Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I Just Blew My Motor!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurbotrixRacing
Please explain to me in all your wisdom .. How a lean car kicks a rod ? This was car that had a mechanical failure while driving on the highway in 4th gear. The car was tuned at 21psi of boost. I used two boost gauges when it was tuned and tuned afr 11.3... If that is lean ... then shame on me. His secondary mapping, were 2 points richer on the fuel .. and ign timing on the secondary map were 2 degrees at peak torque ..to 6. If an evo detonates .. badly it will crack the top of piston , or split it down the middle. Seen both.. Not kick a rod. For all he knows he could of had oil pump failure, balance shaft failure ect. What i can tell you is ... whatever happend to the car was not the result of a tune at 21psi .. that was more then safe. I've seen brand new evos with a couple hundred miles on them .. spin rod bearings, have rod failure ect. I guess mitsu must of tuned those lean as well..

Until you know facts .. do everyone a favor and leave your guesses to yourself...

Mark
Turbotrix

If this remark is to both me and evo-8-ya, i never wrote it was your fault, but just stated that you guys tuned the car. And i cant understand how it happened at such low boost and minor mods.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
I couldn't agree more. You gambled, you lost. stealing/defrauding whatever you wanna call it wouldn't be my suggestion either. As others have suggested you can take this opportunity to build it faster/stronger than before. Good luck man.
who said im going back to mitsu for warrantee. I stated already taht my car isnt under warrantee becasue of the tranny issue i had. Its all burnt up now anyway, so whats the point
Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you don't tell them how much it's worth, they tell you. Also unless you tell them you have aftermarket parts (and therefore pay your insurance premium on the additional price) you're not entitled to payout on those parts.

to post pics you need to host them somewhere online photobucket or a personal website to name a few.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MSTR MR9
If this remark is to both me and evo-8-ya, i never wrote it was your fault, but just stated that you guys tuned the car. And i cant understand how it happened at such low boost and minor mods.

Nope .... just him. You didnt say anything about it. Good luck with everything, hope it all works out with the insurace.

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TurbotrixRacing
Please explain to me in all your wisdom .. How a lean car kicks a rod ? This was car that had a mechanical failure while driving on the highway in 4th gear. The car was tuned at 21psi of boost. I used two boost gauges when it was tuned and tuned afr 11.3... If that is lean ... then shame on me. His secondary mapping, were 2 points richer on the fuel .. and ign timing on the secondary map were 2 degrees at peak torque ..to 6. If an evo detonates .. badly it will crack the top of piston , or split it down the middle. Seen both.. Not kick a rod. For all he knows he could of had oil pump failure, balance shaft failure ect. What i can tell you is ... whatever happend to the car was not the result of a tune at 21psi .. that was more then safe. I've seen brand new evos with a couple hundred miles on them .. spin rod bearings, have rod failure ect. I guess mitsu must of tuned those lean as well..

Until you know facts .. do everyone a favor and leave your guesses to yourself...

Mark
Turbotrix

How does a lean car kick a rod? I hope your Joking. I agree it is a little excessive and hopefully the head just lifts, but it is entirely possible.

FWIW Marc I have had my Evo Tuned by you and although it made serious WHP on the dyno on pump, it was kinda slow and dead up top on the street. I guess I learned that a Dynojet loads up a car a little less then the street does. Turns out it was knocking badly and after I bought a wide band and learned my Ecu Flash I saw it kocned on teh spoolup and pretty much WOT. I added back about 10% to get me a MUCH smoother tune and retooled my spoolup and WALA (thank you ECU Forums), about 5MPH in the 1/4 mile and amuch more usable powerband.

I guess I have to thank you for the tough love because I am learning to tune my car and can help others as well.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Jeez, between the cost of the car and all the modifications/repairs, this is going to be close to a $50K or $60K vehicle. Man.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Damn first the motor blows, then the car goes up in flames? Man that is some bad luck
Old Jan 29, 2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Damn first the motor blows, then the car goes up in flames? Man that is some bad luck
I have quite possibly the worts luck with this car. everything that could have gone wrong, did. Other than the car being faster than normal, accorging to turbotrix, claiming i made the most power for the mods on their dyno, this car was a disaster if it broke. Dont get me wrong i love this car and probly going to get another one after the insurance clears, but its a PITA if you modify it.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

I have quite possibly the worts luck with this car. everything that could have gone wrong, did. Other than the car being faster than normal, accorging to turbotrix, claiming i made the most power for the mods on their dyno, this car was a disaster if it broke. Dont get me wrong i love this car and probly going to get another one after the insurance clears, but its a PITA if you modify it.
do not get me wrong, I'm just looking at the situation logically to make a suggestion: You had a relatively lightly modded car, with relatively low miles, given these characteristics, you managed to, destroy (1) transmission, destroy (1) clutch, and have the motor fail (presumibly a ventilated block). I'm not accusing you of breaking the motor yet. It seems to me that you have (3) options on how to proceed:
(1) reconsider the style of driving you plan on doing and ensure you have the budget to support that plan.
(2) buy a new evo and change the way you drive (use it as a street car rather than something you beat the hell out of and throw a ton of mods on)
(3) buy something else.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

+1
Old Jan 29, 2007, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Wow buddy I can't imagine how bad you must feel...really sorry to hear that. Good luck with everything and hopefully insurance will help you out with the fire
Old Jan 29, 2007, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

The thing is that i have all the reciepts for my modifications done to the car. I have well over $8,500 invested. The tranny and transfer case alone came out to 4,000, plus the exedy twin disk. I am so pissed, i had just gotten the car back from the tranny swap about 2 weeks ago, the clutch and everything is brand new.
I hope i can collect on all those parts, since i have full coverage.
I don't know who insures your car but I recently went through a similar experience. I have USAA and my '02 WRX was a total loss (fire actually). Back before I got really serious into modding it I called USAA to get an agreed value policy. They said they didn't offer them but if I kept all my receipts, they would take them into consideration upon the event of a total loss. Well my car burnt to the ground but I thought everything would work out. Right? I gave the adjuster $12k in receipts for various mods. He gave my car a perfect condition pre claim rating. Unfortunately, USAA only gave me $5k for all my mods and most were within 12 months. A lot of guys I spoke with said I was lucky because they usually rate modded cars for less money than standard cars!
What did I learn? Get a stated/agreed value policy or don't throw money at your car.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. Just chalk it up to one of those unlucky moments in life. After building up your car the way you did, having the engine go must have been a heart wrenching experience.

For those of you, telling the OP to return the car to stock and take it to the dealership, for god's sake read the damn thread!
Old Jan 29, 2007, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmmm...
Car caught on fire on a flat bed?
What did the driver said about the cause?
Tow truck company didn't inform you till you got there?
Did they even try calling the Fire dept. or try to put it out ?

Something doesn't seem right here....Or is it just bad luck.

Hmmm....
Old Jan 29, 2007, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

something isnt right here ^^ +++1