Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ECUTEK vs reg custom flash?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack

The tunes are only as good as the capabilities of the tuner you choose.
and this is the problem i am having right now. i want to make a poll but i know how biased that will be so there is no point. im really stuck here with chooseing a new tuner due to the fact that i do not want ECUTEK and some of them only offer this. this was the main reason for this thread.

i think we need a sticky thread nameing all the tuners and where in the states they are located.

ill start

Dynoflash CONN.
Pruven CONN.
Turbo Trix NJ
Ivey NJ
Inovative Tuning NY, Buffalo
No limit NY, Long Island

i know i am missing some and we should include websites as well but im rather busy today so i cant do it right now or else i would. also i only included the tuners located with-in a 5 hour radius of me in Albany NY. please add to the list with coments of the tuner and whatever else you might want to add.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 07:29 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ecutek is GARBAGE and no smart consumer should waste their money on a company who's minimum flash cost is mandated at $650 + dynotime.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The end tune is going to be the same whether you use ecutek or ecuflash. I currently tune on both and have been tuning with ecutek since it first came out two yeaars ago. Honestly the only reason I can see a tuner recommending using Ecutek over Ecuflash is that the interface is easier to tune with. Since Ecuflash has come out I have maybe 1 Ecutek to every 20 Ecuflash evo customers. In the end its always the customers choice which route they go.

Its our responsibility as the tuner to inform the customer of the differences which honestly now there aren't any except price and the easy of use for the tuner.

Lastly the tune will only be as good as the guy tuning it, so it doesn't matter what system you are using if your tuner sucks.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Ecutek is GARBAGE and no smart consumer should waste their money on a company who's minimum flash cost is mandated at $650 + dynotime.
Wow, now THAT is quite a paradigm shift. I need to go dig up all those previous EcuTek arguments, haha.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Torquefreak1
remember though that ECUTEK will "lock" your ECU up if you try to reflash it after you already had a ECUTEK reflash done.

to unlock the ecu from ECUTEK I found this site.
http://www.aktivematrix.com
Is this true?

I have an ecutek tune and want to switch to ecuflash, for tuner reasons. and of course end user interface ......

Will this program allow me to do this. I can't get a straight answer on this unlocker program.

What I got so far is ecutek scrambles the immob code, and I would have to call Works who will contact Ecutek, which will take forever I am sure. I want to get this done within the week.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

FastAzz, go to the EcuFlash forum and read up on it. Look for the posts by MalibuJack...
Old Feb 2, 2007, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
FastAzz, go to the EcuFlash forum and read up on it. Look for the posts by MalibuJack...
Thanks,

I found what I needed and am going to give it a whirl and see what happens.

I still have concerns about after unlocking that the ecu will be scambled to a point that I will not be able to distinguish.

I hope this works
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
To the OP, tune your own car. No one cares about your car more than you do. If I knew back in March of 06 what I know now, then I would not bother going to a tuner.

A Good tune does not happen with a few runs on the dyno or the street. A good tune is a continuously evolving process. It should take you weeks of tuning and tinkering to get to a good tune and you should continue to log that tune and keep tinkering with it because there are so many variables that change.

Here is what I would do if I were you:

1. Get a good logging system. This includes logging AFR, boost, timing, IDC, knock sum, coolant temp, Load and all the other. Log, Log, Log.

2. DL ECUflash. It is for free. And start reading your stock Rom.

3. Read the Ecuflash forum. There are brilliant people on that forum who will help you as long as you have done you homework.

After you feel comfortable with the Ecuflash software and understand your logs and all the parameters start creating your own flash. Make sure that the changes you have made are incremental. Flash your car and log the results. Make changes to the Rom based on the logs. Keep doing until you have a good safe flash.

Since March of 06, I have learned so much by simply following what I said above.

Good Luck.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:06 AM

this info helped me alot just gonna have my ecu reflashed
Old Feb 3, 2007, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
To the OP, tune your own car. No one cares about your car more than you do. If I knew back in March of 06 what I know now, then I would not bother going to a tuner.

A Good tune does not happen with a few runs on the dyno or the street. A good tune is a continuously evolving process. It should take you weeks of tuning and tinkering to get to a good tune and you should continue to log that tune and keep tinkering with it because there are so many variables that change.

Here is what I would do if I were you:

1. Get a good logging system. This includes logging AFR, boost, timing, IDC, knock sum, coolant temp, Load and all the other. Log, Log, Log.

2. DL ECUflash. It is for free. And start reading your stock Rom.

3. Read the Ecuflash forum. There are brilliant people on that forum who will help you as long as you have done you homework.

After you feel comfortable with the Ecuflash software and understand your logs and all the parameters start creating your own flash. Make sure that the changes you have made are incremental. Flash your car and log the results. Make changes to the Rom based on the logs. Keep doing until you have a good safe flash.

Since March of 06, I have learned so much by simply following what I said above.

Good Luck.
thats my plan, zeintronics shipping as i write this.

I'm just concerned about getting the ecutek **** off my ecu.

I tried to recoup some of my money by swapping my ecu out, but maybe I can download his stock map and be happy with that and go from there

Does anyone know if the unlocker has to be used everytime you change or upload or download a map, or if just has to be used the first time?

Last edited by FastAzzEvo; Feb 3, 2007 at 06:30 AM.