Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad ASS EVO on E85..........

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I noticed that the pumps in Ohio said "minimum 70% Ethanol" on them and the local pump down here in Indiana says "minimum 85% Ethanol".... so I am probably actually tunned on "E-70" or some "in between" mix. I will monitor my A/F ratios closely over the next few fill ups to see how the local mix works out since it is supposedly "pure" E-85 here.

Just for giggles I dynoed the car the day after the tune on a dynapack AWD dyno up in Michigan to get another comparison point between Davids Mustang dyno and the other dyno's that are out there. On the tunning factory's AWD dynapack (formerly Godspeed) I made 549 wheel HP. The curve is shaped a bit different and of course has a higher peak output. Does this mean my car is faster today than it was yesterday when I left Daves shop dyoing at 503 wheel HP? Lets not be silly! Same tune, same boost, same weather conditions... only change was the dyno being used for the testing.

On the gas milage issue, driving 80 mph with some nasty wind conditions I was getting 18 mpg highway on the E-85 on the trip home. The longest single stage of the trip was 225 miles and used aprox 12.5 gallons of fuel.

I will scan in the Dynapack dyno sheet so people can compare it to the Mustang dyno sheet.

Keith
Old Jan 30, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is the dyno sheet.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails Bad ASS EVO on E85..........-dynapack-hp.jpg  
Old Jan 30, 2007, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so the only thing you need in order to reliably run e85, is just bigger injectors to make up for the huge amount of fuel needed and of course an aftermarket fuel pump or two...and thats about it?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Smogrunner
David,
Great job. I think the use of E85 should become more than a trend, it should become a political movement among tuner crowd. It is cleaner, renewable, and made in America. I wish the big dogs (SEMA, JEGS, HKS, Tire Rack, SCCA, NASA, IDRA, Garrett, Greddy, NOPI, whatever) would try to use Ethanol E85 to de-crimialize the tuner scene somehow.

I know that was a kinda wierd ramble, but I'm sick of feeling like a law-breaker just because I mod my Evo. Hod Rodding is American as apple pie and cowboys. Maybe clean burning E85 can give us some leverage as a community.

Once again, great job on the tune.
I like where your head is at!

Anyway, is there any need for concern in regards to E-85 bieng corrosive to our metal components, such as the cylinder head? Im sure there are other parts that can be affected but that was the first thing that came to my mind. Shoot even the fuel pump has metal parts in it!?!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

A cool website to locate E85 in your area.

http://www.e85refueling.com/
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I hate to turn my own thread into a pile of crap but something that is interesting to me.

I get accused of doing nothing but wanting to sell/promote our parts constantly, which of course I know that isn't my primary purpose behind my posts.

This topic is typical of many others.

I do some testing, do something new whatever and then make a post about our finding. Then magically other poeple jump in and talk about what they did, their results etc. etc. That's fine but it pisses me off that I publically share the information so everyone can gain something from it (whatever the part/test was) and you don't see other shops taking their time to do this.

Just a quick rant.

I go through life pissed off.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I hate to turn my own thread into a pile of crap but something that is interesting to me.

I get accused of doing nothing but wanting to sell/promote our parts constantly, which of course I know that isn't my primary purpose behind my posts.

This topic is typical of many others.

I do some testing, do something new whatever and then make a post about our finding. Then magically other poeple jump in and talk about what they did, their results etc. etc. That's fine but it pisses me off that I publically share the information so everyone can gain something from it (whatever the part/test was) and you don't see other shops taking their time to do this.

Just a quick rant.

I go through life pissed off.
Sorry to hear that, but can you please respond to my post about 2 posts above. I am very interested in E-85
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

hold on.... are you saying I can have my car tuned to run E85?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Dave, some of us def appreciate what you contribute to the site by posting your findings and doing these tests. It is threads like this that are the reason forums are interesting to me and a good source of knowlegdge (once you sift through the crap). Please continue to post your findings on e85 or anything else you decide to test on our cars. Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

i just converted my turbo s2000 to run on E85. I was sick and tired of running race gas all the time. There is nothing like making 600whp on pump
Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David, There are many out there who appreciate what you do. I've heard from several people through pm's that simply don't post because of the morons out there. Your testing is followed and appreciated by more than you know. It's funny, one person can post something ignorant and that's the one that gets remembered out of hundreds that are positive. Keep up the good work on the E85. I may have to have you come to beautiful central Oklahoma for an E85 tune. I've decided it might be easier to get you here as opposed to pulling my car 1031 miles. We have snow AGAIN today.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:38 AM

I have a question, on the dsmlink forums people have been seeing walbro's die early (in only a few months) with e85.

Have you looked into this at all? On every site I've seen discussing E85 it stresses to make sure all your fuel components are E85 friendly. Just wondering if you have looked into this.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Dont know about walbros, i have weldon pump in my car. i've talked to couple people and they told me walbro's worked on their car without any probs.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Buschur bad boys do it again. Nice! E85 is still meeting resistance here in Tampa, Fl. They don't want to build a refinary so that that we would have a really close source. Probably because of the large amounts of Gasoline and Oil that comes in through Port of Tampa. When it does get here I'll be wanting one of those maps!!!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:37 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
I noticed that the pumps in Ohio said "minimum 70% Ethanol" on them and the local pump down here in Indiana says "minimum 85% Ethanol".... so I am probably actually tunned on "E-70" or some "in between" mix. I will monitor my A/F ratios closely over the next few fill ups to see how the local mix works out since it is supposedly "pure" E-85 here.

Just for giggles I dynoed the car the day after the tune on a dynapack AWD dyno up in Michigan to get another comparison point between Davids Mustang dyno and the other dyno's that are out there. On the tunning factory's AWD dynapack (formerly Godspeed) I made 549 wheel HP. The curve is shaped a bit different and of course has a higher peak output. Does this mean my car is faster today than it was yesterday when I left Daves shop dyoing at 503 wheel HP? Lets not be silly! Same tune, same boost, same weather conditions... only change was the dyno being used for the testing.

On the gas milage issue, driving 80 mph with some nasty wind conditions I was getting 18 mpg highway on the E-85 on the trip home. The longest single stage of the trip was 225 miles and used aprox 12.5 gallons of fuel.

I will scan in the Dynapack dyno sheet so people can compare it to the Mustang dyno sheet.

Keith
What turbo are you running?

Quick Reply: Bad ASS EVO on E85..........