Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ECUTEK vs reg custom flash?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECUTEK vs reg custom flash?

please enlighten me on the pros and cons of both.

i know flases are cheaper because of the software u have to buy from the ECUTEK but are there any pros over say a reflash tune?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

They are basically both the same.

I don't know why anyone would go with an Ecutek flash anymore.

You have to pay for their "proprietary" software.

Save yourself the money and get a custom tune using ecuflash.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:50 AM
Account Disabled

Ecutek Flash Evo now has live map tracing and a few other features such as 3d graphing etc which make it superior - however the price premium is significant

There has been talk of them lowering the license fee which should make it more competative

It is hard to compete on price against a free product
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stuff like "live map tracing" is cool, but the lack of commitment ECUTEK shows to further improve their product with new features has driven me away from ever getting another ECUTEK flash again. No user tuning, no data log. Live and learn.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Deadbeat, you refer to "flashes" and Ecutek as if they are separate things. Ecutek is just flashing software...it's the same thing. It's just a different software for flashing just like Techtom and EcuFlash, but it requires the purchase of a license, which is a failing business proposition nowadays.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Deadbeat, you refer to "flashes" and Ecutek as if they are separate things. Ecutek is just flashing software...it's the same thing. It's just a different software for flashing just like Techtom and EcuFlash, but it requires the purchase of a license, which is a failing business proposition nowadays.
ok thats what i didnt know. i wasnt sure if there was something special about ECUTEK (other than the license) rather than a reg flash. thanks guys
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nope, it's just a different flashing software. It may have its own bells and whistles, but your tune will still be a flash tune.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Nope, it's just a different flashing software. It may have its own bells and whistles, but your tune will still be a flash tune.
the reason i wasnt sure is becasue some tuners offer both. i didnt know if one had more intricate perameters than the other. but i guess its the license u are paying for.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 01:22 PM

remember though that ECUTEK will "lock" your ECU up if you try to reflash it after you already had a ECUTEK reflash done. Yes they are essentially do the same thing. Pretty much your factors should be what your tuner perfers and the cost. The choice is obvious and as warrtalon stated...its a failing business now with the liscenses. I'm sure there is going to be some legal battles...but as the wheels of justive roll slowly, we will continue to evolve as the market changes using the tools we are given as a tuner.

to unlock the ecu from ECUTEK I found this site.
http://www.aktivematrix.com

Last edited by Torquefreak1; Jan 23, 2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 01:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The resulting flashes are more or less the same. The interface the tuner has with ECUTek is what Al (Dynoflash) was talking about, Live map tracing and 3d graphing obviously are useful tuner tools, but I personally wouldn't consider it worth paying the premium for.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
forget ecutek... just for the license is 300-400$ there are peopel doing custom flash's for 200 using ecuflash

or you can do email flash's that are probably just as good if you have a wideband and accurate boost gauge. for 50$

cheers!
Old Jan 24, 2007, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
The resulting flashes are more or less the same. The interface the tuner has with ECUTek is what Al (Dynoflash) was talking about, Live map tracing and 3d graphing obviously are useful tuner tools, but I personally wouldn't consider it worth paying the premium for.
yea not worth it. thanks guys
Old Jan 24, 2007, 06:29 AM
Account Disabled

Does the Ecutek have a better tunning capabilites then Ecuflash.......like the ability to tune MIVEC?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by milo
Does the Ecutek have a better tunning capabilites then Ecuflash.......like the ability to tune MIVEC?
Call and ask your local Ecutec vendor. If you have the stock turbo, why adjust the MIVEC since it is aready optimally tuned? In the end, both tuning flavors are the same

Last edited by Imyurturboluva; Jan 24, 2007 at 06:54 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 06:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by milo

You can tune Mivec with Either.. The real difference is the GUI the TUNER has access to.. Your paying a license fee for the TUNER to have a better user interface, there is really no difference to the end user.

I have heard there are a few additional parameters in ECUTek that ECUFlash doesn't have, but with the ongoing efforts in the community, I doubt this would be the case very long. Its only a matter of time before all of the configurable parameters are documented.

Your decision is really going to come down to what does your preferred tuner, prefer to use, and how much are you willing to spend. ECUTek doesnt offer real-time tuning, or a GUI for he end-user to make changes, or anything of any real use at the moment. At some point in the future, they may offer those things and then there is much more value in having one of their roms. But at the moment, the resulting roms are no different.

The tunes are only as good as the capabilities of the tuner you choose.

Quick Reply: ECUTEK vs reg custom flash?