Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Well my clutch is going out...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2007, 05:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to retain a drivetrain warranty the dealer will not support you unless you replace the set. I have found this true most of the time.

Considering the guy was looking for a performance replacement I figured the Stage 1 was a good choice. I have been around enough clutches, installed, and so forth to say the stock clutch is a great unit. I have one in my modded EVO right now. When it goes I have an Exedy Stage 2 ready to be installed.

If money was not an option I would choose a Exedy twin disc SD/HD. Very few of them have went with 1k miles, more than likely those due to slight manufacturer defect, install error, or improper break in.

Most ACT issues are adjustment although I have seen the ACT clutch tear through more t-cases then an Exedy. Once ACT releases than twin disc it will be an interesting market.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

my exedy twin broke in 2 weeks,i payed 1,400 dollare from buscher.and it was put in properly,a shop that does many evo's.i now have act and it's a much better clutch............................................ ..............................
Old Feb 3, 2007, 05:39 PM
Former Sponsor

I know for sure Buschur will tell you to get rid of that ACT and get an Exedy.

What did you do with the old exedy?
Old Feb 3, 2007, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock clutch is FINE. I've have 352/335 for the last 25k. Done plenty of launches/spirited driving and some drag. Car has 36k and is still working.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by svtkiller
OK so you can't drive your car thanks for pointing that out to us. My stock clutch lasted til 68,000-69,000 miles and my car makes 300whp on a DD dyno, My suggestion to you is invest in a driver mod, you know one who matches engine rev's and all that fancy stuff and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

OH and ON TOPIC EXEDY FTW
No moron I said there is a learning curve when you go from a car that makes instant tourque and rear wheel drive to one you have to pussyfoot it out the hole . My car made 344hp and 324tq on 21psi on a mustang dyno want to compare e-***** as well ? And last time I checked what the hell does rev matching have to do with launching ? Please tell me this one of great double clutching rev master .

Regardless the stock clutch blows ! Mine never grabbed from day one even though I did manage a couple 1.79 60's with it . But from all the slipping out of the hole it would slip on the top end . Hell mine even slipped last time on the dyno tuning my car maybe if I would have rev matched on the dyno it would be ok .
Old Feb 4, 2007, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

i gave up and i threw it out!because exedy was giving me the run around and pissed me off and buscher was not that helpfull neither.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 09:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bluebyu36
i gave up and i threw it out!because exedy was giving me the run around and pissed me off and buscher was not that helpfull neither.
could have sold it.... the great thing about that clutch is the discs dont cost an arm and a leg and ya have a brand new clutch.

i've had my twin for 12k now and still drives brand new.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I have the ACT HDSS no lock out and pefect for my Daily Driver. You can reuse the stock flywheel just make sure you get it machined to true it up

I have the same clutch. 350 whp 302 wtq on Buschers MD 10k few launches is a good clutch. And cheap

And Buscher did tell me to trash my $200.00 refirb ACT (Refinished disk $60.00 from ACT) for a $1,400 Exedy lol No thanks. I got alot of greif for it but I am really happy

Last edited by AfireINSIDE; Feb 4, 2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

i think i just had a bad one .
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

I used to think that I had a weak stock clutch until I learned how to drive it.

The biggest problem for people is that they learn to drive with the stock clutch by frying the crap out of it. Another problem is that the evo has a crappy rubber clutch line, a clutch restrictor which slows engagement and a high engagement point.

My stock clutch is holding like new and I trap 117mph+, Nuff said.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

^^True one of my first mods was to put in a S/S line and remove the restrictor.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:34 PM

Thanks for all the great information guys, Ive decided on going Exedy, first off for it being aftermarket and somewhat an upgrade, and also for it not even being close to the factories price.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 03:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Let us know how it works out for you!
Old Feb 4, 2007, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

i had to replace the clutch in my viii not too long ago. unfortunately i didn't really get a chance to have any fun with it because i traded it on on a new ix before i was done breaking it it.

at any rate, i got the exedy single organic, with a prostreet lightened flywheel. i was pretty happy with the clutch when i got used to it. it felt very strong, and once i got used to the increased pedal stiffness it gave great "feedback" too.

i also really liked the flywheel. it was a 10.5lb one. it was slightly harder to start on hills, but nothing that really made the car impractical or even annoying to drive.

Last edited by MondoBongo; Feb 4, 2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

And the stock clutch is fine..It's all you Racers going to the track and beating the living **** out of it.

Quick Reply: Well my clutch is going out...