Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad ASS EVO on E85..........

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:43 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To David Buschur. What size injectors will I need for 450whp on your dyno on E85 fuel? The turbo that will be used will be a 20glt at 30psi. Will I also need to use you modified Walbro pump? You stated that with E85 you will need larger fuel injectors and a larger fuel pump. I would also like to keep the injector duty cycle at 80 percent at maximum load. Thank for all your testing and research!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ISPracing
Dont know about walbros, i have weldon pump in my car. i've talked to couple people and they told me walbro's worked on their car without any probs.
From what I understand they work just fine, but that apparently some internal seal gets eaten and they lose the ability to hold pressure.

I have no first hand experience with the pumps and e85 which is why I'm asking but I am planning on running it in my EVO and would just like to know if anyone can dismiss my worries about them.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

im sorry to hear that dave but i find your know how remarkable, I would have never expected these results, You sell me on alot of ideas even if i dont ness. come to you. but i want you to know that you make alot of ideas and choices easier by the infomation you post.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Vigo
To David Buschur. What size injectors will I need for 450whp on your dyno on E85 fuel? The turbo that will be used will be a 20glt at 30psi. Will I also need to use you modified Walbro pump? You stated that with E85 you will need larger fuel injectors and a larger fuel pump. I would also like to keep the injector duty cycle at 80 percent at maximum load. Thank for all your testing and research!
well in theory you need 20-30 percent more fuel for e85 compared to gasoline.

So id say 880cc at the least, and yes you would need an upgraded fuel pump.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 02:54 PM
Account Disabled

Thanks, jordo.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I hate to turn my own thread into a pile of crap but something that is interesting to me.

I get accused of doing nothing but wanting to sell/promote our parts constantly, which of course I know that isn't my primary purpose behind my posts.

This topic is typical of many others.

I do some testing, do something new whatever and then make a post about our finding. Then magically other poeple jump in and talk about what they did, their results etc. etc. That's fine but it pisses me off that I publically share the information so everyone can gain something from it (whatever the part/test was) and you don't see other shops taking their time to do this.

Just a quick rant.

I go through life pissed off.
I see you had the time to rant, but to respond i guess you couldnt find the time. Thanx
Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by V.8MR
I see you had the time to rant, but to respond i guess you couldnt find the time. Thanx
if you want E-85 answers do some research. David's just sharing some information, he's not starting a post to answer all E-85 questions.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes E-85 is very good stuff for the price. I was running E-85 for around half of last summer. I did plenty of testing on various seals, gaskets, aluminum, etc... E85 supposedly is pretty corrosive stuff but the only thing I noticed was a TINY amount of oxidation spots here and there. I was also running it with an aluminum fuel cell which looked brand new after many months of using E-85.

I have heard that Walbros dont like E-85 nor are they specifically rated to take it but the A-1000 I had in also wasn't supposed to run E-85 or Methanol but when I spoke with Aeromotive about it they claimed there should be no problems. All Weldon pumps are rated for Methanol.

As for the extra power you see, Alot of it has nothing to do with the Octane rating.. its because of the alcohol part... it keeps things extremely cool. I ran the latter part of the summer with no intercooler and around 23psi with more timing than I could run with pump gas... that is all with no intercooler at all. With an intercooler you should be able to run much higher boost with much more timing with no problems.

Here is some of the info:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...highlight=E-85

Last edited by TrinaBabe; Jan 31, 2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vigo
Based upon my personal experiences you will need 1000cc injectors as a minimum. With my setup I'm seeing IDC as high as 95% running 31 psi peak and tapering to ~25.5 at redline. With DB's dual pump setup you may be able to improve your duty cycles, as I think my fuel pressure is probably dropping off at the top end.

-Paul
Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:31 PM
Account Disabled

Thanks for the answers PVD04! Hopefully within one to two years California will have E85. This is a much better alternative to alcohol injection and race gas.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by nolimits1320
if you want E-85 answers do some research. David's just sharing some information, he's not starting a post to answer all E-85 questions.

What are you his attorney? I think if he intends to support it and advertise that he will tune for it, he should acknowledge some of the risks and negatives associated with using a fuel containing a lot of alcohol.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by V.8MR
What are you his attorney? I think if he intends to support it and advertise that he will tune for it, he should acknowledge some of the risks and negatives associated with using a fuel containing a lot of alcohol.
anyone who's done any research knows the common FAQ of ethanol, and it really doesn't need to be rehashed in every E-85 thread. He's not selling it, he's just sharing his results.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PVD04
Based upon my personal experiences you will need 1000cc injectors as a minimum. With my setup I'm seeing IDC as high as 95% running 31 psi peak and tapering to ~25.5 at redline. With DB's dual pump setup you may be able to improve your duty cycles, as I think my fuel pressure is probably dropping off at the top end.

-Paul
I agree 100% on the 1000 cc injectors if you will ever be running "summer blend" E-85. On the "winter blend" E-85 up in Ohio I was running really rich and conservative at 30 psi of boost and mid 90's duty cycle. Now I am back home running "summer blend" E-85 since central Indiana is a bit south of Northern Ohio and it makes a big difference in the amount of fuel I have to add. I can still run the 30 psi, and I am in the process of road tunning it back to a reasonable map with advice via phone from Dave Buschur, and I will probably end up with a mid 11's A/F ratio after all is said and done.... we will see in the Morning I am thinking my fuel milage will be even lower on summer blend E-85 than it was on the winter blend E-85. Running 80 mph through hilly country I had around a 25% drop in fuel economy (24 mpg down to 18 mpg). I wouldn't be surprised to see 16 mpg highway milage on the summer blend.

Keith
Old Jan 31, 2007, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
First let me answer the question what injectors and pump do you need for 450 whp on our dyno. A standard Walbo on E85 is going to marginal at that power level. The injectors if you intend to keep them at 80% duty cycle will probably need to be 1,000's.

As for V.8MR, you sir are not worthy of my answer. Go somewhere else. I do not want to answer you, help you are sell you parts. I missed your first question and haven't been back here to make a new post lately. Had you simply asked nicely again I'd be glad to answer. Since you want to act like an idiot, I have no desire to answer or do I have an obligation.

The fuel mileage really took a hit Keith, hate to see that. Still for the cost of the fuel and to have the car so smooth with 500+ whp right there all the time, I'd say it is worth it.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 05:37 PM
Account Disabled

I cant wait to get my car on this stuff. Minnesota has a pump on every corner.

Quick Reply: Bad ASS EVO on E85..........