Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Difference in Nisei FMIC Street & Competition?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the nisei street on my evo 9 and the crash beam had to be removed to make it fit.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^^ Wow.. that is something really new to me. I know for a fact that you can retain the crash beam on the Evo 8. Perhaps the design on the crash beam on the Evo 9 is different I assume.

Carlos
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but nisei related.........

does anybody know if the nisei upic pipe will fit with the factory air box? i've searched but i'm inconclusive(sp).
Old Jan 28, 2007, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DWAIST

does anybody know if the nisei upic pipe will fit with the factory air box? i've searched but i'm inconclusive(sp).
yes it does!
Old Jan 28, 2007, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvOcHaRgeR
I have the nisei street on my evo 9 and the crash beam had to be removed to make it fit.
something must be wrong because i have an evo 9 and my ic fit perfect with the crash beam.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DWAIST

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=37154.0
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
^^^^ Wow.. that is something really new to me. I know for a fact that you can retain the crash beam on the Evo 8. Perhaps the design on the crash beam on the Evo 9 is different I assume.

Carlos
That is correct. The crash beam fits on the Evo 8 and 9.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO

Carlos
what's the wow for? more ammo for your anti nisei campaign?
Old Feb 19, 2007, 02:23 PM

Back on topic: Does anyone have personal experience with the new Nisei Competition Intercooler? It appears that most of this discussion has been regarding the street FMIC. I recently ordered the competition core( to replace my stock core). I'm keeping the stock plumbing for now. Im also going with the RRE GT3076R turbo kit in the next few weeks. I'm not sure if I will dyno tune once I'm done, but I will post graphs if I do.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

it's not like you're gonna be dissapointed... going from stock and on a big turbo application... you're winning
Old Feb 20, 2007, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazznevoluva
Back on topic: Does anyone have personal experience with the new Nisei Competition Intercooler? It appears that most of this discussion has been regarding the street FMIC. I recently ordered the competition core( to replace my stock core). I'm keeping the stock plumbing for now. Im also going with the RRE GT3076R turbo kit in the next few weeks. I'm not sure if I will dyno tune once I'm done, but I will post graphs if I do.
i have the comp core, very nice fit and no leaks- i never had any other ic to compare it to so i can not tell you the exact comparisons, but from the real r & d done by nisei i can tell you that i went with the best ic on the market.
but like triny says, you can't go wrong at this point!
Old Feb 20, 2007, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazznevoluva
i admit that i answer a bit dismissively your question... and socalmr makes me feel bad.

but the fact is that's really as much as you can say. very few people have tried every core out there... and the people who have are going to be biased because they tested every core with a vested interest.

i've had both the street and the comp core and i can tell you that the comp core will prolly be better for a large turbo application. the street core is for people who want to keep a hot stuffy stocklike turbo.

of course some people will beg and scream and kick until they get what they want even though it's not the proper application and an alternative was recommended... and then turn around and say it's terrible and go to da intanet and tew evewyone.

so i'm here to tell you that the comp core is the proper application for what you've thusfar described and you won't be dissapointed... and i gaurantee that like the warehouse guy.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 08:48 PM

Actually, the Nisei Competition Intercooler will be perfectly fine for the stock turbo, if not better than the street core. There is data that hasn't been released yet showing the comparison between the Street version and Competition version of the Nisei intercooler. This data is going to be released when Nisei finishes testing the products against the inventory of competitor products they have been aquiring. This data shows the Competition intercooler outperforming the Street intercooler on the stock turbo. That comes as no suprise though, which I will explain below.

The Competition intercooler can be looked at as more of a replacement or upgrade to the Nisei "Street" intercooler. The mission when making the competition intercooler was to take it to the next level in the pursuit for the perfect Evo intercooler. Nisei is constantly doing R&D on product and always brainstorming that next thing that will push the limits. The competition intercooler has similar dimensions to the street version. Thermal extraction is very close (marginally better on the competition). Where the competition intercooler totally kills the street is in pressure drop - which is over 1psi less than the 1.62psi the street intercooler tested at (at 20+psi). The street intercooler wasn't called the "street" intercooler until the competition version was released. Nisei did this to be able to distinguish between both models. However, both models can be put in the same category as far as application goes. Both can work on a stock turbo or a large turbo just fine.

The Competition intercooler is Nisei's next advancement in Evo intercooling. While it performs beautifully on a stock turbo, it's also performs phonominally on larger, more efficient turbos because of its enhanced flow. Since the stock turbo is commonly run at 20+ psi, the shaft speeds of the turbo are high. The increase in shaft speeds creates more heat. For stock turbo applications, the emphasis is on heat extraction. We've seen temps as high as 300 degrees at the turbo outlet. We saw this when comparing the street intercooler to the competition and also the street intercooler to a popular competitor's product. The competition intercooler has no problem exchanging this heat out while maintainning maximum flow. Even under some extreme conditions we were within 10 degrees above ambient temp. Larger, more efficient turbos produce more volume and boost at lower rotational speeds. The outlet temps remain significantly cooler than the stock turbo. The increased volume becomes the emphasis when selecting an intercooler in this situation, which the Competition intercooler also addresses exceptionally.

As said before, the competition intercooler is really just Nisei's next step at making the best intercooler for the Evo. When they push the limit again of Evo intercooling i'm sure you'll see a new intercooler come out or a revision to the existing product.

Now, why did Nisei discontinue the street intercooler? Most of it is explained with what i said above. The competition intercooler essentially replaced the old "Street" intercooler. Nisei plans on re-releasing the street intercooler in a more of a street application, where it will work with the stock undertray and not be as large. And, of course, you can still expect it will outperform it's competitors. This idea isn't in the works yet, but I anticiapte will be something we may see in 2007.

Last edited by myevostore.com; Feb 21, 2007 at 01:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old Mar 16, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How much power could one expect with a Nisei Street intercooler and a stock turbo over an OEM FMIC? What is the Pressure drop of an OEM FMIC? Will the benefits be immediately recognised?
Old Mar 16, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

copy cats!

Originally Posted by myevostore.com
I would get crucified if I said anything. All I can say is that it's not a turbo kit made with off-the-shelf components. I got an OK from Nisei to post up this photo as a teaser. As you can see the manifold is cast.....ok that's all i can say!

A cast manifold for an EVO? BR did it first!!!

although i will say the Nisei intercooler an a buddy's evo is darn nice.. and one of the few parts he bought that wasn't a huge ordeal to fit...

Quick Reply: Difference in Nisei FMIC Street & Competition?