS drop in (Lidless), and a TTP Eflash.

The first graph is the above listed mods at 22 psi. It was about 25 degrees cooler that night so I adjusted for the temperature in DLL.

The second graph is with the GSC exhaust cam only. No modification to the tune was made whatsoever. It should be noted that the AFRs in the first run were around 11.4-11.5 tapering to 10.9 or so at the big end. In this run the AFRs were in the 10.9-11.2 tapering to 10.7 at the big end. Although the peak power is slightly lower, the area under the curve increase is significant (especially from 5000 rpms on). I think that the peak difference can be made up by leaning it out a bit...

I also added a third graph to display the exhaust cam with a couple additional mods. I added a TTP O2 housing and switched to a Buschur Downpipe. The third graph is from that run.

In all instances 3rd gear was used and boost was as follows:

~3400 22.3 psi
~4000 22.5 psi
~5000 22.3 psi
~6500 21.5 psi
~7000 20.2 psi

My car has a minimal spike (maybe .5 psi) and holds boost well to redline. I live and test the car at about 15 feet elevation...

The intake cam test should be in by next weekend...
Attached Thumbnails GSC S1 Exhaust Cam only results inside.-tbe.jpg   GSC S1 Exhaust Cam only results inside.-exhaust-cam.jpg   GSC S1 Exhaust Cam only results inside.-o2.jpg  
Old Jan 16, 2007, 06:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
What's going on with your torque curve.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:02 PM

I am assuming that it is due to the lack of a boost spike. I have noticed that a lot of people have peak torque where their boost spikes. Mine doesn't spike so I am assuming that peak torque comes in a bit more linearly...
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the whole dyno is super choppy... i think it needs some hardcore tuning and put in the 2nd cam...

you need to get the 2nd cam in and get it tuned... looks like more than just fuel.

why'd you switch dp's... 3 inch's is 3 inch's....
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But you have an UNOS, so it should behave the same as everyone else with an MBC. I think it's just the Evoscan dyno simulator, because your HP curve continually goes up all the way to 7500, and that's not where we hit peak HP. Obviously, it's doing that because your TQ continually goes up instead of gradually going down like it should. You should be peaking in the 6500-7000 range then falling back down, but it doesn't, so the dyno simulator is off quite a bit.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
the whole dyno is super choppy... i think it needs some hardcore tuning and put in the 2nd cam...

you need to get the 2nd cam in and get it tuned... looks like more than just fuel.

why'd you switch dp's... 3 inch's is 3 inch's....
The first downpipe didn't fit real well. I got the Buschur piece for peace of mind...
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
looks promising.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
But you have an UNOS, so it should behave the same as everyone else with an MBC. I think it's just the Evoscan dyno simulator, because your HP curve continually goes up all the way to 7500, and that's not where we hit peak HP. Obviously, it's doing that because your TQ continually goes up instead of gradually going down like it should. You should be peaking in the 6500-7000 range then falling back down, but it doesn't, so the dyno simulator is off quite a bit.
It is probably right that the simulator is off a bit (all conditions are the same other than temp from run to run though, so at least it is consistant), however, I assure you that I don't get much of a boost spike. I have logged it with the ZT2 map sensor quite a bit and there isn't a spike of any more than .5 or so psi. I thought that maybe cranking the Unos and runing a higher initial psi would lead to a spike and a lighter dropoff but that was not the case. Doing that caused boost to be about 25 psi from 3400-4000 with a slight taper, then 23 to about 4500 and 24-25 again from 4500-5200 or so. I didn't like that very well so now I have it set with a minimal spike.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Smoothing at 10 and your powercurves being choppy like that is a little disconcerting too. Also you have SAE correction on.

Warr, it's not the dyno simulator. Here is another IX in the same software (although with the correct IX gear ratios and smoothing not at crazy 10), his settings are incorrect.

Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Gotcha, Bryan. Good to know the simulator can be useful with the right settings. It's definitely obvious that his graphs were off, but I didn't know why. Yeah, you can see he's using "VIII 5spd" for some reason - the ratios are quite different on the IX 5spd. Good stuff.

EBP, that's very strange - your boost should not spike, fall, then go back up. YOu have a boost creep problem it seems?
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2006EBPIX
The first downpipe didn't fit real well. I got the Buschur piece for peace of mind...
good deal!
Old Jan 16, 2007, 08:11 PM

Warr, I am not sure if it is boost creep or not. I have looked at a couple of Al's dyno's of IX's and they seem to do the same thing as mine. Up, down, up, down... It did this with the stock parts as well so I am hoping that it is just the Mivec.

The Evo IX was not available on my DLL so I just use the one for the 8. I realize that it is a bit different but the consistency is what is important. I would also like to state that the car pulls like a raped ape. So the bottom line is I am satisfied thus far.

At any rate here is a much better graph. This one was taken tonight, just now. It should be a little more like what everyone is used to seeing...
Attached Thumbnails GSC S1 Exhaust Cam only results inside.-1-16-07.jpg  
Old Jan 16, 2007, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

The TQ curve is still way different, but it may be caused by your strange boost. I haven't seen al's charts do that. There is sometimes a little down/up/down hiccup when using the ECU to control boost and removing the restrictor pill, but I haven't seen any behave like yours with peak torque occuring way late in the powerband.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006EBPIX
Due to unforseen complications I was only able to install the exhaust cam from the S1 set that I have. So in the spirit of split testing I went ahead and did a run to see just what kind of results could be expected from that cam alone. Needless to say, I am very satisfied with the results.

The mods to the car for the exhaust cam test are:

Forge Unos MBC, TTP Downpipe, TTP Test Pipe, Buschur Bullet Catback, Buschur LICP, HKS drop in (Lidless), and a TTP Eflash.

The first graph is the above listed mods at 22 psi. It was about 25 degrees cooler that night so I adjusted for the temperature in DLL.

The second graph is with the GSC exhaust cam only. No modification to the tune was made whatsoever. It should be noted that the AFRs in the first run were around 11.4-11.5 tapering to 10.9 or so at the big end. In this run the AFRs were in the 10.9-11.2 tapering to 10.7 at the big end. Although the peak power is slightly lower, the area under the curve increase is significant (especially from 5000 rpms on). I think that the peak difference can be made up by leaning it out a bit...

I also added a third graph to display the exhaust cam with a couple additional mods. I added a TTP O2 housing and switched to a Buschur Downpipe. The third graph is from that run.

In all instances 3rd gear was used and boost was as follows:

~3400 22.3 psi
~4000 22.5 psi
~5000 22.3 psi
~6500 21.5 psi
~7000 20.2 psi

My car has a minimal spike (maybe .5 psi) and holds boost well to redline. I live and test the car at about 15 feet elevation...

The intake cam test should be in by next weekend...

Sorry, But why again werent you able to install the intake cam??
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

^^ what he said! LoL when is the intake cam going in?

Quick Reply: GSC S1 Exhaust Cam only results inside.