Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BR Mail-in Flash......PERFECT!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avaien
This is my car. The mods just done to it from stock are intake, intercooler, all the piping, bov, mbc, ported manifold, ported turbo, ebay o2, 3" tbe w/ cat, fuel pump, motor mounts, shifter bushings, and a tune. These numbers are low for whats been done compared to other cars I have seen with the same mods. I know cars vary and was wondering exactly what caused that. What can be done to fix the problem, rather than just mod more. Would a compression test show anything?
Another tuner?
Old Jan 25, 2007, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by avaien
This is my car. The mods just done to it from stock are intake, intercooler, all the piping, bov, mbc, ported manifold, ported turbo, ebay o2, 3" tbe w/ cat, fuel pump, motor mounts, shifter bushings, and a tune. These numbers are low for whats been done compared to other cars I have seen with the same mods. I know cars vary and was wondering exactly what caused that. What can be done to fix the problem, rather than just mod more. Would a compression test show anything?
A custom tune rather than a mail-in will make more power. The mail in flashes have to be a bit conservative because you just don't know what it's really gonna do.

If you want the most power you can possibly get, hook up with AL the next time he's in your area and get a custom tune.

Aside from that, some cams would probably be a big help at this point for you.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
It would be useful tech data if you actually posted a flat AFR with a sheet that had AFR scaling on it, not power. 40 points between lines and 60 smoothing will make even a AFR change of .5 up and down look flat like that.
Well there are 3 data points listed on the original graph that state the AFR is 11.3 at the beginning of the pull, the middle, and the very end... Really no need to rescale, just look around. I understand things can change in between those couple thousand RPM's, but nothing drastic enough that it would be able to return to 11.3 again like that...

Also i think it's funny that nobody has said this, but a flat AFR accross the whole powerband is hardly optimal; you all should be schooled in the fact that riching up a bit during spool is a preferred method to induce faster spool as i'm sure other things as well (safety?), then followed up by a somewhat more lean ratio accross the midrange to promote power (though still in the safest way possible), and finally ending with it richening up again for the top end safety... - I learned this from your boy Warrtalon and could link to a billion posts of his stating this same thing; so don't even try the "apparently KOEvo knows how to tune cars better than me, who's been doing it for 4 years now," because any truely seasoned EvoM member knows this to be the preferred method. Though it should be noted that a median flat AFR through the entire power band is probably the safest, and probably most effective way of tuning for mail-ins; which i'm sure has been taken into account...

jbrown = #1 Dynoflash Buschur fanboi apparently.

Funny, just funny.

Last edited by KOEvo; Jan 25, 2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:29 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jbrown
A custom tune rather than a mail-in will make more power. The mail in flashes have to be a bit conservative because you just don't know what it's really gonna do.

If you want the most power you can possibly get, hook up with AL the next time he's in your area and get a custom tune.

Aside from that, some cams would probably be a big help at this point for you.
The high flow cat is prob what is hurting his peak power the most

I like your suggestion to have the car custom tuned

Coincidentally I will be at Buschur Racing next weekend doing custom tuning

AL
Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:33 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by KOEvo
Well there are 3 data points listed on the original graph that state the AFR is 11.3 at the beginning of the pull, the middle, and the very end... Really no need to rescale, just look around. I understand things can change in between those couple thousand RPM's, but nothing drastic enough that it would be able to return to 11.3 again like that...

Also i think it's funny that nobody has said this, but a flat AFR accross the whole powerband is hardly optimal; you all should be schooled in the fact that riching up a bit during spool is a preferred method to induce faster spool as i'm sure other things as well (safety?), then followed up by a somewhat more lean ratio accross the midrange to promote power (though still in the safest way possible), and finally ending with it richening up again for the top end safety... - I learned this from your boy Warrtalon and could link to a billion posts of his stating this same thing; so don't even try the "apparently KOEvo knows how to tune cars better than me, who's been doing it for 4 years now," because any truely seasoned EvoM member knows this to be the preferred method. Though it should be noted that a median flat AFR through the entire power band is probably the safest, and probably most effective way of tuning for mail-ins; which i'm sure has been taken into account...

Funny, just funny.
Actually a LEAN a/f at spool up spools the turbo harder and makes more TQ

A rich a/f at peak TQ helps supress knock

and genarlly the a/f can taper a bit leaner at high rpms

I think most of you arm chair experts need to realize that tuning a street driven daily driver car is a different undertaking than tuning a race car

Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Glad you brought this up as this is the other weird thing about that chart. How can it be 11.4 at 3,000 rpm, almost 1,000 rpm before peak torque? The car is still spooling so the car is moving over to the right in load, so the AFR should still be leaner until full boost.

According to the chart, if the max lean AFR is 11.4, that means it was 11.4 at 3,000 rpm, almost 1,000 rpm before peak trq according to that chart.

Now take a look up top on the right at the filter amount, 60. I urge anyone that ever dynos on a mustang dyno to get their powercurves and AFR and change that filter amount to 60 and see what happens to the numbers.

Again, compare the AFR plot to this dyno chart off a mustang:

If Al is going to say this is tech data, he needs to make sure it is indeed accurate tech data.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

i thought i'll show my PERFECT and FLAT afr plot

Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

My only gripe with the tune is I requested a custom tune many times and thought thats what I was paying for. I see the mail flash keeps a smooth afr but to create max power
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
genarlly the a/f can taper a bit leaner at high rpms
I understand every car is different and I am still on stock cams but I think there was still some power left in the car for a safe dd. I do want to thank buschur for their quick turn around on my car and cant wait to have it back.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Actually a LEAN a/f at spool up spools the turbo harder and makes more TQ

A rich a/f at peak TQ helps supress knock

and genarlly the a/f can taper a bit leaner at high rpms

I think most of you arm chair experts need to realize that tuning a street driven daily driver car is a different undertaking than tuning a race car

Thanks
Hey, i was just quoting what i learned from YOUR arm chair EXPERT OF THE WORLD!!!!!! warr...

Don't make me search, i'm too lazy.

Originally Posted by razorlab
Glad you brought this up as this is the other weird thing about that chart. How can it be 11.4 at 3,000 rpm, almost 1,000 rpm before peak torque? The car is still spooling so the car is moving over to the right in load, so the AFR should still be leaner until full boost.

According to the chart, if the max lean AFR is 11.4, that means it was 11.4 at 3,000 rpm, almost 1,000 rpm before peak trq according to that chart.

Now take a look up top on the right at the filter amount, 60. I urge anyone that ever dynos on a mustang dyno to get their powercurves and AFR and change that filter amount to 60 and see what happens to the numbers.

If Al is going to say this is tech data, he needs to make sure it is indeed accurate tech data.
+1, i was wondering the same thing; just didn't state it because there were more important matters on hand. But you are absolutely correct.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SlowCar
i thought i'll show my PERFECT and FLAT afr plot

12:1 is perfect?
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by -=SPECTRE=-
12:1 is perfect?
its got 1000cc/min methanol flowing thru the intake manifolds
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:21 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SlowCar
its got 1000cc/min methanol flowing thru the intake manifolds
As you and I have discussed on the Buschur forums I disagree that 12/1 is a good a/f ratio for a car running that high a level of methanol

http://buschurforums.com/forum/showt...6073#post86073

if any thing else a nice flash a/f line like that shows that the tuner took some time to map the car and work out the ve variations at various load points and rpms

Al

Last edited by DynoFlash; Jan 25, 2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

As you and I have discussed on the Buschur forums I disagree that 12/1 is a good a/f ratio for a car running that high a level of methanol

http://buschurforums.com/forum/showt...6073#post86073

if any thing else a nice flash a/f line like that shows that the tuner took some time to map the car and work out the ve variations at various load points and rpms

Al
http://buschurforums.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=20

this is close to a point source injection, there it is very important that the same amount of methanol is sent down each of the 4 intake runner. So that each will get the same octane and latent heat of vaporization enhancement.

AFR is just a "calibrated" number: if you run methanol on a WB thats calibrated for gas(14.7:1), stoichiometric combustion will be 14.7:1 and vice versa, if you run gas in a WB thats calibrated for methanol, stoi will be 6.5:1. The WB does not care what species of hydrocarbon BUT the amount of oxygen left after the combustion cycle...............you should know better.

Hence another name for WB = residual oxygen gas analyzer

It really does not matter what the volume flow rate of each of the 2 fuels are, 12.5:1 or lambda 0.85 is the ideal burn for the mix!

It took no time at all to make the AFR that flat, paid for 1 hr dyno time and there was still 15 mins to spare when it was all done!

Last edited by SlowCar; Jan 25, 2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: http://buschurforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86131&postcount=20
Old Jan 29, 2007, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Funny, just funny.
KOEvo = #1 evom member in need of a punch in the mouth.

IF you had read any of my other posts, you'd see where I have been warned by blonde (when he was a mod) for flaming Al in the past.

IF you used common sense, you would think to yourself, "hey maybe the guy who did the base flash would be a pretty good guy to do a custom tune. First off, it will be discounted because he already paid for the mail-in, and second, the car owner lives pretty close to the tuner's favorite hangout (Buschur Racing) so getting an appointment shouldn't be tough."

BUT, you're an ***, so neither of those two things happened. Oh well, I guess you can't get them all right.