Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

zeitronix / knocking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zeitronix / knocking

is there a way to monitor engine knocking with the zeitronix zt-2?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

maybe thru the user input....logging the voltage off the knock sensor?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

anyone else know forsure?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:15 AM
Former Sponsor

slowcar would be correct. there is only one extra input for the zeitronix and that is the user input. unfortunately it wont be very useful as it will only display it as 0-5V not actually as knock.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

but doesnt cause the datalog to show voltage spikes if there are knock events.........and as long as its above the threshold of background noise, it should show up? Also isnt the ZT-2 capable of 76Hz aquisition rate?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:39 AM
Former Sponsor

i'm pretty sure it is frequency based for the knock. thus the analog input wouldn't be ideal for measuring the knock. you would want some kind of digital input to measure the frequency and then filter based of what freq. the knock is at... way more complex then tapping into the knock sensor wire with an analog input i beleive....

never tried it though, so i could be totally wrong.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:47 AM

you can use the vishnu knock buffer:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...itronix+vishnu
Old Jan 23, 2007, 07:05 AM
Former Sponsor

there you go... shubuduba has the correct answer.

without seeing the knock buffer thing, i would imagine it is a D/A, or some kind of bandpass filter. vishnu care to comment?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes the Vishnu Knock buffer is the way to go. I was the 1st to hook it up to a Zeitronix. Just hookin the knock sensor to the user input does NOTHING (i tried).

I have my knock buffer for sale. Pm me.

lol, I didnt even notice that the link in this thread was to my ad for my knock buffer
Old Jan 23, 2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Yes the Vishnu Knock buffer is the way to go. I was the 1st to hook it up to a Zeitronix. Just hookin the knock sensor to the user input does NOTHING (i tried).

I have my knock buffer for sale. Pm me.

lol, I didnt even notice that the link in this thread was to my ad for my knock buffer
How does this compare, to the turbo xs knocklite? I've been looking at various products being offered on the market, and this is what I've learnt. Their are systems like MSD Knock Alert and Knock Link ,which from my understanding function the same way. They both have a visual display to show the level of noise/knock being seen by the knock sensor, and they both have a adjustment for sensitivity. The problem is, if you set the sensitivity for one scenario, that setting does'nt necessarily work well for another, you can imagine with the knock sensor signal rising with RPM, you could have the sensitivity set low at high RPM, which could be too low for anything to turn up on the display, at low RPM, were you could be experiencing light detonation.
So, I think the best system, would be one that allows you to log a sweep of the RPM band, or a few points in the RPM Band (exp. Low,Mid,High) so you would be able differeniate engine noise, from actual knock.
And these are the systems that I know of, that allow this with some sort of display:

Turbo XS Knocklite
PLX Devices R-500
AEM ECU (Combined with Data Stream Serial Gauge)

Now, I've been trying to get some info on the HKS Knock Amp, but I cant find much info about it, Also Apexi AFC II also can display Knock, but I dont have much info on that either, maybe someone on the board has some experience with these other units, or something else, that I havent mentioned.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SHOMSPEED
How does this compare, to the turbo xs knocklite? I've been looking at various products being offered on the market, and this is what I've learnt. Their are systems like MSD Knock Alert and Knock Link ,which from my understanding function the same way. They both have a visual display to show the level of noise/knock being seen by the knock sensor, and they both have a adjustment for sensitivity. The problem is, if you set the sensitivity for one scenario, that setting does'nt necessarily work well for another, you can imagine with the knock sensor signal rising with RPM, you could have the sensitivity set low at high RPM, which could be too low for anything to turn up on the display, at low RPM, were you could be experiencing light detonation.
So, I think the best system, would be one that allows you to log a sweep of the RPM band, or a few points in the RPM Band (exp. Low,Mid,High) so you would be able differeniate engine noise, from actual knock.
And these are the systems that I know of, that allow this with some sort of display:

Turbo XS Knocklite
PLX Devices R-500
AEM ECU (Combined with Data Stream Serial Gauge)

Now, I've been trying to get some info on the HKS Knock Amp, but I cant find much info about it, Also Apexi AFC II also can display Knock, but I dont have much info on that either, maybe someone on the board has some experience with these other units, or something else, that I havent mentioned.
Check the link above to my ad, there is a couple graphs posted.

With the knock buffer you see the all the noise. its up to you to determin what knock is.