Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Go for HKS 2.3 stroker or stick with my JUN 2.2?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlunchbox
JUN and HKS "race" blocks are a huge waste of money IMHO.
Get a Buschur 2.3 and be done. HKS manifolds break, ask Big Al. They also don't warranty the mani. HKS turbos are WAY over priced. Just get it direct from Garrett or FP or where ever.
Sorry I'm so straight forward but I'm saying what everyone else is thinking. Good luck!
i think he should waste his money, since hes a big baller! go big or go home
Old Feb 1, 2007, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1NASTYIXMR
i think he should waste his money, since hes a big baller! go big or go home
Hey, whatever he thinks will make him go fast is his decision. I couldn't imagine the cost alone to ship the engine. Let alone the down time in the shop, the car, and other factors when dealing with a Japanese company coming from another country.
Like I said good luck...
Old Feb 1, 2007, 07:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by rawandbruteEVO
That is if I decide to upgrade my turbo further to a GT3540 . .
The 1000cc injectors you are using presently would be fine even if you did. You'll gain nothing from the unnecessarily large 1600cc injectors. It will just be more difficult to tune and will run less efficiently in all that stop and go traffic.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

I think Tomei makes a full engine for more than some cars cost. Now that would be big ballin. I think I'll see if my bank will finance me on that tomorrow.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

JUN and HKS "race" blocks are a huge waste of money IMHO.
Get a Buschur 2.3 and be done. HKS manifolds break, ask Big Al. They also don't warranty the mani. HKS turbos are WAY over priced. Just get it direct from Garrett or FP or where ever.
Sorry I'm so straight forward but I'm saying what everyone else is thinking. Good luck!
First of all, I am not willing to waste my money on anything. There is a reason why I went for the JUN parts. We had invested so much time and nights doing the research and testing other project cars on this set-up and all we can say is that it perfectly fits my requirements. Second, quartermile times are not my only basis. There are many factors I look into. Acceleration, time from 0-200mph, Vmax, fun factor, handling, etc. Handling so far is perfect. I dont mind only having this in the high 10s, for as long as they all pass my standards. Third, we did this somewhat same engine set-up on an Evo VI TME. Except we did not use a JUN engine block and just a T67 turbine. It still had a 2.2 JUN stroker and a Motec. It ran 10.76, Vmaxed in the hway at 310kph (almost 200mph), driven at the heavy traffic in Manila, and was driven on winding roads to tagaytay. That was way back 2000 when the TME was brand new.

Speaking of the HKS manifold cracking, so far, it never did in mine. Though we are upgrading to an HKS GT3240 turbine, thats why we are using an HRS manifild to accomodate such.

Last, this set-up underwent painstaking research since 1998 when we were experimenting on Evo 5s and we so far can guarantee that this is so far more value than what I will be paying for.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Apex Racer
I think Tomei makes a full engine for more than some cars cost. Now that would be big ballin. I think I'll see if my bank will finance me on that tomorrow.
I think those are the Tomei 2.2 Derive engines. And yes, they are perfect engines too especially if you will be bring your car to the circuit
Old Feb 1, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

I was mostly kiding, But if I could I would. Unfortunatley I dont roll like that. Maybe once the car is paid off, I will sell a kidney or somthing.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Why sell a kidney when you can sell a nut for $250,000? Let us know how it works out.. lol
Old Feb 1, 2007, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

First of all, I am not willing to waste my money on anything. There is a reason why I went for the JUN parts. We had invested so much time and nights doing the research and testing other project cars on this set-up and all we can say is that it perfectly fits my requirements. Second, quartermile times are not my only basis. There are many factors I look into. Acceleration, time from 0-200mph, Vmax, fun factor, handling, etc. Handling so far is perfect. I dont mind only having this in the high 10s, for as long as they all pass my standards. Third, we did this somewhat same engine set-up on an Evo VI TME. Except we did not use a JUN engine block and just a T67 turbine. It still had a 2.2 JUN stroker and a Motec. It ran 10.76, Vmaxed in the hway at 310kph (almost 200mph), driven at the heavy traffic in Manila, and was driven on winding roads to tagaytay. That was way back 2000 when the TME was brand new.

Speaking of the HKS manifold cracking, so far, it never did in mine. Though we are upgrading to an HKS GT3240 turbine, thats why we are using an HRS manifild to accomodate such.

Last, this set-up underwent painstaking research since 1998 when we were experimenting on Evo 5s and we so far can guarantee that this is so far more value than what I will be paying for.
Good luck with that, I'm going to stop now. Keep us updated

You are closer to Japan than the US so I guess what I said about shipping is not a factor for you. However, I would be interested in your testing results. It may save a lot of us in the U.S. a lot of wasted money.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Well thats quite a toss up. kidney or nut, kidney or nut. I just can't decide. But surely, I must do somthing. 21,000 for an engine is not just going to be left on my door step.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck with that, I'm going to stop now. Keep us updated

You are closer to Japan than the US so I guess what I said about shipping is not a factor for you. However, I would be interested in your testing results. It may save a lot of us in the U.S. a lot of wasted money.
Reason also is that Creative Speed in Manila is a branch of the one in Japan. The owner was a mechanic at JUN and Bozzspeed. So there are direct connections.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Reason also is that Creative Speed in Manila is a branch of the one in Japan. The owner was a mechanic at JUN and Bozzspeed. So there are direct connections.
That explains a lot of the Japanese connections and parts.

iI'm still interested in your testing and resluts.... if you care to share. Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2007, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

That explains a lot of the Japanese connections and parts.

iI'm still interested in your testing and resluts.... if you care to share. Thanks
Sure I will share the results and some vids when everything is done. We did the same test on a Skyline GTR and it was totally awesome. Go to youtube and type "Autoplus". That was a JUN built engine with twin HKS GT3240s.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Apex Racer
Well thats quite a toss up. kidney or nut, kidney or nut. I just can't decide. But surely, I must do somthing. 21,000 for an engine is not just going to be left on my door step.
To be honest, I do not want to think of the price , but what I am after are the results. For as long as they give me the results I want, the amount I spent on this will somehow be insignificant already. I just have to get this done soon.

FYI, I have another upcoming project car. It'll be a surprise. Clue, its a Euro
Old Feb 1, 2007, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Man I wish I was in your boat

Quick Reply: Go for HKS 2.3 stroker or stick with my JUN 2.2?