Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shepherd Racing options???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2007, 06:07 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by talentsearch301
sorry for the somewhat hi-jack

so what would I ask Mr. Shep to do to my transmission if I had a car built for road road racing?
He would likely tell you to get the REM treatment, use mt90, his full rebuild and ask you if you wanted to change the gearing in anyway, if you did then there are some different options for you...
Old Feb 2, 2007, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i got the REM treatment sooo dope. I love my tranny the only thing is Shep told me to use Syncromesh not MT90 but im going to email him today and see what he says.

Back on topic youll love the tranny trust me!
Old Feb 2, 2007, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Yeah his is broken and must be fixed. Im talking if yours isnt broken. Should I take out my trans and have it done up because it "might" break? I dont think so.

BTW, you know the 903whp AMS EVO runs the stock transmission.
For some of us getting a rebuild before it breaks is called PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE. Sorry if you don't understand that. But anyways, as stated the AMS Evo runs a rebuilt Shep Trans as do many other drag racers. Many road racers run TRE trans.

When you start pushing the car beyond its OEM design limits you need to upgrade or face failure of parts. So for a lot of us, we choose to either rebuild while the trans is still good, or wait till something breaks.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
You will save yourself 700+ dollars if you just get it done before you break it...its all depends on how you drive the car, if you abuse it and race it its going to break eventually...

Well Ive been beating the living daylights out of my car since I pulled out of the lot with way more mileage than any other 2005. Ive also been 350whp~ since 3500 miles. Now at 67,000 and also using GM Syncromesh, its fine. There are multiple members on here with big power as DD's using stock transmission still.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
For some of us getting a rebuild before it breaks is called PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE. Sorry if you don't understand that. But anyways, as stated the AMS Evo runs a rebuilt Shep Trans as do many other drag racers. Many road racers run TRE trans.

When you start pushing the car beyond its OEM design limits you need to upgrade or face failure of parts. So for a lot of us, we choose to either rebuild while the trans is still good, or wait till something breaks.
I didnt mean the actual AMS EVO. I meant the black one built by AMS. That one had SHEP T-case, but stock transmission. Im talking the guy who had the 2.3+35R setup and had all the videos out who then upgraded to 42R and did 903whp. I know the AMS drag car uses a Shep built tranny.

I do understand preventative maintenance. I do it sometimes depending on the job on my car, however, unless your making pretty substantial power, I dont think taking out the transmission (which is a crap job unless you have a lift) and getting it built is necessary at all.

Last edited by Soon2BEVO; Feb 2, 2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
He would likely tell you to get the REM treatment, use mt90, his full rebuild and ask you if you wanted to change the gearing in anyway, if you did then there are some different options for you...
thanks
Old Feb 2, 2007, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Just finished installing my Stage II TRE trans with Evo 9 first gear and Cryo'd gears. Trans feels like brand spanking new!
Old Feb 2, 2007, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOlunchbox
You sure about that honcho...
Shep is a great guy and builds good stuff. TRE does the same. I have had my TRE trans. for a very long time . I had a great experience with Jon. The man lives breaths eats Evo/DSM trans., that is ALL he does... !
+
My TC and tranny was done by TRE going on 3 years and we are running low 9’s and daily driven!
Eider way they bought know their ****

Last edited by ProccoEVO; Feb 3, 2007 at 07:13 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KartaRailed
Why would you call TRE when it has been proven time and time again that TRE trannys always fail before Shep trannys on equally powerful cars?
This statement is utter nonsense.

TRE transmissions have been the **** since long before Evos were imported into the U.S. Jon Ripple is at the forefront of sourcing, testing, and experimentation for better parts for Mitsubishi transmissions and has been since most of you were wearing short pants.

TRE transmissions are in more fast street and race cars than any others, bar none. I've owned at least 6, never had a single issue with any of them, driven VERY hard. How many TRE transmissions have you had and driven? Tell us your personal experience. This "it's been proven" general statement garbage is worthless. Just stick to the facts, before you make statements impugning someone's work.

John Shepherd is a great racer. He builds good transmissions as well. I'm not dissing John in any way.

In my experience, these are the two best known transmission builders in the DSM/Evo North American world right now. They do, however, include different services in their builds. Compare the descriptions, and talk to them both, and you'll get a good feel for what you're buying.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:44 AM
Account Disabled

Both build great tranny's, no need to argue it, I just went with Shepherd...can't go wrong with either...
Old Feb 4, 2007, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Yeah his is broken and must be fixed. Im talking if yours isnt broken. Should I take out my trans and have it done up because it "might" break? I dont think so.

BTW, you know the 903whp AMS EVO runs the stock transmission.

Large file but here it is

Here is my ring gear from my t-case, no it was not broke but if you look at the teeth around 8 o clock you will see compaction on them, also there was 4 teeth with cracks at the root. By cleaning and magnafluxing it was obvious the ring and pinon needed changing. Much cheaper then having a catastrophic failure of the gear in my opinion.

My trans on the other hand waas perfect so it cost very little to have Jon pull it apart and do a full inspection.

Last edited by 4ringturncoat; Feb 4, 2007 at 05:05 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Should you change your oil because it might turn to sludge? LOL...nobody is telling you what to do. We are telling you what we've done.