Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Titanium Pistons,Rods, Cranks, Camshafts,etc....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Titanium Pistons,Rods, Cranks, Camshafts,etc....

Any of these above parts come in Forged titanium?? Just wondering if anyone have heard of such a thing??? If they do come in titanium, what are the benefits??
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by REDEVILEVO9MR
Any of these above parts come in Forged titanium?? Just wondering if anyone have heard of such a thing??? If they do come in titanium, what are the benefits??
Titanium=Light weight. Not sure of the strenght as compared to other metals though.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:38 AM

Just wondering if the metal are strong enough to withstand the vigor amount of abuse
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

I wondered the same, like what about a titanium block? lighter and much stronger than aluminum.... pry would cost $20,000 thats why no one does it? I know its stronger then SS and aluminum but i dunno about cast.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

I believe NSX has titanium connecting rods, also I think there are companies that make at least rods in titanuim. Don't know about pistons though. Think there may be issues with titanium for stuff like block and pistons.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

The new Z06 uses ti rods. Never seen ti pistons...ever. Also, aluminum is lighter than ti, by a lot. The overall weight of a component is dependent on the application. There are times ti is lighter than aluminum due to the fact that less material is required to acheive the same strenght. Again, this is all application dependent. Ti is not the right material for all applications (just like any material). I believe pistions to be one of these areas where aluminum is far superior. Where as with con rods ti is superior to aluminum. Drag cars can use aluminum connecting rods since they are lighter, but they fail in tension. It's not a problem in this case because they get on the clutch right as they cross the line, not slowing the car with the motor.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

there is a lot of misconception about titanium metal. it is not light compared to aluminum. Ti = 4.5g/cc and Al - 2.7g/cc. Ti does have a high specific strength; strength to weight ratio.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

with the high cost of titanium recovery and processing discouraging its greater use in automotive, consumer, medical and military applications.
this might answer your question..
Old Jan 27, 2007, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

i dont know if titanium could withstand a higher temp... if i remember correctly... some of the new BMW uses carbon kelvar rods and piston which proven to be very strong and light weight...
Old Jan 27, 2007, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I believe NSX has titanium connecting rods, also I think there are companies that make at least rods in titanuim. Don't know about pistons though. Think there may be issues with titanium for stuff like block and pistons
I have a set if you want to bye them. Anyway, Arrow will make you a set of rods but, you have to pay for them, dearly of course. One of the biggest problems that I know of with Ti rods would be that a bushing needs to be placed in the small end because the Ti sticks to other metals. I believe the Ti stretches also which for our application may not be the case, as I don't believe they would be stressed enough. As far as Ti pistons are concerned, the last I heard of them being considered was in F1 or LeMans, but it was a fleeting though as far as I know. Oh yeah, I think Arrow may have solved the stretching problem by creating a stud that is actually part of the rod itself. Not posative. The Ti pistons theoretically could be coated with a diamond like coating (DLC) then used. 2 years ago the pistons were MMC, but are now banned by the ACO(the sactioning body for American LeMans Series). I wish some one could help create a group-bye for some Ti Rods, I would take a serious look at them for sure.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carrillo can make custom titanium rods. If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it (around $1300 each). Personally, I prefer their H-beam or Super-A design in steel.

For most applications (especially street) it isn't practical/cost effective to use a titanium rod. Focus on other areas first. The LS7 Corvette engine is equipt with low grade titanium rods. There is already word of reliability issues.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

For the block and pistons, I think ceramics are the wave of the future...
Old Jan 27, 2007, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey look there is more to the internet than EvoM. Who knew.

http://www.google.com/search?q=titan...ient=firefox-a

Go forth and read.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Pauter makes custom titanium rods as well.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Titanium=Light weight. Not sure of the strenght as compared to other metals though.
Actually aluminum is considerably more light than titanium is. But since titanium is so strong, only a relatively small amount can be used to provide the same strength as if the part was steel or aluminum. This gives the misconception that titanium is extremely light when it's density isn't really impressively low.

Quick Reply: Titanium Pistons,Rods, Cranks, Camshafts,etc....