Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

IX upgrades - sanity check

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2007 | 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Here you go again typing in all caps. Haven't you learned to stop doing that yet?

You are exaggerating. There aren't MANY people. That's a tiny fraction of all the Evos out there, and MOST of them happened for a damn good reason. Engines don't just randomly blow like you're saying. You are just trying to rationalize to yourself why yours blew. RARELY it happens at no fault to anyone, but MOST OF THE TIME, it's someone making a mistake or not knowing wtf they're doing like you...
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

You can blow up any motor if your irresponsable with boost or have a bad tune or have the very rare defective motor from the factory. Did you car have one of these?????

I WAS PUSHING LIKE 370WHP W/ ALKY . AND I LIKED IT FOR 1 YEAR...
AND HAD 1 TIME ALKY PUMP FAILURE...GOOD THING I FIND OUT BEFORE I GIVE IT A BOOST AT THAT TIME....BUT WHEN I BLEW MY ENIGNE, EVERYTHING WAS WORKING PERFECTLY FINE.....ALKY WAS SPRAYING AND TUNE WAS CUSTOME STREET TUNE FROM AL.... AND MY PISTON JUST GAVE UP....
I DONT THINK IT WAS DEFECT FROM FACTORY.,.. WAS RUNNING VERY WELL.
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Jeez, turn off your CAPS LOCK. What is wrong with you, man?
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

IYou are just trying to rationalize to yourself why yours blew.
NO I AM NOT...GO ASK ANY TUNNER.. SEE WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY...
THEY ALL AWARE OF THAT,....THAT IS STOCK BOTTOM END IS WEAK...
THEY JUST DONT TELL U BECAUSE IT WILL HURT THEIR BUSINESS.
IT IS A FACT ...WARRANTON...I HOPE U BLOW UR ENIGNE TOO IF U HAVE STOCK BOTTOM END... GO DRIVE A LITTLE BIT HARDER ~
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOBrad
Ok - I've got 3 months/3000 miles on my new IX and I'm ready for another round of upgrades. My budget is $2000-$2500. I'd like to do a quick 'sanity check' on my choices here before pulling the trigger.

My priorities:

* Top quality parts only (No ebay knockoffs...and yes I know they're cheaper!)
* Best value to performance ratio (No $600 parts to add 4HP)
* Reasonably easy to return the car to stock if necessary
* Safe build with no components stressed to their near-breaking point
* Spirited daily driver. Car will not be launched, dragged, or taken to the track.

Here are my current mods:

* Hallman Pro MBC @ 20psi
* K&N drop in filter
* Defi Boost Gauge
* TTP Engineering Flash
* Tactrix cable + Evoscan for knock monitoring

The mods I'm considering next:

* Buscher Racing 3" Turbo Back Exhaust (catless) w/ Magnaflow
* Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
* Current gen Meth Injection Kit w/ failsafe
* Zeitronix Wideband Meter (+ secondary meth failsafe)

Thoughts? Is the Walbro necessary for the above mods? Also I know that I've skipped past a lot of the standard bolt ons before jumping straight to meth (e.g. o2 housing, FMIC, lower/upper IC pipes, exhaust manifold, etc.) - but it seems like the stock IX components are decent and the gains from those bolt ons are pretty negligible for a non-tracked car. I'm sure some people are hesitant about meth, but as far as I can tell the new kits are mostly foolproof as long as you allocate money into the failsafes. Does anyone see an obvious problem with this strategy? Is anyone running a similar configuration?

TIA for the opinions!

is this going to be a daily driver or a weekend warrior?
Old Jan 26, 2007 | 07:53 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by yesevo
You can blow up any motor if your irresponsable with boost or have a bad tune or have the very rare defective motor from the factory. Did you car have one of these?????

I WAS PUSHING LIKE 370WHP W/ ALKY . AND I LIKED IT FOR 1 YEAR...
AND HAD 1 TIME ALKY PUMP FAILURE...GOOD THING I FIND OUT BEFORE I GIVE IT A BOOST AT THAT TIME....BUT WHEN I BLEW MY ENIGNE, EVERYTHING WAS WORKING PERFECTLY FINE.....ALKY WAS SPRAYING AND TUNE WAS CUSTOME STREET TUNE FROM AL.... AND MY PISTON JUST GAVE UP....
I DONT THINK IT WAS DEFECT FROM FACTORY.,.. WAS RUNNING VERY WELL.
I was pushing 500whp> on stock motor. Bad tuning and setup will give you bad results in a short amount of time.

We have yet to blow a motor.
Old Jan 26, 2007 | 08:01 AM
Account Disabled

I have given a little input on some of the changes I would make if it were my car.

* STAINLESS STEEL POLISHED TBE WITH ACTUAL FLANGES AND GASKETS FOR A GOOD FIT.
* AMS LOWER IC PIPE
* BR fabricated SS o2 housing- THERE ARE UNITS UNDER $100 AVAILABLE IN THE MARKETPLACE IF YOU SEARCH AROUND.
THE CERAMIC COATING USED IS NOT RATED TO THE LEVEL OF HEAT PRODUCED BY THE EXHAUST. I WOULD SWAIN TECH COAT IT (WHITE LIGHTNING) OR JUST SKIP THE COATING ALTOGETHER.

* BR ported/coated exhaust manifold
* Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
* Zeitronix Wideband
* Hallman Pro MBC @ 21psi
* K&N drop in filter
* Defi Boost Gauge- NOT NEEDED WITH ZEITRONIX BOOST SENSOR 35.5PSI
* TTP Engineering Flash
* Tactrix cable + Evoscan for knock monitoring

The mods I'm considering next:

* Current gen Meth Injection Kit w/ failsafe
* Zeitronix Wideband Meter (+ secondary meth failsafe)
Old Jan 26, 2007 | 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering

* STAINLESS STEEL POLISHED TBE WITH ACTUAL FLANGES AND GASKETS FOR A GOOD FIT.
* BR fabricated SS o2 housing- THERE ARE UNITS UNDER $100 AVAILABLE IN THE MARKETPLACE IF YOU SEARCH AROUND.
THE CERAMIC COATING USED IS NOT RATED TO THE LEVEL OF HEAT PRODUCED BY THE EXHAUST. I WOULD SWAIN TECH COAT IT (WHITE LIGHTNING) OR JUST SKIP THE COATING ALTOGETHER.

* Defi Boost Gauge- NOT NEEDED WITH ZEITRONIX BOOST SENSOR 35.5PSI
Hi Scott, can you provide the specific exhaust and o2 you are recommending (URL)? I understand that there will be suggestions for parts other than BR pieces (especially from different/competing vendors), but the generic suggestions aren't quite as helpful. It's not like I hadn't done any of my own searching, but admittedly the all-BR choices were partly out of convenience. I figured why get 4 different bolt-on parts from 4 different vendors (and increase the risk of poor compatibility) if there's one reputable vendor that makes them all?

And yeah, I realized the Defi boost gauge will be a bit redundant after installing the Zeitronix wideband. But I like the Defi and I don't want to yank it. If I need to use the Zeitronix boost sensor at some point in the future (as a failsafe trigger etc.), can I just install another T into the boost line without removing the Defi?
Old Jan 26, 2007 | 09:40 AM
Account Disabled

PM sent.
Old Jan 26, 2007 | 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

I would just get TBE without O2 housing upgrade for now. Too much hassle to upgrade O2 housing... It sounds like you are type of guy who will upgrade your IX with big turbo later on...

Get fuel pump, TBE without O2 housing and a nice tune.... Enjoy your car, you've only driven 3K miles.... What's the rush?????
Old Jan 26, 2007 | 11:07 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

are there JDM pieces besides buschur?
Old Jan 26, 2007 | 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yesevo
NO I AM NOT...GO ASK ANY TUNNER.. SEE WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY...
THEY ALL AWARE OF THAT,....THAT IS STOCK BOTTOM END IS WEAK...
THEY JUST DONT TELL U BECAUSE IT WILL HURT THEIR BUSINESS.
IT IS A FACT ...WARRANTON...I HOPE U BLOW UR ENIGNE TOO IF U HAVE STOCK BOTTOM END... GO DRIVE A LITTLE BIT HARDER ~
Good job continuing to break the forum rules with your stupid CAPS LOCK.

I have driven the absolute shat out of my car for over 2 years now. I'm sure everyone else is tired of hearing it, but I have over 250 drag runs, 200+ of those were 12.0-12.6, 15-20 autocrosses all of which included drag launches, and about 10 track days (road course) where you go full boost for 20-25 mins straight. I spent the entire last year doing all of my racing with full bolt-ons, cams, and alky while running 26psi.

I can't drive it any harder, and I'm CERTAIN you never drove your car this hard. You are sadly mistaken and need to stop trying to scare people when you have no clue what you're talking about.
Old Jan 26, 2007 | 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
are there JDM pieces besides buschur?

What does this question mean?
Old Jan 26, 2007 | 01:36 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
What does this question mean?
other TBE vs buschur as the original poster wanted some premium parts.
Old Jan 26, 2007 | 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

I still don't understand the question. Buschur is not JDM, and JDM does not mean premium - it just means expensive for no particular reason.