Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Well my clutch is going out...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well my clutch is going out...

Well since Thursday I have noticed a burning scent coming from my front end, the engine wasnt overheating and the car seemed to be slipping. So today i took it in, and as i thought, the clutch is going out.

Now my car is pure stock, and warranty is somewhat running out. I was looking into getting an aftermarket clutch as to the factory is some $1200, and not as dependable as i've seen. I was looking into getting either an ACT or Exedy.

I dont need a very "Heavy Duty" one as im not planning on ever acquiring alot more HP, and I was also wondering whether i need to get a new flywheel. If it is a necessity (or for that matter be an upgrade) because i know i can have my current one used.

Oh by the way im sitting at 30XXX Miles, a 2005 Evo MR, with absolutely no aftermarket parts. Just been keeping it real.

So im here asking what you guys think would be the best option, Best "inexpensive" clutch, yet best bang for my buck. Thanks again in advance.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 01:32 PM

just remember...
you get what you pay for
Old Feb 3, 2007, 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor

If you are planning to keep things fairly stock the Exedy Stage 1 is a very good clutch. It can be had for under $500 if you look in the right places and you can reuse the original flywheel if it is not warped/damaged.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

why do people keep saying the stock clutch is crap? I have almost 50,000 miles on the stock clutch and my car is modified since 20K miles. If people do launches then i can understand, but i track the car and drive it hard on the street and the clutch has still holding up so please stop spreading misinformation...the stock clutch is totally fine as long as people don't launch the car from every stop light they come to a stop at.

Also i don't think you need to get the entire clutch replaced. just get the parts that are worn out and dealerships can order the clutch plate, pressure plate etc.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

That makes me feel better kzevo
Old Feb 3, 2007, 02:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your're happy with the stock clutch and it lasted you that long... i would just keep the stock one

if you plan on racing a little more and launching more often i'm 100% for exedy. i havent read any problems at all with them. act on the other hand i still hear about lock out issue's

cheers!
Old Feb 3, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I have the ACT HDSS no lock out and pefect for my Daily Driver. You can reuse the stock flywheel just make sure you get it machined to true it up
Old Feb 3, 2007, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Man, i would DEFINATELY go with the exedy.

My stock clutch lasted me 50k with 350+whp, multiple launches and autox events

I just recently put in an Exedy Twin HD clutch, flywheel, TOB, and SS clutchline; a little over the top but i wanted a clutch that could hold me current power and allow for a possible turbo upgrade in the future

I would stay away form ACT, i was going to purchase an ACT until i drove one- three of my friend have had problems wth hi-rev lockout and grinds.

As Joe03 stated, 'you get what you pay for '
Old Feb 3, 2007, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
if your're happy with the stock clutch and it lasted you that long... i would just keep the stock one

if you plan on racing a little more and launching more often i'm 100% for exedy. i havent read any problems at all with them. act on the other hand i still hear about lock out issue's

cheers!
false information. many of the exedy twin disc's have failed. some with only 1k miles.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KZEVO
why do people keep saying the stock clutch is crap?

Because it is ! I've got 5'000 miles on my car and it won't hold a laucnh from 5500rpms for nothing . Oh and it starts slipping above 6500rpms as well sometimes . I've read on here more people say the stock clutch sucks than it doesn't ( 95% - 5% ) .

I will say my clutch is probably screwed from trying to learn how to launch this car since I come from just dropping the clutch at the track ( RWD + torque ) . But all in all it doesn't handle mods well at all and is easy to find the thresh hold of the stock clutch .
Old Feb 3, 2007, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Yea 90% of the lockout issues I hear off with the ACT is improper clutch pedal adjustment. Mine revs to the higest usable RPM and finds home everytime. Must have gotten lucky or more likely I adjusted my engagement properly.

On a second note anyone who has an EVO IX that has to replace a clutch already is eaither beating the crap out of their car or does not know how to drive a stick shift.

The clutch in my 03 had 50k + on it I only changed it cause it would shutter on take of and the pedal engagement was getting near the top of its adjustment. Other than that it would not slip at all using the 5th gear trick
Old Feb 3, 2007, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRevolutionRed
false information. many of the exedy twin disc's have failed. some with only 1k miles.
Usually due to improper installation, exedy customer service is top-notch and if it is a manufacturing defect they will usually replace it.

If you drag your car constantly then I would get the exedy twin disc hd, good luck.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SVT2Evo?
Because it is ! I've got 5'000 miles on my car and it won't hold a laucnh from 5500rpms for nothing . Oh and it starts slipping above 6500rpms as well sometimes . I've read on here more people say the stock clutch sucks than it doesn't ( 95% - 5% ) .

I will say my clutch is probably screwed from trying to learn how to launch this car since I come from just dropping the clutch at the track ( RWD + torque ) . But all in all it doesn't handle mods well at all and is easy to find the thresh hold of the stock clutch .

OK so you can't drive your car thanks for pointing that out to us. My stock clutch lasted til 68,000-69,000 miles and my car makes 300whp on a DD dyno, My suggestion to you is invest in a driver mod, you know one who matches engine rev's and all that fancy stuff and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

OH and ON TOPIC EXEDY FTW
Old Feb 3, 2007, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KZEVO
why do people keep saying the stock clutch is crap? etc.
Because when you launch and drive like a dink. It doesn last. So hence the reason when it gets over heated and people slip the **** outta it they expect it to contiue to work.

arent there people out there with 35rs on the Stock clutch?

on topic.I have a ACT hdss ith a prostreet flywheel. I have 20k, miles over 200 launches and track vists and year i drive like a complete jerk, i've had lock out once and it was an adjustment issue. AND i slip the ish outta it when i launch.... well see how it hold up with the 35r!

Last edited by Spooldyou; Feb 3, 2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

<offtopic> heh, what a coincidence! I came with the idea of having my username titled BLueDemon and also to have a license plate titled Blu DMON too lol. As they say, Great minds think alike </offtopic>.

Now, Exedy clutches are excellent in holding the abuse of our special kind of driving system (All-wheel drive) and our driving habits (for some ppl you know what I'm talking about ) plus launching them on drag strips from tens to dare I say hundreds of times .

The few ppl that I've heard that their exedy cluth have failed/burn out somehow (especially that kid at 1k miles ), most of them have been related to installation errors for sure while I cannot disregard the few of those incidents being related to manufacturing error cuz there is always those very few that break through inspection unnoticed. Also the ACT clutch is an excellent choice as well and it is way cheaper too.

Whichever choice you make, don't forget to have it installed by a company/person you can trust. Research their background and/or comments by other ppl that have their clutch done by them and make your decision . Go

Quick Reply: Well my clutch is going out...