Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATTENTION ATP turbo kit owners and others.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
huh? y do they suck?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=247435
Old Jan 26, 2007, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a question, not getting "dirty" in your post. Is the outlet of the wastegate as short as it seems in the picture? I mean is it really only 3" or so on the end of the wastegate or am I missing something? If it is....................
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone modified the wastegate dump, to make it external. i dont think i seen anyone do it on a atp kit yet? Correct me if i'm wrong.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I have a question, not getting "dirty" in your post. Is the outlet of the wastegate as short as it seems in the picture? I mean is it really only 3" or so on the end of the wastegate or am I missing something? If it is....................
The dump looks recirculated, there's a small section of flex pipe and what looks to be a location to plumb it to on the downpipe (its hard to see in the photo)

I've seen other photos of the kits from a different angle and those did appear to be recirculated.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
the tial wastegate only has one port just like the stock wastegate, but there is another port at the top that is open. i talked to ATP and they said for the evo it remains open, aka vent to atmosphere. i orignaly thought i was missing that nipple but i guess not. anyone want to shed some light on that?
It's pretty funny that they said that.

A pressure source to the top nipple on the Tial external wastegate keeps the wastegate shut. A pressure source to the side nipple on the Tial wastegate opens the wastegate.

With a MBC, you pretty much have no choice and have to only use the side nipple, as ATP suggested.

But, with an EBC, both ports should be used. The reason is because it will allow you to hold boost better all the way to redline, with less chance of taper. EBCs normally have a setting for an external wastegate and an internal wastegate. This is because the operation of the EBC is completely opposite for the two modes.

For an internal wastegate, or using just the side port on an external wastegate, the boost controller doesn't send pressure to the nipple until your desired boost is reached. At that time, pressure is let though to the nipple, which forces open the wastegate. The pressure opens the wastegate.

Now, in a true external mode, that side nipple is fed a constant pressure source, like from the licp or nipple on the compressor cover. The EBC is then connected to the top nipple, but the EBC is now configured in external mode. This switches the operation. The EBC now lets pressure through until your desired boost is reached, then it closes off that pressure source. So, now the constant pressure source hooked to the side nipple can open the wastegate. The EBC is just controlling keeping the wastegate shut in external mode, rather than open, when in internal mode.

This is better because, depending on where your source your top and side nipples, you can hold the wastegate shut, until you want it to open, rather than having backpressure open it prematurely. This is the inherent flaw with internal wastegates....the flapper gets blown open by excessive backpressure in the turbine housing and the wastegate cracks open before it should. The external wastegate and it's two nipples help solve that problem by applying pressure to the top nipple to keep the wastegate closed.

So, it's just my opinion, but I would always run both nipples with an EBC for an external wastegate. You may not need to depending on the boost pressures you will be running and the backpressures in your turbine, but it's the way it's designed to run and you will have better luck holding steady boost all the way to redline.

Just remember that the side nipple opens the wastegate and the top nipple closes the wastegate.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jan 27, 2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

i have a EBC so im using both output on the tial wastgate
Old Jan 27, 2007, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
the wastegate dumps back into the exhaust with a pipe.

as to modifying it to dump to atmosphere, i was going to try but then realized there is no gain and its not worth the trouble.

i ported the turbo hotside today to match it to a stock gasket. now when i get a new gasket to install this, i am going to cut the center section of the gasket so there is nothing there. here is a pic of what i did.

as for a boost controller, i have a mbc not an ebc so i will just leave the top open. the porting, i wouldnt say i took a ton of material off, but noticable. some as much as an eighth of an inch. it may not look it but its smoother than a babys ***. i also put a nice chamfer around the edges. next step, find out more about what the hell im going to do about the LICP.

PLEASE IF ANYONE WITH THIS KIT CAN TAKE A PIC OF YOUR LOWER INTERCOOLER PIPE, IT WOULD HELP SO MUCH.

Last edited by deadbeatrec; Jan 27, 2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe I misunderstood david Buschers post, but i thought he said that the re-circulating dump tube causes BP on smaller DP's such as the ATP has(I'm not knocking the kit,BTW, as I'm interested in one myself). I would think that it would be very easy to weld an extension to it to dump to the atmosphere(sp). I'm curios how this turbo would compare to the BR GT30R & the PeakBoost GT30R?

Not trying to sidetrack the thread, but is a 3065 a smaller version of a 3071 (smaller a/r)?
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea it is smaller blamo
Old Jan 27, 2007, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

So if you change the a.r. from an .82 to a .63 would you still call it a 3071? Smaller a.r. = quicker spool?
Old Jan 27, 2007, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sgt Blamo
Maybe I misunderstood david Buschers post, but i thought he said that the re-circulating dump tube causes BP on smaller DP's such as the ATP has(I'm not knocking the kit,BTW, as I'm interested in one myself). I would think that it would be very easy to weld an extension to it to dump to the atmosphere(sp). I'm curios how this turbo would compare to the BR GT30R & the PeakBoost GT30R?

Not trying to sidetrack the thread, but is a 3065 a smaller version of a 3071 (smaller a/r)?
The Buschur 3065 falls in between a GT30 and GT35, and it appears it keeps up with a GT35 until you push it past 30 psi.

-Paul
Old Jan 27, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

smaller downpipes? my ATP DP is a full 3" mandrel bent. i wouldnt consider that small.

i reall have no idea how to compare the 3065 to anything. i know its a version of the 30R but where it fits im not sure. i have the 3076/3037 turbo with the .82 A/R which i believe is the biggest 30R.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

I wasn't saying the 3" DP is small, I was quoting DB in his statemant reagrding why he vents to the atmosphere. I was looking at his BR3065 kit, and it appears that it is designed to connect to a 3" DP, so maybe he considers a 3" DP too small to re-circ back into, not sure. I've been seriously looking at the BR 20G9LT, but am concered I might out grow it, plus it seems to ownly put down 30-40 whp, whereas this kit seems to be able to put down 50-75 whp w/ the same supporting mods. I'm not knocking anyones kit BTW, just trying to determine what's the best kit w/ the least amount of lag & the most usable power.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

BTW,
here's a link from another guy w/ an ATP 3071 making 443 WHP on pump gas:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...61#post3594661
Old Jan 28, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

BTW,
here's a link from another guy w/ an ATP 3071 making 443 WHP on pump gas:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...61#post3594661
this is a good thread showing the ATP is a great kit for cheap. the only difference between his kit and mine are, i have the bigger turbo. that and he is running AEM, i will be running a flash. i cant run AEM in NY due to emissions. sucks *** i know. his turbo should spool lil quicker than mine but mine should pull harder up top.

atp kit offers 3 turbos

35R

going from smallest to largest.