Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shepherd Racing options???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2007, 03:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shepherd Racing options???

Well, I blew my tranny about 3 weeks ago and they finally recieved the tranny and pulled it apart. I destroyed first gear and part of second so they needed to replace my first, second and input shaft as well as the final drive (piece got caught in it) and now its time to decide if its which options are worth doing, mainly the rem treatment for the entire gearset...I would like peoples opinions on this...
Old Jan 29, 2007, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

rem treatment for the whole gearset would be nice as long as anything else didn't get snapped off in the mayhem, if no hope is left, and you got a fat wallet, i would give ole TRE a call. good luck man!
Old Jan 29, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOVIII200
rem treatment for the whole gearset would be nice as long as anything else didn't get snapped off in the mayhem, if no hope is left, and you got a fat wallet, i would give ole TRE a call. good luck man!
Why would you call TRE when it has been proven time and time again that TRE trannys always fail before Shep trannys on equally powerful cars? Stock gearset with REM cryo is an awsome idea. If I were you I would get it, for 80 bucks its quite worth it. Mine should be back in my car withing a couple of weeks, I cant wait.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 03:49 PM
Account Disabled

Well I am talking about the full gear set getting the treatment which is 250...
Old Jan 29, 2007, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KartaRailed
Why would you call TRE when it has been proven time and time again that TRE trannys always fail before Shep trannys on equally powerful cars? Stock gearset with REM cryo is an awsome idea. If I were you I would get it, for 80 bucks its quite worth it. Mine should be back in my car withing a couple of weeks, I cant wait.

Do you have some hard data to back up the asinine statement you just made? Come on, think before you type!
Old Jan 29, 2007, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat
Do you have some hard data to back up the asinine statement you just made? Come on, think before you type!
Do some research, the answers are out there. IMO Shepherd>TRE in all aspects from what I've read on this forum the past 3 years
Old Jan 29, 2007, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat
Wow. All I said is I have heard of TRE trannys taking a ****, and I have never heard one complaint on a Shep built tranny, I dont think that requires any thinking, and it is quite far from asinine. Good one though.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 05:07 PM
Account Disabled

Guys lets try to stay on topic, the tranny is at shepherd for a reason, I am just wondering about the rem treatments and what people think of them...
Old Jan 29, 2007, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KartaRailed
Wow. All I said is I have heard of TRE trannys taking a ****, and I have never heard one complaint on a Shep built tranny, I dont think that requires any thinking, and it is quite far from asinine. Good one though.
No, what you said was
proven time and time again that TRE trannys always fail before Shep trannys
So instead of "you heard" about TRE's transmissions why don't you provide us some post links to back up your claim? So yes, that is an assinine statement.

As for Shep, I just had them rebuild my transfer case and John himself told me that he no longer does Cryo treatments on the Xfer cases because he hasn't seen any evidence that it helps out in any way. He now only does REM treatment on them and says it cuts the turn around time by a lot. I don't know if this also applies to his transmission rebuilds...but he does recommend the process, at least for the xfer case

Last edited by Cirrusly Evolvd; Jan 29, 2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you going to stay with the stock gearing, or change gearing too. If so, which gears will you change?
Old Jan 29, 2007, 06:36 PM
Account Disabled

I am staying with the stock gearing as I feel no need to change it with my goals, the car basically goes to a track every weekend, either autox or drag racing as it saw about 10 autox this season and 166 drag passes...I plan on building the motor at some point and putting a 125 shot of nitrous on it for the drag strip and leaving the tme turbo for the autox...plus the car is DD so I like the tme for that...
Old Jan 29, 2007, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

infighting aside, spend every dollar you can while the tranny is out. It will save you money later. REM and Cryo everything you can.

I have a shep tranny and am happy. I ALMOST had a TRE, but they never answered the phone when I called. Shep did every time, before, during, and after the sale.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 09:10 PM
Account Disabled

yea so far they have been great with the service, A+++ to that aspect, I think I am just going to leave it up to them and give them a CC number, I trust their judgement when it comes to trannies...
Old Jan 29, 2007, 09:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
like what jbrown said do it all the correct way.

cause youll never need to do it again. if you half *** it in another 20k youll need to do it again. so its going to end up costing you more in the future.

cheers!
Old Jan 29, 2007, 09:28 PM
Account Disabled

so I guess most people go with the REM treatment as well as everything else, man this car is a never ending money pit but worth every penny of it...