Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Warning for anyone who cares about their transmission...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:39 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning for anyone who cares about their transmission...

I just wanted to post this up as its something I did not know...like many of the evo owners on the board here, I changed my tranny fluid from oem to aftermarket (in my case GM synchromesh), (2 times in 16k but I do an excessive amount of racing) and with each change I noticed more and more metal shavings and the first time there were almost none...well I never thought anything of it as I figured it was normal wear and tear...WRONG...the typically synchromesh and other commonly used fluids are great as they give the tranny a super smooth feel but what I did not know is that I was doing damage to my gears...reason being is that the fluids are very thin in comparison and don't give the gears the proper lubrication...this is why I saw very little metal in the first tranny fluid change and progressively more in the last couple...my tranny finally died out on me and I basically destroyed first and second to the point they along with my final drive and input shaft needed to be replaced...if I had used a thicker fluid such as the redline mt 90 as John from Shepherd Racing suggests on all evo trannys I might not have blown the tranny in the first place, even if I did it wouldn't have went out so fast...I just wanted to post this up as almost every thread I had read about tranny fluid suggests the wrong fluid...

Last edited by Ultimate CC; Jan 30, 2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I always use everything OEM, as far fluids, seriously i did put RED LINE in front and rear dif. after 50miles or so the car started to make weird noises when i was turning left or right from dead stop. I changed the fluid back to OEM (Which i always do use OEM but i wanted to give it a shot) the noise just disapear. Someone told me you have to flush the previous oil to use aftermarket one Hmm, not sure about that. From now on everything OEM, IT is funny how people post OH IT shifts better, smooth, I understand if you have build trans, dif's, you can use aftermarket OIL. just my .o2
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
What fluid did you have in there? Pennzoil Synchromesh or BG Synco-Shift?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:51 AM
Account Disabled

yea I am not sure about the diffs and tcase as I use oem diaqueen for those but the tranny I used the synchromesh and now I am paying for it (the 166 drag passes help too haha)...
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:52 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
What fluid did you have in there? Pennzoil Synchromesh or BG Synco-Shift?
I used the GM but they are all much thinner than mt90...
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

I was running AmsOil 95w gear oil in my tranny, shifted like butter, and this stuff was so thick, I tried changing it on a cold day, (36 degrees) and I had a hard time getting the oil to go into the transmission. Its quality stuff, and I only used it because the mitsubishi dealers local didnt know what Diaqueen was.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

I'm stickin with shep.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:58 AM
Account Disabled

yea so far they have been a pleasure to deal with and really feel I made the right decision with choosing them...
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LOL Dumb people at the dealer, or you know how much they charge for CAN of diaqueen? 150 bux ! haha where you can buy it from lancershop for 50 bux and it will last you for 2 changes EASY or even 3 ,since i let my buddy to do his.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Ha, ya Id say 166 passes would hurt some

I just OEM for the TC and diffs. But I have BG I in my trans, 10k so far, Im do for a fluid change there next oil change. Ill have to look for excessive metal shavings. I spoke with Jon @ TRE for a good while about BG - he recommends changing it more often - 15k street driving or every 3-4 races. The Pennzoil and GM are thinner than the BG and break down faster - so they would have to be changed sooner.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tweakdsm
LOL Dumb people at the dealer, or you know how much they charge for CAN of diaqueen? 150 bux ! haha where you can buy it from lancershop for 50 bux and it will last you for 2 changes EASY or even 3 ,since i let my buddy to do his.
Or $35 from Mitsubishiparts.net

http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/?section=489
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm interesting... i'll check mine out next week and see what happens
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
I just wanted to post this up as its something I did not know...like many of the evo owners on the board here, I changed my tranny fluid from oem to aftermarket (in my case GM synchromesh), (2 times in 16k but I do an excessive amount of racing) and with each change I noticed more and more metal shavings and the first time there were almost none...well I never thought anything of it as I figured it was normal wear and tear...WRONG...the typically synchromesh and other commonly used fluids are great as they give the tranny a super smooth feel but what I did not know is that I was doing damage to my gears...reason being is that the fluids are very thin in comparison and don't give the gears the proper lubrication...this is why I saw very little metal in the first tranny fluid change and progressively more in the last couple...my tranny finally died out on me and I basically destroyed first and second to the point they along with my final drive and input shaft needed to be replaced...if I had used a thicker fluid such as the redline mt 90 as John from Shepherd Racing suggests on all evo trannys I might not have blown the tranny in the first place, even if I did it wouldn't have went out so fast...I just wanted to post this up as almost every thread I had read about tranny fluid suggests the wrong fluid...

YEP ..100% correct

M/T Tranny post

300ZX TT have native M/T problems and synchro issues .. redline mtl 90 is used by most in the Z community ( royal purple is pretty good also )
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
I used the GM but they are all much thinner than mt90...

Damn, I love the way my tranny has felt with the BG, but if Shep (Evo transmission god) says use Redline then I am going to switch.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Sorrry about your luck.. I've always used the BG as well, I guess I'll have to look into changing that out now..

Quick Reply: Warning for anyone who cares about their transmission...