Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quiet exhaust with no loss in Performance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2007, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No, sorry, if it's quiet, it's less powerful. That's just how it works - if it restricts the sound, it restricts the flow.
In general, sure. Maybe with the same exact materials with the same thickness, etc, but when you start dealing with different materials and designs, this statement doesn't always hold true.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could you provide an example of an exhast for the Evo that makes equal power while being as quiet as stock to one that is completely 3" all the way through with no neckdowns or resonators (and thus very loud)?
Old Jan 26, 2007, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I never said that it had to be as quiet as stock, but I think that is what the OP is stating about the exhaust that his friend from Japan is running.

I'm just disagreeing with your blanket statement that a louder exhaust is a more powerful exhaust. Hell, you could wrap your exhaust and make it quieter, without changing anything internally. You do know that some of the exhaust tone, resonance, and loudness comes from dimensions. geemetry, and resonance of the materials used, right? That's what I am getting at.

I generally agree that a louder exhaust is usually more powerful, but when you get down to specific examples with different materials and different designs, that just isn't always the case. Sound doesn't necessarily equate with fluid dynamics and flow.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Yadda yadda yadda, I wasn't giving a physics lesson. We're talking about basics here. Yes, of course, different materials/shapes/dimensions will behave differently, but it's not necessary to get so technical about a simple answer to a simple question. This is what we're talking about:

i was in japan, a couple weeks back and one of my friends had an aftermarket exhaust that was just as quiet as stock if not quieter and according to him there is no loss in flow or performance due to the design
Such a thing does not exist. His friend was likely exaggerating and didn't actually know for sure, but was repeating what was told to him by the vendor that took his 1,000,000 Yen. There simply is no exhaust that is quiet as stock (much less quieter) yet makes max power (e.g. equal to a Buschur catless TBE).

Last edited by Warrtalon; Jan 26, 2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Yea but you making opinionated statements saying quieter exhausts make less power is unproven and does not help the guy that started this thread. He can have a quiet exhaust and still make good power. A perforated resonator or a strait through muffler in place of the cat will make a pretty quiet exhaust and take no power away.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can the Sun Auto exhaust be purchased from?
Old Jan 26, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

look no further.

Road Race Engineering from southern California developed what they called the "stealth catback" - 3 feet total of 3'' perforated resonators on the mid-pipe of the catback (one 18'' the other 12''; mine has a one piece 3'' resonator), your choice with louvers inside or straight thru (latter a bit louder), and with all this you get a 24'' magnaflow muffler that really quiet things down. the mid-pipe has mandrel bends toward the muffler, and the muffler is 3'' in 3'' out.

now if you put a resonated test pipe and any downpipe...i have this set up and it is SERIOUSLY just as quiet as stock, with a lower tone...you will not regret it. i've searched EVERYWHERE and talked to everybody about this, and this is the choice i went with, couldnt be happier.

if you can't get it from RRE (i dont think they ship it), you can have a local mufler shop custom make this catback, just make sure you get mandrel bends all the way through.

this catback has gave Evo's down here more than 500whp. with a non-resonated and straighter muffler maybe it could gain a couple more horses, but not proven. however living in California, a TBE with this volume is absolutely necessary IMHO, unless you enjoy talking to every cop on the block on the side of the road every other day.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

i know it is tough to believe due to what we are use to here, but the company that sells this did all the r & d and guarantees that this will produce AS MUCH power as anything else out but the only draw back was the extra 10-15lbs of added weight - which i think for what this exhaust is worth that is not much of a drawback.

but i do appreciate the comment because that is what i asked for.

warrtalon - out of curiosity, if this exhaust does do what it has proven to do and you see the proof - my question would be - would you be interested? or it is not what you think the US market is after.

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yadda yadda yadda, I wasn't giving a physics lesson. We're talking about basics here. Yes, of course, different materials/shapes/dimensions will behave differently, but it's not necessary to get so technical about a simple answer to a simple question. This is what we're talking about:

Such a thing does not exist. His friend was likely exaggerating and didn't actually know for sure, but was repeating what was told to him by the vendor that took his 1,000,000 Yen. There simply is no exhaust that is quiet as stock (much less quieter) yet makes max power (e.g. equal to a Buschur catless TBE).
Old Jan 26, 2007, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
look no further.

Road Race Engineering from southern California developed what they called the "stealth catback" - 3 feet total of 3'' perforated resonators on the mid-pipe of the catback (one 18'' the other 12''; mine has a one piece 3'' resonator), your choice with louvers inside or straight thru (latter a bit louder), and with all this you get a 24'' magnaflow muffler that really quiet things down. the mid-pipe has mandrel bends toward the muffler, and the muffler is 3'' in 3'' out.

now if you put a resonated test pipe and any downpipe...i have this set up and it is SERIOUSLY just as quiet as stock, with a lower tone...you will not regret it. i've searched EVERYWHERE and talked to everybody about this, and this is the choice i went with, couldnt be happier.

if you can't get it from RRE (i dont think they ship it), you can have a local mufler shop custom make this catback, just make sure you get mandrel bends all the way through.

this catback has gave Evo's down here more than 500whp. with a non-resonated and straighter muffler maybe it could gain a couple more horses, but not proven. however living in California, a TBE with this volume is absolutely necessary IMHO, unless you enjoy talking to every cop on the block on the side of the road every other day.
i would think something like this would restrict flow a little bit. do you think that this would flow the same as a buschur bullet exhaust - my opinion - i don't think that it is possible but i could be wrong.

i personally have the v-band buschur bullet exhaust, and i did a lot of research before i bought it - and from my research - no body was able to outflow this exhaust - comparing apples to apples, not some 3.5 or 4" exhaust of course. and i love it - but i did recently get pulled over and my exhaust is what sparked it, but i had the cat in at the time, so i did not get a ticket or anything. but i totally understand what you mean by here in cali it is getting more and more necessary to have a quiet exhaust.

so back to my question, would you guys be interested if the exhaust was avail here in the US?
Old Jan 26, 2007, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by socalmr

so back to my question, would you guys be interested if the exhaust was avail here in the US?
Yes Sir!!
Old Jan 26, 2007, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

i'd like the sun auto one
Old Jan 26, 2007, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
the Buschur TBE w/ magnaflow option is pretty quiet considering i'm catless
Old Jan 26, 2007, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

my first catback was the Turbo-XS RFL Ti... a beautiful system but very loud... especially after the install of the downpipe and hfc...

...after the install of the Invidia G200 which is a true 3 inch with one resonator in the midpipe, i still saw the same whp on the dyno but the sound is 100% less... inside it sounds just like the stock exhaust. Really i cannot hear a difference. At idle from behind the car you can really tell that this exhaust is an aftermarket but without being loud...

...and i never installed the buffler in the tip. it doesn't need it!!!
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Jan 28, 2007, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like my Injen SES. It is quiet and stealthy. It did well in the Turbo mag exhaust shootout, only behind the Greddy Racing TI by 0.4 hp and 1.6 tq. Pretty much the reason I bought it. I wanted a quiet exhaust that performed well. There is a slight bottleneck in the rear muffler. Some say this sacrifices performance, but I don't see how you would lose a significant amount of HP from it, but what do I know? https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ight=injen+ses

Quick Reply: Quiet exhaust with no loss in Performance