Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quiet exhaust with no loss in Performance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree 100%, Stealth is in! In Ca we have to watchout for ticket hungry Po po's. When I read someones review that the Tanabe Touring Medallion was "too quiet" for them, I ordered it right then! Cheers!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will begin to realize that 9 out of 10 times, the louder the exhaust the lighter the exhaust (in terms of materials to fabricate piping, canister, exhaust tip, etc.)

It might sound absurd but it all makes sense when you think about the amount of material put into the exhaust. Usually heavier hence thicker piping will resonate the the exhaust note deeper and lower (along with additional resonator supports of course)

I realize this when I was taking of several of my exhausts, one being ebay one i purchased for 300+ (dont bash) That whole piece from testpipe back weighs at least 20 lbs lighter than my current HKS-Hi Power one. The HKS definitely has a better note at idle and during WOT it doesnt sound like a train wreck coming through, although I did make more gains with the ebay exhaust I am happier with a better sounding exhaust for driveability.

Just what i realized.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sti"izzle"
I agree 100%, Stealth is in! In Ca we have to watchout for ticket hungry Po po's. When I read someones review that the Tanabe Touring Medallion was "too quiet" for them, I ordered it right then! Cheers!
I have no front plate, tinted windows, and a loud enough exhaust and never been hassled by the cops up here. They stop next to me at the lights and never even look my way. I guess it helps to not be 19 years old. Old man FTW
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This thread was 3 years old.

The stock exhaust is just fine if you use an aftermarket DP and TP. This is what I'm running. I'm guessing its holding back about 10WHP but its quiet and stock looking.

If you want power and silence just toss a BBK on and run mid 11s all day long. Here is a vid from years ago of an old school Green with stock exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQsMC...layer_embedded